xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Back Again Got Myself A Slim And Question  (Read 199 times)

pepito01226

• Archived User
Back Again Got Myself A Slim And Question
« on: April 10, 2013, 02:33:00 PM »

So yes I have returned once again. Been else where working and doing different mods of sorts and electronic repair and work around.

I was finally able to get some financial break as well as personal time off and away from work.

I went ahead and got myself a xbox 360 slim for relatively cheap. Around $180 used at gamestop online which will arrive tomorrow 4/11/2013.

Since I have been way out of the xbox seen in so long I am stepping back in and noticing a lot has changed and remained the same.

What has remained is the classic FW hack and what has changed is new hardware.

I wonder now that I do have some financial cap will it be worth the buy going for xkey and RGN or do some classy FW hack on the optical drive and use up the remaining small stack of DL i have stored up.

Also Since I got myself the small 4Gb size Slim. What has changed in the HDD swap? Is there more comparable size beyond the classic 120? Is there also a way to unlock HDD of vast that isn't microsoft recommended?

I of course will be searching around for any information but since I am on time off for a week I would like anyone help if any.

My next time off I will of course be case modding the slim. Nothing says "Mine" Like a complete personalized device.

Well I looked up the xk3y (xkey) on their official site and watched a couple how to DIY video on installing the xkey. The product is expensive but I can see why it would be after all it is a overwrite on Flashing the optical drive. Which In either case you will still need to flash with jungleflash to dump the file.

As for HDD swap.... Hmmm I have some old original xbox 360 HDD off the old fats I used to own. From what few site's say I will be able to "swap" with the 4Gb drive size Since I might not really need them for any reason other then backup I might as well get the xkey.

This post has been edited by pepito01226: Apr 10 2013, 10:24 PM

BlaCkAdDa

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 06:42:00 PM »

Others more in the know can clarify but here's your options as I see it

Forget the flashing the drive

Xkey if you want to play isos off a usb hard drive and that's it, but you can still go on live

RGH if you want to run custom dash etc etc, you can then install a 2.5" hdd of any capacity in the xbox (recommend buying a casing if you can so its not loose) run software off of that, install all your original games to that etc etc.

I have heard with some slims you need to RGH just to do the xkey because you cant get some info out without it.

wilgo45

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 11:40:00 AM »

QUOTE(BlaCkAdDa @ Apr 11 2013, 07:42 PM) View Post

I have heard with some slims you need to RGH just to do the xkey because you cant get some info out without it.

It depends on how new the Slim is.

He's getting his from Game Stop.  Probably used.  That will give him some latitude potentially.

Wasabi is very similar to xkey.  You might want look into that.

If you are doing your own work, I say Flash the DVD drive and install RGH.  Unless you are wanting Live time.
Then you'll have to go with xkey or a Dual Nand glitch hack

pepito01226

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 04:09:00 PM »

Others more in the know can clarify but here's your options as I see it

Forget the flashing the drive

Xkey if you want to play isos off a usb hard drive and that's it, but you can still go on live

RGH if you want to run custom dash etc etc, you can then install a 2.5" hdd of any capacity in the xbox (recommend buying a casing if you can so its not loose) run software off of that, install all your original games to that etc etc.

Okie, yes I was looking at the xkey on youtube how to install on slim and how to run. I will need to in either case run jungleflash to extract the key.

I believe the RGH with Xkey is only recommended with liteon drive.

It depends on how new the Slim is.

He's getting his from Game Stop. Probably used. That will give him some latitude potentially.

Wasabi is very similar to xkey. You might want look into that.

If you are doing your own work, I say Flash the DVD drive and install RGH. Unless you are wanting Live time.
Then you'll have to go with xkey or a Dual Nand glitch hack

Well They did give me a totally new used model. I thought Wasabi was comparable to the 360 fat. Unless they made something for the slim?

In either case I had to do  tail chase with gamestop over the xbox I received. A common and I don't seem to find a repairable situation developed or I should say came with the system. As I started it out and was going to run wireless (My router is across the house I drop some $$ to get a dual and extended range router for wireless) And the console kept telling me to "disconnect ethernet" to run wireless.. Funny thing is it didn't come with ethernet cable and there was no cable other than HDMI out connected to the system. I did some quick research on how to fix the issue, used the classic pin short trick, carefully pulled pin 1 and 2 out and then the rest and it did not fix the issue. Doing even more research issue with the latest slim (the latest slim has matte finish and does not have chrome bezel on the either end) they all have the near same issue with surge through the ethernet. Once it surges it fry and leaves from unknown reason the board to think there is always a ethernet cable connected to it. To do a by pass and buy the wireless attachment used for the fat 360 will result in the same issue either way it will not function without the "ethernet" cable disengage.

Needless to say they told me to take it to a local gamestop to do a swap, did so had to wait till they finished getting off the phone with gamestop franchise to tell me they can not I would have to "remail" it back to them to do that.. Reason being " they do not keep serial information about there console" so they can not just let me swap it. Had to call there headquarter or warehouse they were nice enough to send me by email a free print out of a paid package and had to reship it to them to get an exchange. :/ Now again I must do the waiting game.

pepito01226

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 10:46:00 AM »

So I finally got my new Xbox in the mail last night. I was worried I would get another one with network issue So starting it up first thing I check was network. To my surprise no check mark on the ethernet cable icon  beerchug.gif

So now come's the question What hack should I install.

I went and talked to other xbox hacker on another forum and they told me to go ahead avoid running xkey and dual NAND RGH.

Not sure if I want to do that but the benefit are the same with the xkey (running game via HDD) and alittle more (dual boot and running game on optical drive on live with out being ban)

Okie not sure if anyone was ever ban with xkey or RGH

But how likely are you to be ban with either??

pepito01226

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 11:56:00 AM »

So I got some help online figuring out what board I have for the xbox slim

Since I have not open the shell up to look at the board spec I did how ever figured out the board type by looking at the ampere on the outside

9.6amp is corona, 10.8 is trinity

I have a 4gb corona from the looks not sure what version

But from what I can tell I have to RGH to get the board key and optical drive key before I can use xkey.

I won't be able to dual NAND since demon does not funtion on a 4gb slim

Since I have hardly any help on any other site I wonder if anyone has worked on a 4gb slim with xkey??

pepito01226

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 11:56:00 AM »

Since I have not open the shell up to look at the board spec I did how ever figured out the board type by looking at the ampere on the outside

But from what I can tell I have to RGH to get the board key and optical drive key before I can use xkey.

Since I have hardly any help on any other site I wonder if anyone has worked on a 4gb slim with xkey??

vb_encryption_vb

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 12:24:00 PM »

QUOTE(pepito01226 @ Apr 20 2013, 01:56 PM) View Post

I could have sworn they just came out with a conversion kit for Corona, I could be wrong though. You will have to take apart the box to figure out which Corona board you have though.  Basically you need to know if you have a full post out or not. Also if you will need a SD reader to dump the nand.

pepito01226

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 11:14:00 AM »

Well I looked inside my xbox and saw what kind of optical drive I have

Lite-on DG-16D5S drive manufactured September 2012. Firmware : 1532

Not sure what it all means but I think I need to RGH. might need the corona 4gb flash