xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [tutorial] How To Flash A Drive Using Your Laptop  (Read 211 times)

darkingthereturn

• Archived User
[tutorial] How To Flash A Drive Using Your Laptop
« on: January 02, 2010, 07:16:00 PM »

Hi!!! I've made a tutorial posted on another forum and i would like to share my experience with you...bye! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
(this) ...sorry for my english but i'm italian!). I've posted another thread here where i ask you if it's possible (click)...well, i've done it!  

by darkingthereturn » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:10 pm
Hi, I would like to explain you how i did managed to flash my liteon using Acer Aspire 5935g laptop with ICH9M Chipset. I'm Italian, so i'll try to explain this the better way i can. Well, i was reading this post: general-support/flashing-with-laptop-ich9m-chipset-t996.html and i figured out where the problem is...

1) First of all, if you want to flash all drives you have to use an O.S 32bit (x86), because portio32 and jungleflasher won't work with 64bit (x64) o.s. (if you're having trouble installing portio32 on windows seven or vista follow jungleflasher.pdf tutorial to know how to solve it)

2) Jungleflasher WORKS with eSata port, usb to rs232 adapter (with proper drivers) and ck3 or maximus (using an external power supply!)

3) READ CAREFULLY: instead of what this post (general-support/flashing-with-laptop-ich9m-chipset-t996.html) says, you have to disable AHCI mode from your bios in such a way to make Intel Matrix Storage Manager not work. Why??? Jungleflasher recognizes your drives (harddisk, dvd drive etc etc) only if IDE mode is active. The problem is that if you've installed your o.s in ahci (or sata or raid) mode, if you try to switch from the bios to ide mode you will have a BSOD. A similar issue is explained here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976 (read what happens). I've found a workaround (thanks to microsoft support). I've made some registry keys that enable pciide.sys (and disable msahci.sys) driver so you can switch from ahci to ide mode without formatting your laptop. Obviously the process is reversible! Well, when you've done this, intel matrix storage manager stop working and....TADAAA!!! Jungleflasher recognizes all you drives, hdd and dvd reader too!!!

Hope this is useful to someone

p.s: if you have problem about plug&play your drive, follow this guide:
Now I've seen some posts about not having hot plugging with IDE mode as a reason for using AHCI. At least with the ICH9M I've found you can do the following while in IDE mode and using Vista / XP.

1. Plug in your eSata drive.

2. Open the device manger and expand 'IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers'.

3. Right click the channel your eSata drive is on and select 'Scan for hardware changes'.

Vista or XP should now see your drive, if it's the first time the OS has seen the drive it might 'install new hardware'. If you want to disconnect the drive without shutting down then

1. Open the device manger and expand 'IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers'.

2. Right click the channel your eSata drive is on and select 'Disable'.

3. Confirm.

Be patient and you should see your eSata drive disappear from the system, under explorer for instance, at which point you can disconnect it.

If you want to plug in a different drive or the same one again, then

1. Plug in your eSata drive.

2. Open the device manger and expand 'IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers'.

3. Right click the channel your eSata drive is on and select 'Enable'.

Silentbomber Wrote >>
(Very nice tut. I want to set my laptop up for flashing drives, what is the exact usb/esata devices were used, could you find me it on ebay?

I have a toshiba satalite laptop but unsure of chipsset on motherboard.

Any advice, and hep would be great.

Thanks in advance)

Well, first check with cpuz if your chipset is supported (open cpuz, select "motherboard" tab. The southbridge is your sata chipset) with this list:

- VIA cards
- all VIA cards with a 6420 chipset
- IDE Controllers
- NVIDIA nForce 2 IDE Controller
- NVIDIA nForce 4 IDE Controller
- Intel ICH9
- Intel ICH (i810,i815,i840)
- Intel ICH0
- Intel ICH2M
- Intel ICH2 (i810E2,i845,850,860)
- Intel C-ICH (i810E2)
- Intel ICH3M
- Intel ICH3 (E7500/1)
- Intel ICH4 (i845GV,i845E,i852,i855)
- Intel ICH5
- Intel ESB (855GME/875P + 6300ESB)
- Intel ICH6 (and 6) (i915)
- Intel ICH7/7-R (i945, i975)
- Intel PIIX3 for the 430HX etc
- Intel PIIX4
- Intel PIIX4 for the 430TX/440BX/MX chipset
- Intel PIIX
- SATA Controllers
- NVIDIA nForce 4 SATA Controller
- NVIDIA nForce 2 SATA Controller
- NVIDIA nForce 3 SATA Controller
- NVIDIA nForce MCP04 SATA Controller
- NVIDIA nForce MCP51 SATA Controller
- NVIDIA nForce MCP55 SATA Controller
- NVIDIA nForce MCP61 SATA Controller
- Intel 82801EB (ICH5)
- Intel 6300ESB (ICH5)
- Intel 82801FB/FW (ICH6/ICH6W)
- Intel 82801FR/FRW (ICH6R/ICH6RW)
- Intel 82801FBM ICH6M
- Intel Enterprise Southbridge 2 (631xESB/632xESB)
- Intel 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7, identical to ICH6)
- Intel 2801GBM/GHM (ICH7M, identical to ICH6M)
- Intel SATA Controller IDE (ICH8)
- Intel Mobile SATA Controller IDE (ICH8M)
- Intel SATA Controller IDE (ICH9)
- Intel SATA Controller IDE (ICH9M)

Then, if your laptop has an esata port, you need a converter from esata to sata, like this: http://cgi.ebay.it/0-5M-eSATA-to-SATA-D ... 414a43dd4b
If your laptop hasn't got a serial port, you need a rs232 to usb cable: http://cgi.ebay.it/USB-2-0-to-RS232-Ser ... 35a5c53816

then if your os is x64, you need to format with x86 (32bit o.s). Set to ide from your bios...well, folow the tutorial! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

edit:
by darkingthereturn » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:36 am
Here there is a new version of jungleflasher that supports x64 o.s, so no need to format to x86!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

JungleFlasher 0.1.69(75)

=====================================

Firmtool Engine
---------------------------------------
Finally re-coded firmtool engine correctly
- full support for encrypted lite-on, source and target
- easier support for cross spoofing

Port IO
Using Schtrom's driver portIO driver, which includes 64bit support.

iXtreme 1.61 for lite-on
Will autoload iX 1.61 for Liteon

Hitachi Support
Added new spoofing method for Hitachi. "Auto Spoof", will spoof inquiry and key
on the fly directly from source buffer. Will use existing file or request for
load if empty.

KeyDB Viewer
--------------------------------------
New keyDB, right click source tab.

This post has been edited by darkingthereturn: Jan 3 2010, 03:27 AM

pricemeista33

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 08:32:00 PM »

Hey this is great work darkingthereturn; I am excited to do this and will probably consider flashing all of my drives using this method as well.

This post has been edited by BoNg420: Jan 5 2010, 01:43 PM

darkingthereturn

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »

BoNg420

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 05:45:00 AM »

I edited the 2nd guys post because he quoted this huge post.

For anyone who wants a via 6421 chipset card for laptop get this, this is the one I bought and I can flash everything but hitachi 46-59 with it, havent tried a 78/79 yet

http://www.cross-mar...card-p-113.html

OneStepAhead608

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 02:57:00 PM »

can you post the registry keys that you made? thanks

my bios has no option for ahci/ide mode

This post has been edited by OneStepAhead608: Jan 5 2010, 11:26 PM

iateshaggy

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 03:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(BoNg420 @ Jan 5 2010, 06:45 AM) View Post

For anyone who wants a via 6421 chipset card for laptop get this, this is the one I bought and I can flash everything but hitachi 46-59 with it, havent tried a 78/79 yet

i tried this and was successful w/ benq sammy and hitachi but got the via freeze of doom on liteon.  i tried swapping via driver w/ uniata driver but then got freezes w/ benq.  care to share your methods w/ me?

ps, that is a great price on the via, but expect 2 weeks shipping.

OneStepAhead608

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 04:10:00 PM »

i cant figure out how to set my hp laptop to ide mode. there is no option for it in the bios, the bios is pretty stripped down, not many options. im thinking i need an amd sata driver (native ide mode) to get this to work.. right now i just have Standard AHCI1.0 Serial ATA Controller in device manager. im trying to find a different driver, ill report back

darkingthereturn

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 11:49:00 AM »

QUOTE(BoNg420 @ Jan 5 2010, 01:45 PM) View Post

mmmh...this is a pcmcia (not for all notebooks), i've got for example an expresscard x54...

QUOTE(OneStepAhead608 @ Jan 5 2010, 10:57 PM) View Post

can you post the registry keys that you made? thanks

my bios has no option for ahci/ide mode

here you are. First of all look for ide/sata mode in your bios. NO RAID, AHCI!!!
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RB1AFT0G
p.s: if there aren't options to switch from ahci to ide in your bios, try to upgrade it downloading the firmware from your notebook's manufacturer

BoNg420

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(iateshaggy @ Jan 5 2010, 05:35 PM) View Post

i tried this and was successful w/ benq sammy and hitachi but got the via freeze of doom on liteon.  i tried swapping via driver w/ uniata driver but then got freezes w/ benq.  care to share your methods w/ me?

ps, that is a great price on the via, but expect 2 weeks shipping.

I am using windows 7.  I went to control panel, devices, then choose the VIA chipset, right click, then disable.

Then go to windows\system32\drivers  and delete viamraid.sys or rename to viamraid.sys.bak i think thats the file.  I believe its different on windows 7 then it is on xp or vista though but it will be somethingMRAID.sys I am pretty sure of that, after you do that go back to device manager and re-enable the device, restart, pray.

QUOTE(darkingthereturn @ Jan 8 2010, 01:49 PM) View Post

mmmh...this is a pcmcia (not for all notebooks), i've got for example an expresscard x54...

I had to also purchase this

http://www.newegg.co...0-010-_-Product

to make things work with my laptop because I don't have PCMCIA.  This might be the reason I have problems with older hitachis besides 78 and 79, but I can use my SATA to USB cable to flash those.

Do you have a via6421 expresscard x54?  If so, got a link where to buy?

tequiller

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 02:57:00 PM »

I have a Lenovo Y550, flashes everything fine with Jungleflasher, no extra cards needed.

Has an esata port, just need a sata->esata cable.

Not sure if the cheaper models with the celeron processors work too, but they also have an esata port.

preludexl

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 01:32:00 AM »

Can someone rewrite this. Thanks to the original poster but the English is a little loose for obvious reasons. I am not using a laptop for this but I think people reading this might appreciate it especially if ppl keep linking to this article for other newbies to read. it is a good topic nonetheless.

darkingthereturn

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 02:02:00 AM »

QUOTE(preludexl @ Jan 10 2010, 09:32 AM) View Post

Can someone rewrite this. Thanks to the original poster but the English is a little loose for obvious reasons. I am not using a laptop for this but I think people reading this might appreciate it especially if ppl keep linking to this article for other newbies to read. it is a good topic nonetheless.

thanks!!! smile.gif

iateshaggy

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 07:42:00 AM »

QUOTE(BoNg420 @ Jan 8 2010, 02:25 PM) View Post

I am using windows 7.  I went to control panel, devices, then choose the VIA chipset, right click, then disable.

Then go to windows\system32\drivers  and delete viamraid.sys or rename to viamraid.sys.bak i think thats the file.  I believe its different on windows 7 then it is on xp or vista though but it will be somethingMRAID.sys I am pretty sure of that, after you do that go back to device manager and re-enable the device, restart, pray.
I had to also purchase this

http://www.newegg.co...0-010-_-Product

to make things work with my laptop because I don't have PCMCIA.  This might be the reason I have problems with older hitachis besides 78 and 79, but I can use my SATA to USB cable to flash those.

Do you have a via6421 expresscard x54?  If so, got a link where to buy?

tried that, it made the drive vanish, i was however using xp (lappy only has 512 ram.)

Sultans360

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 06:33:00 PM »

Hi,my first post but i have received a lot of help just from reading the posts

Firstly i have tried on 2 different laptops and have the following problems

laptop 1 has a pcmcia slot and when i put in the sata card i dont get any drives seen whatsoever, the via drivers or the generic drivers must be installed or windows and in turn jungleflasher does not see any ports.

Laptop 2 is a toshiba and like a earlier post i have the same problem,the bios does not have any settings for ide/ahci,the sata card with via drivers cannot be disabled because jf once again doesnt see any sata ports.

The first lappy is a older dell so that will not be my point of focus because it could be down to the limits of the pcmcia/chipset combo, i have already given up trying to see any liteons on that.

Will try and see if the regfiles work on the newer toshiba, just one thing the downlod has 2 files in each folder without any clue as to which one to use, any help would be appreciated.

Sultans360

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 08:13:00 PM »

just a quick follow up

tried various combinations of the reg files rebooting after every one and for me none of the files worked.

my laptop has a ich-7m chipset so even though its on the list of working chipsets for me i have to now look elsewhere.
Pages: [1] 2