xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Cpu And Gpu Temperature Monitoring  (Read 280 times)

TimelessNL

• Archived User
Cpu And Gpu Temperature Monitoring
« on: September 25, 2013, 03:48:00 AM »

Hello People from Xbox-Scene,

I've got an small question about the CPU and GPU temperature control on a Xenon motherboard.
My current project is to build a Xbox360 in a PC case.

To optimize cooling for both CPU and GPU I've made some changes to 2x AM2+ socket fans.
But there is one problem. Does the Fans which are normally at the back of the Xbox react on the Temperature of the GPU? since when I unscrew the CPU heatsink just a tiny bit(like 0,5mm) the fans at the back are going from 30%load to hurricane mode(100%) and short after that the Xbox tuns itself off with 2red lights indicating that it got overheated rapidly(temperature rises to fast in a period of time I guess).

But when I do the same procedure to the GPU nothing really interesting happens? I can't monitor the Temperature since this Xbox hasn't been glitched (or maybe never will - Xenon).

Is there a potability that because I let my Xbox idle at the dashboard(NXE) the GPU has nothing to do and stays cool? I haven't tried a game yet because I first need to make some longer power cables to the drive itself.

I need to know these things because otherwise I can't confirm if my Custom heatsink are properly in contact with the GPU-die. (CPU is good since the fans are almost idle)

So the question is:
Why does the fans on the back react to the CPU temperature rise but not to the GPU? Since I've read somewhere that the Xbox does not monitor the GPU Temp?

Regards,
Timeless

[Edit]

It seems that error code 0012 is related to GPU overheating? so that means that there is some sort of overheat protection on the GPU I guess? But another thing, when does this kick in? after a repid temperature change or just over time? Since a all bad known GPU-fix by letting the GPU overheat while the CPU is cooled by the fans, the Fan speed does not increase at all. So thats where my toughs kicks in, There is an 0012 error(overheating GPU) but the fans are not changing while the GPU is overheated. Where is the logic?

TimelessNL

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 09:45:00 AM »

I just launched a game and slightly loosen the GPU heatsink, and the Xbox immediately shut down with error code 0012(GPU error vs 0011 CPU). So I guess my heatsink is a little to overpowered for the GPU since my first try wasn't enough to remove contact with the GPU-die.

Aldanga

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 11:33:00 AM »

There are a few thresholds within the system connected with fan power percentages and system shutoff. Once the GPU and/or CPU hit those temps, fans will spin faster or, at the highest value, the system will shut off.

I do not know why your system does not seem to be reacting to GPU temps, but 360s do spin up and down the fans depending on both CPU and GPU temps.

TimelessNL

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 11:41:00 AM »

sorry, it seems that I was not clear enough.

The error 0012 resulted with also the fans spinning at maximum power. So my first try to get some reaction from the GPU was just not loosened enough. Maybe my heatsink is just to overpowerd for the GPU. Because I can run the GPU cooling passive for 15 minutes and getting the heatsink slightly warm and fan spinning at lowest setting, thats why I doubted if the heatsink is making good contact with the GPU.

Aldanga

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 12:49:00 PM »

You've stated several questions which come together haphazardly, so I'm finding it difficult to get to your final goal. Can you restate exactly what you're trying to do/need to find out? If you can do that, it'll be much easier to give you some assistance.

TimelessNL

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 03:15:00 PM »

My goal was to find out if the Xbox monitors both the GPU and CPU. And gives me any visual or hearable feedback. So I could verify that the heatsinks are good installed.

Today I tried to loosen the GPU screws allot so the GPU heatsink was just laying on top without applying pressure. At that moment the FANS went from wisper to hurricane mode and the Xbox shuts down with 0012.

So my conclusion is like you said, it indeed does monitor the GPU and not only the CPU. so when I tightened my bolts again the fans went back to normal next restart of the console. So now I know my custom made heatsinks I installed are making good contact with the GPU and CPU.

This is what I made:
IPB Image