xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Installing Temperature Gauges  (Read 144 times)

Gazc0igne

• Archived User
Installing Temperature Gauges
« on: March 06, 2013, 04:40:00 AM »

theres tons of small lcd temperature gauges about on ebay etc

the probes would be best placed on the GPU and CPU heatsinks close to the chips

only thing to look for is the supply voltage as the 360 mobo doesnt have 12V AFAIK youd need a 5V one.

Gazc0igne

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 12:44:00 PM »

take the heatsinks off lol!! what you afraid of?

best place would be directly on the chip but putting it into the heatsinks close to the centre should be close enough

Grim187

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 05:22:00 AM »

QUOTE(Gazc0igne @ Mar 6 2013, 04:40 AM) View Post

only thing to look for is the supply voltage as the 360 mobo doesnt have 12V AFAIK youd need a 5V one.

its actually 5v that is hard to find a source for on the mobo...well at least one that's switched.

im assuming this console is for xbox live?
really the best sensor your going to find is in the dye, which you can access thru i2c on the phat boards (not sure about slim) so really you should just need a small cpld or pic, a bit of knowledge of codeing, lcd and driver.

but if you dont know how to code and dont want to learn just for this project you can pickup a cheap fan controller on ebay...like this one: http://www.ebay.com/...5919#vi-content
which is the one i used on glow in the dark: http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=611313

anywhere on the heatsinks is good, towards the center is better but you should go for the best thermal contact, expect it to be low by about 8-10C compared to the dye.

putting it under the heatsink is going to be a big hassle and if you get it too close to the dye then you are likely to crush the sensor (which i found out while testing deathbox: link in sig to wip).

good luck.

tryintomod

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 02:22:00 PM »

I had put one in an original Xbox way back in the day. It was a little bit of work to get the display to fit in the console and for it to look like it was suppose to be there. It was nice having it, but more of a "cool" factor than anything. I always got comments on it asking what it was because it stands out.

I would say, not necessary, but definitely spruces things up. You can pull 12v off the bottom of the MOBO safely for the fan controller.

LastNurd

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 06:44:00 PM »

There are no gauges working on 12V??