xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Operation: Umbrella 360 (w.i.p.)  (Read 157 times)

Shalashaska

• Archived User
Operation: Umbrella 360 (w.i.p.)
« on: March 15, 2013, 10:53:00 AM »

Started this one a few weeks ago. A friend of mine had a RROD Resident Evil 5 limited edition console, which was perfect since it was already red.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Got it to start shaping up and used bondo to fill in the logo and some other imperfections.

IPB Image

Originally, I had planned on using colored plexiglass, but it turned out to be too thick and not transmitting light like I had hoped.....on to Plan B.

IPB Image

Here I got the plexi cut and sized to fit.

IPB Image

The good folks over at 3M sent me a few sample sheets of their 3630 Scotchcal Translucent Vinyl (Red-33 & White-20). Plan B was starting to look promising!

IPB Image
IPB Image

Vinyl is sized, cut and ready for application to plexi.

IPB Image
IPB Image

First, I decided to try a gloss black paint pen since I didn't have much covering to do....bad mistake. The texture was horrible and you could still see the bondo. Better yet, the paint pen bled underneath the painters tape causing a mess. So much for cutting corners.  sleep.gif
IPB Image
IPB Image

Plan C. After lots of rubbing alcohol and some sanding, I managed to get it back in shape. This time I used Krylon Fusion and the results were sweet.
IPB Image
IPB Image

I ordered a sticker to go with the logo:

IPB Image
IPB Image

Now on to the hdd: I drilled a 1-3/4" hole and filled the rest in with bondo.

IPB Image
IPB Image

After lots of sanding (and a little spot putty) I laid down a few coats of the black Krylon Fusion:

IPB Image

I then tapped into the 5v from the hdd plug to wire in some led's.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

I actually decided to go back and add a few more led's to get even lighting all around the logo. Also, took the plexi back out to clean up around the seem. (will post more pics when it is complete).

IPB Image

Wired up an led strand for the case logo.

IPB Image

I still have a few more kinks to work out, but it seems to be coming along pretty well. I rewired the led strand to better space them out and still have to add a few to the hdd. Also ordered a sticker to go on the hdd shell next to it's logo. Should have some final pics up soon. Hope you all like it and feedback/ideas is always welcome, thanks for looking.

modman420

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 12:43:00 PM »

thats hot great job

DragonSlayer1987

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 04:06:00 PM »

This looks really cool but I am not a fan of the sticker. Any way to have the image on sticker just painted on case instead? I think it would look better if the image under the logo matched the paint color.

Either way I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Shalashaska

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 04:22:00 PM »

QUOTE(DragonSlayer1987 @ Mar 18 2013, 06:06 PM) View Post

This looks really cool but I am not a fan of the sticker. Any way to have the image on sticker just painted on case instead? I think it would look better if the image under the logo matched the paint color.

Either way I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

I'm not a fan of stickers either. I don't know anyone locally that could have painted/airbrushed it for me. Just finding that sticker (in that size) was a challenge. It had to be special ordered. I wish now that I had at least cut the lettering out of the sticker instead  of using the whole thing, it would have looked nicer. As for the translucent vinyl, that is something that is even harder to get and the colors do not come in a huge variety  sad.gif The logo will be illuminated when the console is powered on anyway. I'm a huge Resident Evil fan.....just wish Capcom would make a good game now.  dry.gif  

Thanks for the feedback guys, always appreciated!

tryintomod

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 02:18:00 PM »

Very good work. I love the logo on the side of the case. How many hours do you think you have into the logo? Just curious really.

Shalashaska

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 03:22:00 PM »

I would say around 8 to 10 hours (give or take). Getting all the spindles the right shape/size was probably the most time consuming. Couldn't really use a Dremel on the fine work, so I done it all by hand with sandpaper and a small file. I am currently finishing up the hdd. I didn't like the way it turned out, so I decided to redo it all. Waiting on paint dry times right now.  rolleyes.gif

AwesomeNurd

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 03:04:00 PM »

Really nice mod!!