xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: How To Install A Regular Pwm Connector To 360 Slim?  (Read 159 times)

J.O.A.

• Archived User
How To Install A Regular Pwm Connector To 360 Slim?
« on: March 09, 2013, 01:57:00 PM »

Never mind. Got it done by myself.

whitey86

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 03:12:00 PM »

you got pics of your install? looks a nice sleek fan

jery911

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 11:18:00 PM »

QUOTE(J.O.A. @ Mar 9 2013, 12:57 PM) View Post

Never mind. Got it done by myself.

yes, do you have any pics?

J.O.A.

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 07:24:00 AM »

I'll try to get some pics with my crappy phone camera, sometime this week, maybe. I just did a really ugly solder job on the bottom side of the mobo and have the wires come to the top side where I have the actual fan connectted. For now I decided to stick with the Gentle Typhoon, because the Noctua is only 14mm thick and as such it started going at probably full speed after only a few minutes of playing. I think I'll order another one and have them both on top of each other, connected with a Y-splitter, which comes with the fan.

I would like to have a PWM fan in there, as it would set up the speed automatically and therefore I wouldn't have to worry about overheats during the summer, like I do now with the Gentle typhoon set up with a fan speed controller.

Another Noctua fan I was considering was this

IPB Image

http://www.noctua.at...t...ng=en&set=1

This one is a 25mm thickness, but from the looks of it, I think it wouldn't be as good for a heatsink, since the blades are further apart.
If anybody has good experience with these kinds of fans, do tell which you'd think is better.

J.O.A.

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 08:04:00 PM »

OK, here come the really bad quality photos.

Here is the install on the bottom of mobo

IPB Image

And if you'd want to install from the top side, the slits for the fans male connectors would be facing the frontside of the console.

IPB Image

Had to make the wires come from the side, as the mobo wouldn't fit properly if they came from the console's beckside

IPB Image

And here's how I've got the fan set up. That's the fan controller on the top left where the wireless net thingy normally is. I'm still using the Gentle Typhoon untill I'll get another of those slim Noctua fans. There's also a rubber vibration reducing pad under the fan.

IPB Image

The way I got the fan installed, is with two screws. One is on the bottom left and is connected to the heatsink. The other one is screwed to the harddrive bay. I had to cut off a little bit of plastic from this part.

IPB Image
Gotta use a thicker screw here. I used one of those that often come with a fan
IPB Image

And here's what it looks like with the console assembled.

IPB Image

I guess I'll be back to this thread once I get that second slim noctua and test them both assembled on top of eachother and with pwm controll.
Another idea I have, is to cut off some of the metal casing from the right side to make room for a 120mm fan. Might try that during the summertime.
I'll be checking this out if you guys have any questions about the install.