xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Arggg! I Give Up.  (Read 83 times)

Zebra

• Archived User
Arggg! I Give Up.
« on: January 11, 2004, 09:19:00 AM »

Login is no problem. I can see all the servers from my PC and BO-Xlink and enter the rooms no problem. From there I can boot the actual game title and see the hosted game in the multiplayer/system link area, but when I try to join the game I get a "connection failure" or "session no longer available", etc. depending on the title. I have tried Halo, R63, PGR2, etc. I tried with a wired and wireless connection (Linksys game adapter) with the same result. The xbox is connected to my computer with a Belkin router and the PC is placed in the DMZ for port access. I normally run Zone Alarm Pro for a firewall and configured it to allow the port access, but I also tried shuting down Zone Alarm with no change. I am so close... Any ideas? Thanks.  <

froibaard

• Archived User
Arggg! I Give Up.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2004, 09:30:00 AM »

do you have a new MAC address?  <

Zebra

• Archived User
Arggg! I Give Up.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2004, 09:49:00 AM »

No, I have a 1.1 box and I tried both the original XLink app and the new MAC address one with the same result. Forgot to mention that.  <

Zebra

• Archived User
Arggg! I Give Up.
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2004, 04:07:00 PM »

Any ideas?  <

dfunked

• Archived User
Arggg! I Give Up.
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2004, 04:26:00 PM »

You're not using wireless at all, so the issue you're talking of usually is to do with a firewall.

Check for an WinXP firewall if you have that, and turn that off. I remember putting on ZoneAlarm as a test, and even with access allowed for XLink, ZA would not let me join a system link game.

I took ZA off and it worked as normal.  <

tedtedson

• Archived User
Arggg! I Give Up.
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2004, 06:38:00 PM »

Not sure if this will fix your problem, but I had the same issue on my wireless network (using a WET11 bridge). This fixed it.

Go to your wet11 setup (i.e. in the browser) and turn on "Enable MAC Address cloning" (top right in my Firmware Version: 1.5.4). Hit "Apply". When the page reloads, the WET11's MAC Address will be 00:00:00:00:00:00. This is what you want.

Now start X-Link and make the X-Box look for games. You'll see the Local X-Box show up with its real MAC Address (should be 0050...). If you don't have "Enable MAC Address cloning" turned on, you'll see the MAC address of your WET11 - no good (should be, but it isn't).

It seems that X-Link disregards non-X-Box Mac Addresses when you actually connect to games. The WET11 nomination stuff in the Advanced Setting seems to have no impact on whether or not X-Link sees the X-Box. I was able to see games and connect, but it would immediately drop when I joined the game. Now all fixed. Basically, if you don't see the X-Box's real MAC address in X-link, I don't think it will work.

tedtedson   <

Zebra

• Archived User
Arggg! I Give Up.
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2004, 05:20:00 PM »

I tried it with both the Windows and ZoneAlarm firewalls turned off and it still did not work. tedtedson is on to something though. BTW, I have a WGA11B, not the WET11.
I cleared out the WET11 settings and hooked it up with the cable and all worked just fine. Getting closer... Then I tried hooking it up with the wireless bridge and nominating the xbox's MAC in the real MAC block and left the WET11 MAC blank. Doing this, I was able to get on any plat some R63 and PGR2 last night with no problems during gameplay. I did notice the 'launch' feature (all my games are on my F drive) did not function at all with the wireless, but hey, I'll take a working game link and non working launch feature instead of the other way around! :)  <

jz28

• Archived User
Arggg! I Give Up.
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2004, 06:04:00 PM »

QUOTE (Zebra @ Jan 14 2004, 09:09 PM)
I tried it with both the Windows and ZoneAlarm firewalls turned off and it still did not work. tedtedson is on to something though. BTW, I have a WGA11B, not the WET11.
I cleared out the WET11 settings and hooked it up with the cable and all worked just fine. Getting closer... Then I tried hooking it up with the wireless bridge and nominating the xbox's MAC in the real MAC block and left the WET11 MAC blank. Doing this, I was able to get on any plat some R63 and PGR2 last night with no problems during gameplay. I did notice the 'launch' feature (all my games are on my F drive) did not function at all with the wireless, but hey, I'll take a working game link and non working launch feature instead of the other way around! :)

actually that whole launch thing is a separate issue, but good to hear its all working out :)  <