xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: How To Run Xbox 360 Without Ics Chip?  (Read 502 times)

MadMaxGR

• Archived User
How To Run Xbox 360 Without Ics Chip?
« on: October 16, 2013, 02:29:00 AM »

Unfortunately for you, the XBOX check everything during boot sequence and you can't disable any step of that sequence. Therefore your only choice is to find an Ethernet ICS chip and solder it in place on your mainboard.

RDC

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 04:57:00 AM »

Your best option is to install a new one. It's a $3 or so part, so it'll cost less than $10 after shipping to get one. It's an ICS1893BFLF. Just make sure you get the BF version and not the AF version, they are not pin for pin compatible.

Also, it's worth checking to make sure it had an ICS installed originally or if it had the BCM chip, unless you're the one that removed the ICS chip. They are not interchangeable without swapping a mess of other support components around also, which is more work than just getting a BCM chip from some other dead board and swapping it over.

If no Ethernet chip is installed, you need to look at the support components around it to tell what was originally in there. These components are right next to the Ethernet chip.

If R1B5 and R1B11 are installed, then R1B12 and R1B3 are NOT installed, it had an ICS chip.

If R1B5 and R1B11 are NOT installed, then R1B12 and R1B3 are installed, it had a BCM chip.

There are far more support components than those that make up the differences between using an ICS in place of a BCM and vice-versa, but that will tell you exactly which one was installed in it so you can replace it with the correct Ethernet IC. If the Resistors installed are in some other layout than that, then you have a board that has already been screwed with and it's a 50/50 shot at best if it will work again even if it's straightened out.

MadMaxGR

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 11:20:00 PM »

RDC told you in details what's your solution... Nobody else could be more specific. And NO, RGH will not resolve your problem. Even if it could, I don't get it... the ICS chip is much cheaper solution than RGH, and on top of that easier to install than RGH. Why do you insist for other solutions anyway? I believe this topic is closed.

wilgo45

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 04:26:00 PM »

QUOTE(ddxcb @ Oct 21 2013, 12:31 PM) View Post

Why does this sound like a xenon dev china kit?

Why you do say that?  - about the dev kit

I've seen Xenon's with either ICS or BCM controller.

I've done several repair jobs for clearing an E76.  Those had an ICS  ... and I swapped the chip out.  Code cleared.

One job - had the BCM chip.  I tried to convert the the board over to ICS.  I wasn't successful.  Might have missed a resistor install to be totally correct.

But I did clear the system of the E76.  The BCM was removed and about 4 smd resistors in the area.  System would boot and run.

bubble_gum

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 06:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(wilgo45 @ Oct 22 2013, 12:26 AM) View Post

But I did clear the system of the E76.  The BCM was removed and about 4 smd resistors in the area.  System would boot and run.

Is there a method to do the same thing with motherboard with ICS?

wilgo45

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 02:15:00 AM »

QUOTE(bubble_gum @ Oct 21 2013, 07:21 PM) View Post

Is there a method to do the same thing with motherboard with ICS?

I would think it could work with the ICS style too.  By that - I mean removing key resistors.  I didn't document my results with the bcm one.

But I think I had 2 resistors removed between the ICS and the ethernet port.  And two others between the ICS and the Southbridge.

In my opinion - it's easier to replace the ICS controller.

Back to the resistors  .... seems like there was a variety of values in the area that repeated.  Like 1.5 K ohm and 10 K ohm.

I'll have to review a phat motherboard.  See what comes back to me for exact details.

And - I could replace the ICS for you.  I have junk boards available with spare parts.

bubble_gum

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 09:03:00 AM »

Many thaks, but i live in poland so it can be difficult ;D. I preffer some tips to do that;]

wilgo45

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 04:14:00 PM »

QUOTE(bubble_gum @ Oct 23 2013, 10:03 AM) View Post

Many thaks, but i live in poland so it can be difficult ;D. I preffer some tips to do that;]

OK

I will try to pass along that resistor information in the near future.  I was doing some board comparisons the other day.

There are 2 resistors near the Southbridge - if removed might disable the ethernet controller chip.

Also been wondering about other ways to disable the ICS chip.  Maybe if a particular leg or two are cut.  Like the connections to Ground or to Vcc.  I don't have a solid advice in that column yet.

RDC might have a good lead about cutting a leg connection.

RDC

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 06:59:00 PM »

Nope, I'd have replaced the ICS chip already and been done with it. Using the Ethernet or not, it's far more efficient than mucking around with removing other parts trying to work around it not being in there.

bubble_gum

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 03:54:00 PM »

I have one more idea. Becaouse i have another free ICS chip but it has torn off leg of this chip. Is there a posibbility to connect a few of it with motherboard (not all). Caouse i need to play at this console, no need to connect to internet.

bubble_gum

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 04:05:00 PM »

I found that, on page nr 90 is diagram of this chip. Anyone can tell me which legs should i connect to run only xbox 360, not to use internec connection. http://www.jameco.co...dDS/1594349.pdf

bubble_gum

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 09:47:00 PM »

Thank i will check this and reply here the result. I have new question. I another conole without ics chip. I solder a new one and xbox is running but when i get to wired connection there is a info that the lan cable don't plug in. Is there a possibility of that becouse i have broken traces shown at picture above? Or this traces are no need to be connect?
IPB Image

xiaonvren

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 04:45:00 AM »

It is xenon and there was a ics chip for sure.