xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Should I Update My Modded X360?  (Read 150 times)

Apollo213

• Archived User
Should I Update My Modded X360?
« on: August 03, 2013, 01:04:00 PM »

Hi All,

I know this question is asked a million times, and I've done a ton of reading and research but honestly my head is swimming right now and I can't get a clear understanding of what to do.

I just bought a modded xbox360 from someone I don't know so I have no idea how it was modded though I suspect it was a drive flashing.

I've checked and my dashboard level is 2.0.12625.0 so it plays a lot of games well but there are some new ones that it won't, in particular Minecraft is the big one I want to play.  When I put the DVD in it says I must apply an update in order to play.  I've said No so far.

From what I've read, the next dash update after the one I have does a drive reflash.  I know from reading and seeing pics that I have the Hitachi drive.  I can't tell for sure if my drive will be affected or not.

So the main question I want to know is, with my Hitachi drive and the fact that I'm on 2.0.12625.0, is it safe to apply the update needed for Minecraft, or heck, even the latest update from Xbox Live? (it seems I'm not banned and it prompted me to update).

A common answer I've seen to this type of question is "yes but you must first flash your original firmware back", then I have a follow-up question to that.  Since I have no previous history with this Xbox, I don't have the keys for the drive if I in fact needed them.  With the Hitachi, can I simply use JF to flash the OFW, then apply a new dashboard update, then again use JF to flash a new version of the CFW?  If so what version do I need?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this and help me out!