xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Dvd-tray Doesn't Open, Can I Fix That Myself?  (Read 153 times)

ad20

• Archived User
Dvd-tray Doesn't Open, Can I Fix That Myself?
« on: February 18, 2010, 07:52:00 PM »

A friend of mine aquired a 360 for a few bucks. The problem is, the tray doesn't open. Otherwise the console is working fine, boots regularly, runs properly.

I'm not familiar with 360's since I just own an XBOX1 myself, helped a buddy out cleaning the laser of his xbox1 once.

Is this tray-problem wider known? As a layman can I fix this on my own? I have no experience in soldering, so I can't do much more than disassemble it and take a look. Anything in particular I should pay attention for?

ste030

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 07:58:00 PM »

sounds like you have a samsung drive which needs the elastic band replacing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

http://cgi.ebay.com/XBOX-360-Toshiba-Samsu...=item2eaaa93889

easy to fit just take apart the drive and you will see where you need to replace the band

ad20

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 02:42:00 AM »

Would any general rubber band work?

1hotjob

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 07:30:00 AM »

Would any general rubber band work?

No. It needs to be the same size.

If you open the tray and look just inside the drive you can see the belt. You can carefully get the belt off the drive and clean it. Dry it thoroughly and put it back on. That should help until you get a new belt.

WorldFormula

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 01:19:00 PM »

If you go to your local orthodontist, you can get brace rubber bands from them that work perfectly. I can't remember the size at the moment, but you could just take along the old one.

relaxxx

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 05:39:00 AM »

I recently discovered I can fix slipping belts by coating them with contact cement and letting them dry overnight. I also put a thin coat of crazy glue on the motor pulley. When everything dried, reassembled and worked like a charm. I have done this on 2 drives so far.

This post has been edited by relaxxx: Feb 22 2010, 01:40 PM