xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox 360 Blackhawk Liquid Cooled By Thunderhawk  (Read 504 times)

thunderhawk09

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Blackhawk Liquid Cooled By Thunderhawk
« on: July 23, 2013, 10:35:00 AM »

Upon Many months of thinking of doing a liquid cooled 360 and not yet ready to follow through with the project I was playing one night and went over to change games And For Some Reason I Desided To Pick Up The Front Of My 360 And Feal Of Bottom of Console Under GPU And CPU The Was Only Running At Mid Level And The Case Was I Wopping 133 F According to the indoor outdoor Themometer I Tested Temp With Ok THat Did It I First Done  Another Test By Cutting Side Of Case And Adding A Second 360 Fan On 12V Well That Done Pretty Good For CPU Side But Resticted GPU Cause Of The DVD Drive The Bottom Of Case Under THe GPU was still 108 Plus The Noise Of THe Fan Drives Me Nuts I figured Ok Enough Is Enough Time To Liquid Cool The 360
So I Began Researching LQ Parts And Found That Most Kits Would Not Work On The 360 Or Was Too High And The Ones That Would Work Ussually Required A Resavoir So I Desided If I Was Going To External Mount Some Of The Parts Why Use A Resavoir When I Could Just Use A Bigger Radiator And Another Fan And Get More Coolant Cap And Cooling Ability All In One Unit So I Came Up With A 240mm x 120mm Radiator And 2-120mm Cooler Master Blue Led Fans A 240 Lh Water Pump Pumping Through two 41mm x 41mm x 12mm water blocks And 5/16in Hose I Bench Tested Set Up With Two Propane Torchs Set At 160 degrees F On Water Blocks And Run Setup For 1 Hour At My Room Temp Of 76 F I Wanted To Have Target Of No More Than 12  Degrees Operating temp above room temp and this is what I come up with After A Hour Run Time GPU Temp was 87.8 F And cpu was 89.3 Because CPU was the second block the water passed through A higher Temp Is To exspected On The CPU My 360 Picture are of the process as the build happens No Internal Pics Are Being Shown At This Time Due To  its Not Finished Yet upon A Second Test Of The Sytem I Had A Small Problem The Positive Wire Came Loose On The Pump And The Torch Burned A Hole Through one Of My Water blocks So It Will Be A Few Weeks Before The Install Process Will Proceed Keep Check For More Pics And Info As My Build Comes To Close The Passing Oh And The Wiring Harness Shown In Pics Is Where A Dual Gauge Pod Will Be Mount To mount My Gauges To Monitor The temps Pod Has Not Came In Yet Thanks For Looking

This post has been edited by thunderhawk09: Jul 23 2013, 05:53 PM

thunderhawk09

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 10:55:00 AM »

Ok Dumb Question How The Heck Do You Add Pics On This Damg forum I Cant Get The Pics Added

thunderhawk09

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 11:59:00 AM »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/99290536@N05/...in/photostream/
I Cant Figure out how to post dang pics so heres a link to them

This post has been edited by thunderhawk09: Jul 23 2013, 07:11 PM

pepito01226

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 07:42:00 PM »

Very awesome job there Thunderhawk I have been thinking about doing water cooling on my slim. I have bought a Corsair H100 water cooled system, used it on my gamer PC but wasn't good enough to handle an 8 core AMD system oc to 4.5Ghz ran 120 celsius all the time under standard 200 under heavy gaming with quad fans in the push pull direction. Went back to fan cool with better improvement to my PC now I have the water cool assembly with nothing to use it on smile.gif till now.

Btw you could have loaded your photo using imageshack. just code the image ["img"] ["/img"] individually (minus ")

thunderhawk09

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 09:47:00 AM »

Thanks Pepito More Pics To Come As THe Project Progresses Yeah I think The Slim Maybe Easier To Do With GPU CPU In And Under One Heatsink I Searched Awhile trying To Find A Waterblock To Fit Under Dvd Drive And The Cool Thing The Waterblocks Only 5 Bucks For Two Aluminuim Blocks And For The Poeple Thats going To Bring Up Galvanic Corosion Please Dont Cause THats Why im Using auto Antifreeze The Ethlene Glycol Prevents The Galvanic Reaction Between Aluminuim And Copper
 (IMG:http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/607/k6l5.jpg)" class="bbc_email">(IMG:http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/607/k6l5.jpg)

thunderhawk09

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 10:24:00 AM »

Dual Gauge Pod Installed I Have The Gauges But The Description Of Gauges Said The Read 0-250F Water temp As It Turned Out They Dont There min read is 104 F Which Is Way Above The operating temp of the new system So Iv Had To Find Another gauge Im Not Monitoring Gpu And Cpu Temps Im Going To Be Monitoring The Incoming Water Temp & Outgoing Temps I Can Tell The Temp Of Both By The Outgoing Temp My Intension Is to Monitor How Well The Coolant System is cooling the Coolant temp before its recurulated back through waterblocks

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

thunderhawk09

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 02:33:00 PM »

The Look Of Being Finished Gauges In Pic Is Not The Gauges Being used the Low Temp Read Is To High Item Was Not As Described the Gauges That will be used looks like these but with a 50 Degree F Low Reading Well Below Room Temp As I Needed these are showing there min temp of 104 This was Done Only For A External Visual Look Of Finished Setup more pics to come

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

greenmodder

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 09:19:00 AM »

Nice project! What kind of waterblocks did you use? Link? I have a pair of Koolance that are very similar...

thunderhawk09

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 01:39:00 PM »

The Xbox 360 Blackhawk Project is done except the gauges replaced with te one ones that read down to 50 F Run It For 13hrs Yesterday the water temp Barely Got Above Room Temp All Day its cooling great but wont know the temps till gauges get put in in a week or so

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

morinzo

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 11:51:00 AM »

nice project, i'd like to see a parts list with part numbers for what all you used..

thunderhawk09

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 03:36:00 PM »

Part used as follows
Water blocks:2 of SZZY Aluminum water cooling blocks for cpu Heatsink Cooler plater 41x 41 x 12mm 9.51

Fans: 2 of Cooler Master SickleFlow 120mm Blue LED Computer Case Fan (R4-L2R-20AC-GP) 26.47 for both fans and hose

Water Pump:  HOSSENĀ® DC30A-1230 12V DC 2 Phase CPU Cooling  Brushless Water Pump Waterproof 14.00

Radiator: 240mm Water Evaporator Cooler for spindle CO2 Laser Cooling 40.99

2 of 120mm Wire Fan Guard 8.98

Hose 5/16in Vinyl Tubing - 10 feet 5/16 ID - 7/16 OD (see fans)
Total Above 99.95

Radiator Bracket Was Out Of Stock at Time of order so found it on ebay by seller Koolertek its a XSPC for the 120 mm radiator  

All above items to my surprize was found on Amazon.com

Gauges 2-1/16" Blue LED Digital Water Temperature Gauge, With Black Bezel JCW-ITXM9113B At Jcwhiney.com

Gauge pod found on ebay

Blue led Ring of lights RF board on ebay 10.49

NOTE Prices Are subject to change due to Amazon dealing with outside vendors so dont hold me to that price depending on seller that has part at time of your order

pepito01226

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 08:52:00 PM »

this project is going very well, I see your using the xclamp to hold down the water cool block. Not sure that will help much since they are weak cheap metal. I think you might benefit more if you look for hybrid extreme uniclamp plate. Then run look for long machine screw nylon bushing and nuts then you can even out the proper pressure for the block.

One main downfall of water cooling is having the proper pressure to hold the block on right. Not to tight not to lose it can be a headache but if on right you will never have to take it off again.

You might need two plate one for the bottom to equal out pressure and keep the thin board for flexing in the other direction.

thunderhawk09

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 09:20:00 AM »

Oh The Motherboard isnt going any where the studs I custom made to mount The X clamps are threaded and 8 Xclamp Mods screws are holding MB Down by threading studs on And First Tighting Down The MB Then I Also Have Two Xclamps On Botton of MB Mounted between MB And the steel case then the Xclamps holding waterblocks  are Screwed into the studs to then hold down the waterblocks so MB is Supported Form Both Sides The Xclanps Wound Up Coming In Handy For Something and after 40hrs run time on the blackhawk its doing great

thunderhawk09

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 01:35:00 PM »

Now Starting the fourth month With Blackhawk LC and its doing A Wonderful Job

pepito01226

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 10:47:00 AM »

QUOTE(thunderhawk09 @ Nov 1 2013, 02:35 PM) View Post

Now Starting the fourth month With Blackhawk LC and its doing A Wonderful Job

Glad to hear, what's the temperature right now during gaming then during stall?