xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: I Need To Get Some Decent Abs And Lose Some Weight  (Read 79 times)

Hoppy

• Archived User
I Need To Get Some Decent Abs And Lose Some Weight
« on: January 10, 2004, 11:22:00 AM »

*bump*

What time of day is the best for your body to maxamize work out results?

plehem13

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2004, 11:59:00 AM »

As far as I know it does not really matter. I prefer to do it in the evening. Just make sure you get the protein you need after the workout. Try to always work out at the same time of day though, and not to just toss the schedule around for whenever you have time. After doing it at the same time for a while, your body gets used to it. It will actually start to prepare itself before the workout and you will have a little easier time.

Forgot about this thread! How is everyone doing with their goals and such? I'm doing great.

Hoppy

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2004, 12:08:00 PM »

QUOTE (plehem13 @ Jan 10 2004, 04:59 PM)
Forgot about this thread! How is everyone doing with their goals and such? I'm doing great.

Unfortunately I stopped working out a little before Christmas.  Been helping my father everyday with some wintertime remodeling of his house.  I plan on starting up again this week.  And on an off topic side note, my unholy pig of an ex-boss went for try number 2 at getting my unemployment cut off and lost again.  He's now working on his last try.  After that the only thing they can do is take me to court.  And they'd be wise not to.  I've got too much dirt on him and his "company practices".

GaijinPunch

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2004, 08:50:00 PM »

Good luck getting back into.  I've been sticking to my guns, but couldn't go for like 5 days at New Years, as I went to my in-laws for New Years.  The next two trips back were a bit painful, but it's all good now.

I've realized, that eating 4x a day (smaller meals) does wonders for the metabolism.  I eat quite a bit of food, and don't gain/lose any weight.  I used to have to do hardcore diets even to maintain (all fat-free foods and shit).  I love it... just as long as I keep my cardio up, which is hard with a gaming habit.

Drunken Uncle

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2004, 08:16:00 PM »

QUOTE (Hoppy @ Jan 10 2004, 09:22 PM)
*bump*

the morning, before breakfast.

also, gaijin...its possible you hit a plateau. They're sort of a bitch to overcome...ive been at the same weight for the past year regardless of how much I work out, but I do eat pretty shitty so I suppose it makes sense.

ChrisF

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2004, 08:23:00 PM »

QUOTE (Drunken Uncle @ Jan 13 2004, 06:16 AM)
*bump*

Absolutely right.  Much more efficient at going straight to metabolizing fat.  Also works better if you ingest some caffein first (no calories though - try black coffee).

In addition, interval and sprint training are the best for this.  You will retain more lean muscle and burn primarily fat with this type of regimine.

GaijinPunch

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2004, 10:03:00 PM »

QUOTE (Drunken Uncle @ Jan 13 2004, 02:16 PM)
also, gaijin...its possible you hit a plateau.

Very possible, but I could probably be eating a bit better.  I'm considering doing it, but I'm in decent shape at the moment, so not bitching.

gronne

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2004, 08:55:00 AM »

QUOTE (ChrisF @ Jan 13 2004, 06:23 AM)
*bump*

Absolutely right.  Much more efficient at going straight to metabolizing fat.  Also works better if you ingest some caffein first (no calories though - try black coffee).

In addition, interval and sprint training are the best for this.  You will retain more lean muscle and burn primarily fat with this type of regimine.

Wow! It's really nice to see people so engaged about this. Some really good tips too.

I'm not going to say I'm certain this is still the fact, but I clearly remember they made a test with people and the result was that they clearly got more out of the exercise during the evening compared to the morning. But these stuffs always change it seems. The only universal truth I know of is that it's carbs that make you fat, and carbs aren't in your body if you don't take it. So stay out of bad food. And exersice by running and swimming and such, if your purpose is to lose weight that is. If you instead want to gain in muscle weight you should go for heavy weights. But if you're fat I'd say that you should completely stay out of increasing your muscle mass, because it's not going to show off until you're thin enough. And fat doesn't get off from specifically your belly just because you do a lot of crunshes, it goes off from all parts of your body, so don't think doing crunshes will make you lose fat on your belly specifically.

Hope it goes well for all of you who are serious about this. And the rest of you guys who tries it out but end after two weeks saying "No, I don't think I have time for it this time" - You will only lose on it thinking it's so sad for you. Get away from your PC for a time and try it out, eventually you'll feel a guilty conscious if you don't exercise, and by the summer you might be showing off on the beach. DON'T LOSE FAITH IN IT!!!!

Aunt_Jemima

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2004, 03:23:00 PM »

QUOTE (gronne @ Feb 17 2004, 06:55 PM)
QUOTE (ChrisF @ Jan 13 2004, 06:23 AM)
*bump*

Wow! It's really nice to see people so engaged about this. Some really good tips too.

I'm not going to say I'm certain this is still the fact, but I clearly remember they made a test with people and the result was that they clearly got more out of the exercise during the evening compared to the morning. But these stuffs always change it seems. The only universal truth I know of is that it's carbs that make you fat, and carbs aren't in your body if you don't take it. So stay out of bad food. And exersice by running and swimming and such, if your purpose is to lose weight that is. If you instead want to gain in muscle weight you should go for heavy weights. But if you're fat I'd say that you should completely stay out of increasing your muscle mass, because it's not going to show off until you're thin enough. And fat doesn't get off from specifically your belly just because you do a lot of crunshes, it goes off from all parts of your body, so don't think doing crunshes will make you lose fat on your belly specifically.

Hope it goes well for all of you who are serious about this. And the rest of you guys who tries it out but end after two weeks saying "No, I don't think I have time for it this time" - You will only lose on it thinking it's so sad for you. Get away from your PC for a time and try it out, eventually you'll feel a guilty conscious if you don't exercise, and by the summer you might be showing off on the beach. DON'T LOSE FAITH IN IT!!!!

It is NOT the carbs that make you fat. Don't fall into the latest low-carb craze and get confused, please. Carbs are ENERGY. If you want to run, workout, whatever, you NEED carbs. Just keep them in check, don't overload. They CAN make you fat if you don't work them off. Because what is fat? Stored energy. If you don't burn off that energy made by carbs, then yeah it'll turn to fat.

The secret (not a secret, more like common sense but calling it a secret sounds better) is to burn off more calories than you consume. That's it.

You're right about saying that doing crunches won't make you lose fat just on your torso. Fat goes on and comes off in proportion. You can't work your stomach fat, then your left arm flab, etc. It just don't work that way. It all comes off together. Also, crunches don't make you lose fat at all. I don't think that's what you were trying to say, just using it as an example, but I'll point that out just in case!

There is no reason to not gain muscle if you are fat. Sure, it's good to shed off that extra flab before you really get going on muscle, but not required. The stronger you are, the more tone you'll have no matter how much body fat you have. Everyone after gaining muscle mass has to "cut" anyway. No reason to cut, gain, then cut again. If you're #1 thing is to get stronger and gain more muscle mass, just do that. Then lose the fat. If you just want to lose fat, well then go ahead and focus on that. But don't ignore the weights completely. You'll want some tone so you don't look like a stick figure.

To lose fat, you want to do cardio exercise. Cardio exercise consists of: running, jogging, walking, swimming, rowing, biking (great), stuff like that. Best way, even better than the cardio, is called High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). Google that for more information. It's difficult, but it pays off damn nicely.

For muscle building, hit the weights (duh)! And remember to get your protein. You need at least 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. For example, if you weight 170 pounds, you need to take in at least 170 grams of protein a day. Stay away from too much cardio when trying to gain muscle. I don't do any cardio at all when I'm putting on muscle, but it's okay to go for a 30 minute jog once a week or so.

...some of that was a reply to the quote and then I just got carried away. Sorry.  smile.gif

Aunt_Jemima

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2004, 03:27:00 PM »

QUOTE (Spency234 @ Feb 17 2004, 03:04 PM)
I was lookin through this thread again today (some pretty good tips in here) and saw that someone recommended you drink a gallon of water a day.

So I decided to find out how much I am actually drinking a day and it's closer to 2 gallons!!  ohmy.gif

So I was wondering, should I cut this down??  Is there a limit to how much water you should drink?

Co-worker of mine is saying that I will not only flush out all of the toxins in my body, but I'll also start flushing out some of the vitamins.  Is there any truth to that?

Two gallons? Great! Tell your co-worker his a stupid head (or something...). Two gallons is great. Drink more if you want/can. That one gallon that was mentioned is a minimum. Drinking bunches won't hurt you in the slightest. Just don't get too carried away and go chug the water cooler. smile.gif

Muntzster

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2004, 03:45:00 PM »

biggrin.gif

Aunt_Jemima

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2004, 03:49:00 PM »

QUOTE (Muntzster @ Feb 18 2004, 01:45 AM)
im almost 6' tall 5' 11" to be exzact ... i weigh 140 pounds... and i look too very skinny...

but i have abs...  biggrin.gif

You guys who have that superfast metabolism and have abs without ever doing a single crunch piss me off so much!  smile.gif

Eat a cookie dammit!

Spency234

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2004, 04:34:00 PM »

QUOTE (Aunt_Jemima @ Feb 17 2004, 08:23 PM)
It is NOT the carbs that make you fat. Don't fall into the latest low-carb craze and get confused, please. Carbs are ENERGY. If you want to run, workout, whatever, you NEED carbs. Just keep them in check, don't overload. They CAN make you fat if you don't work them off. Because what is fat? Stored energy. If you don't burn off that energy made by carbs, then yeah it'll turn to fat.

The secret (not a secret, more like common sense but calling it a secret sounds better) is to burn off more calories than you consume. That's it.

You're right about saying that doing crunches won't make you lose fat just on your torso. Fat goes on and comes off in proportion. You can't work your stomach fat, then your left arm flab, etc. It just don't work that way. It all comes off together. Also, crunches don't make you lose fat at all. I don't think that's what you were trying to say, just using it as an example, but I'll point that out just in case!

There is no reason to not gain muscle if you are fat. Sure, it's good to shed off that extra flab before you really get going on muscle, but not required. The stronger you are, the more tone you'll have no matter how much body fat you have. Everyone after gaining muscle mass has to "cut" anyway. No reason to cut, gain, then cut again. If you're #1 thing is to get stronger and gain more muscle mass, just do that. Then lose the fat. If you just want to lose fat, well then go ahead and focus on that. But don't ignore the weights completely. You'll want some tone so you don't look like a stick figure.

To lose fat, you want to do cardio exercise. Cardio exercise consists of: running, jogging, walking, swimming, rowing, biking (great), stuff like that. Best way, even better than the cardio, is called High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). Google that for more information. It's difficult, but it pays off damn nicely.

For muscle building, hit the weights (duh)! And remember to get your protein. You need at least 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. For example, if you weight 170 pounds, you need to take in at least 170 grams of protein a day. Stay away from too much cardio when trying to gain muscle. I don't do any cardio at all when I'm putting on muscle, but it's okay to go for a 30 minute jog once a week or so.

...some of that was a reply to the quote and then I just got carried away. Sorry.  smile.gif

Great post!!

beerchug.gif

Mars10

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2004, 04:52:00 PM »

Play Dance Dance Revolution, its free (on PC), and you can get a mat for cheap from levelsix.com.

GaijinPunch

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2004, 06:31:00 AM »

even better than the cardio, is called High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT).

I'm going to check this out.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7