xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Mass Baning: Let's Try To Figure Out  (Read 173 times)

Hinotori

• Archived User
Mass Baning: Let's Try To Figure Out
« on: October 21, 2004, 05:27:00 AM »

Sorry, but the other topics are just a mess.... Let's try to find a common point to everyone that was banned since October 16, so we can try to help the scene....

Let me say something: I've never been banned and hopefully I will never be, since I don't do anything against the EULA of Live!....  But, I live in Brazil and have a lot of friends that have modified XBOXes, and also play on live with modchip off and original games.

So far, what we have found:

- There are many people who were banned before, and is not banned now, even connecting after the B day (B, banning...).... They have just changed EEPROMs.

- There are some people who have played the FRENCH game, has the save of the game in the HD, and also, no problem.

- There are a lot of people with non original Hard Drives, also, no problems.

- There is a guy with a XBOX 1.0 who is not able to unban his console, he has tried 3 EEPROMs. So it is not v1.5 or v1.6 specific as some said.

I personally have a theory... Maybe, MS has the list of console Serial Numbers and the region of that S/N... If you get a PAL EEPROM and change it to NTSC, maybe, then MS knows that you have changed the region of the console and assumes that the hardware is modified (in fact, it is). Please, try not to post garbage like MS Sux, F*ck them, and so on.... Try to get straight to the facts, this means, if you are not able to unban your console:

- Your console version
- Were you banned before?
- Do you know if the EEPROM region was changed in your console?
- Any other info that you think is important.

Tks

kezzz

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 05:30:00 AM »

Ok good idea. I shall quote my post i just posted in one of the messy threads.

Ok I have a couple of suggestions:-

1) MS could be scanning your saved games. If "that leaked game" has a saved game file then that means that you've done a naughty and MS ban your EEPROM and possibly your HDD serial number.

2) People who have previously been banned and have retrieved a new EEPROM but kept the same HDD may be getting banned now because MS seems to be taking a harder stance on modded XBoxes since "that game leak" and they could be banning HDD.

3) Well we all know that quite a lot of people do dumb things so a fair few (i'm not saying everyone or the majority, just a few) of people are probably getting banned because they played with thier modchip on and are jumping on the curent bandwagon and claiming it's because they have had a HDD change or are using a certion dashboard.

I like to think it's a mixture of 1 and 2. I don't think i'll be logging onto live till the 11th just incase!

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 07:30:00 AM »

i apologize, but this is the same information, that spans over 5+ threads.

there will be no new information posted here im sure, and when someone figures this out.. they will make a thread, with precise information, not hit or miss reasons for the bannings.

maybe a poll, strategically devised... aww fuck... ill try to devise one.. at least then we can see numbers, and not misc. ramblings.

ok, so i wont devise one, im tired... but one containing some choices, such as...

1) banned for first time, no mod chip active while on live, no new eeprom yet.
2) banned since gotten a new eeprom (had eeprom longer than 3 weeks and it worked)
3) banned since gotten a new eeprom (had eeprom less than 3 weeks, worked until recently)
4) havent been banned yet, and play live frequently.
5)got banned, changed hard drive and eeprom, and managed to not get banned yet again

something along those lines maybe... oh well, im tired now.
-later

p.s. can we rule out any connection to xbc or kai?

This post has been edited by ILLusions0fGrander on Oct 21 2004, 02:31 PM

ja5983

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 07:57:00 AM »

ok, so, today i went on my 2nd xbox..a TSOP flash that has never been banned and has been returned 100% to stock...had a few problems getting on..and all of a sudden...BAM...banned...the HD was stock..the eeprom was original...the bios was original...

knodi

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 08:03:00 AM »

Xbox 1.0
Yes, I was banned before
No, the EEPROM region was never changed

This all started happed after I played the french leaked game. But after i got banned. I changed by EEPROM and didn't  play any game, but I still got banned again.

Now after the 4th bann in 3 days. I removed the mod chip and installed the stock harddrive (formated), and I have not been banned yet.

My friend play the french leaked game and hes not been banned. He was never banned before too. He has a xbox 1.4

This post has been edited by knodi on Oct 21 2004, 03:04 PM

kezzz

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 08:35:00 AM »

Ok well I reckon it's just banning of people that have previously been banned. I can't see any other coincidences jumping out at me so I beleive this this the answer!
All that need be done now is that if you've been banned before then try going back to the stock HDD.

Hinotori

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 08:43:00 AM »

QUOTE (kezzz @ Oct 21 2004, 03:35 PM)
Ok well I reckon it's just banning of people that have previously been banned. I can't see any other coincidences jumping out at me so I beleive this this the answer!
All that need be done now is that if you've been banned before then try going back to the stock HDD.

I know five guys who were previously banned in the past, NTSC XBOXes.

They have changed their EEPROM for other NTSC EEPROMs, and then, unbaned their consoles (before B day).

The Hard drive is the same as of when they were banned.

No modifications to the console, all parts the same, except for the EEPROM.

No one was banned.

So I think that it is not correct to assume that previously banned people are getting banned now.

On the other hand, it seems pretty reliable that now, if you are banned after B day, you can not unban your console just by switching EEPROMs, you have to switch HD as well... If you don't, you will be banned again and again and again.... Probably we will need new unban tutorials.  <_<

KaKoRoT

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2004, 09:00:00 AM »

I have been banned once, this was last year November (had my chip on accidently), I have a NTSC v1.0 Xbox Stock HDD, I replaced my eeprom with a PAL v1.0 possibly v1.1 (Got it off a mate who had two xboxes one modded one not.)

My xbox is now a PAL region changed to 4 from 1 being that it was originally a american NTSC bought xbox. I now use it in the UK, as a PAL xbox and I have not had any problems since. I play everyday and have been and I even play H2, of which the contents of H2 is still there saves and all and no problems.

Bare in mind I leave my C drive completely stock and load my modded dash as XBMC from the F drive. Most people being banned have been using Avalaunch.This could be a coincidence however.

GamezMan

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2004, 11:13:00 AM »

Hmm interesting

So we know for a fact its not the "leaked game" causing this, as iv been saying since day 1 as i got banned twice in a week an have never seen "the game".

It must be the new eeprom\same hdd causing all this..  (eeprom was same region)

ja5983, had this hdd ever been on live before ???

Between my box being back on live an 2nd ban, i did try out Avalaunch for the 1st time , messed with it a while updated stuff from net, then next day i was banned again, i dont know if ava has anything to do with this or just the new eeprom\same hdd or WHAT !

Hinotori "if you are banned after B day, you can not unban your console just by switching EEPROMs, you have to switch HD as well."   I think this is what happening, this sound the most logical reason so far.

A.Z.BEST

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2004, 11:25:00 AM »

QUOTE (Hinotori @ Oct 21 2004, 12:27 PM)
So far, what we have found:

- There are many people who were banned before, and is not banned now, even connecting after the B day (B, banning...).... They have just changed EEPROMs.

- There are some people who have played the FRENCH game, has the save of the game in the HD, and also, no problem.

- There are a lot of people with non original Hard Drives, also, no problems.

- There is a guy with a XBOX 1.0 who is not able to unban his console, he has tried 3 EEPROMs. So it is not v1.5 or v1.6 specific as some said.

I personally have a theory... Maybe, MS has the list of console Serial Numbers and the region of that S/N... If you get a PAL EEPROM and change it to NTSC, maybe, then MS knows that you have changed the region of the console and assumes that the hardware is modified (in fact, it is). Please, try not to post garbage like MS Sux, F*ck them, and so on.... Try to get straight to the facts, this means, if you are not able to unban your console:

One very nice guy has sent me some info on pm. Read a 'bite' of it.

According to your 'facts':

[Start Theroy]
When you connect to XBL it is transmitting all the info pertaining to your Xbox. I have noticed more packets in the initial connections than I noticed before and that is what leads me to that. XBL is taking that information into the database and keeping it stored and connected. [...]

It means that there was a time when MS was not checking few things- like hard drive serial number for example ;p. And if those guys got banned before their hdd #s were rememberd, they could unban and get back on XBL safely and they're there all the time as safe as the others who did not get banned yet. But those who got banned, when security changes were done, have problems now.

2. Agree

3. Agree

4. Go to #1.

About your theory: Nope, 2 of my friends have got original, PAL EEPROMs three times in a row (Europe) and they're still banned. Simply EEPROM flash and a try to get back on XBL. Succes only for one night.

5. My own: there are even people with all the apps on their C drive- like me. Evoxdash.xbe, avalaunch.xbe- everything what you might wish. No ban at all :)!

Hinotori

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2004, 12:52:00 PM »

Now I'm quite confused... There was one friend that told me: I was banned yesterday, used a PAL eeprom, changed it to NTSC, changed game region, flashed it on my XBOX, and I'm not banned anymore!

This means: he did not change the hard drive, at all! He said he played about 4 hours yesterday, after unbaning....

He told me he will try connecting again to Live in the evening (here we are one our ahead of New York time), and tell me if he was not really banned again.

If not, then all lead me to think that this is all a lot of misinformation, maybe a problem with avalaunch or even guys who had cleaned the HD and installed everything again, maybe the backup was done with auto login on in XBOX dashboard.... Or not.... I'm quite amazed, everything we try to figure out, soon enough we discover a recent case that tell us that this is not the case... What is going on????  :huh:

A.Z.BEST

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2004, 05:55:00 PM »

Maybe some of us are more lucky than others? Maybe he'll get banned soon? Dunno. I'm working to prove my theory right now. If it won't work I will get veeeeeeery confused :unsure: . And; AFAIK people who got banned at about the Banning Day (16.10.04), get banned every time they change their EEPROMs in less than 24hrs- not right on start.

JackRipper22

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2004, 03:10:00 AM »

QUOTE (Hinotori @ Oct 21 2004, 07:52 PM)
Now I'm quite confused... There was one friend that told me: I was banned yesterday, used a PAL eeprom, changed it to NTSC, changed game region, flashed it on my XBOX, and I'm not banned anymore!

This means: he did not change the hard drive, at all! He said he played about 4 hours yesterday, after unbaning....

He told me he will try connecting again to Live in the evening (here we are one our ahead of New York time), and tell me if he was not really banned again.

If not, then all lead me to think that this is all a lot of misinformation, maybe a problem with avalaunch or even guys who had cleaned the HD and installed everything again, maybe the backup was done with auto login on in XBOX dashboard.... Or not.... I'm quite amazed, everything we try to figure out, soon enough we discover a recent case that tell us that this is not the case... What is going on????  :huh:

Obviously there are so many variables invovled and this thread is trying to sort out the variables in a way we that would let us pinpoint what the best methods are...

Like A.Z.BEST® said ur friend might have been lucky so far.. that information is worth noted for the time being but if I am correct it doesnt rule out that :

Replacing the EEPROM and replacing the HD is required to keep the xbox unbanned (for now).

Has there been a case where ne1 was banned after the the ban date (reminds me of black sunday but in this case black saturday) when they use XBL with modchip off?

JR

Penfoldian

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2004, 04:58:00 AM »

A.Z.BEST® I totally agree with you, there must be (M$) taking notes now and storing that info in a database. therefore after my ban they have just logged my xbox as a virgin not knowing I was banned before. this is unfortunate for those who are being pissed on. the question remains however, if this is true how did all these people get banned before? stupiditty and was it this year? and the cause?
a hdd with a different eeprom?

NipsMG

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2004, 07:09:00 AM »

OK I understand there's a lot of confusion over what gets banned and what doesn't.  But I know that, especially when using an EvoX autoinstaller you're asked to make a backup of your original HD.  Many of you upgraded your Xboxes with a new HD, so I'm sure you've probably got your original lying around somewhere.   If you've got unofficial stuff on it you can restore it from your backups.  

Why not go out and get the Xtender mod? (Xtender)

Yeah it's $50, but it allows you to put up to 3 HD's in your XBOX.  My original Xbox HD is in there on switch one.  All I do is turn off my modchip, select hard drive 1, and I'm golden..  As far as MS is concerned, it's a retail xbox.  The hard drive has never been unlocked, still stock, totally untainted with anything that didn't get on there unless it was by using a legitimate game.

At least for me, I buy games I like.  I can't wait to play Halo2 on live, and I'm going to make damn sure that I don't get banned from live for tinkering w/ my xbox.  -- the $50 is worth it to me.

--NipsMG

This post has been edited by NipsMG on Oct 22 2004, 02:11 PM