xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Samsung Flashing Help - Advanced  (Read 14 times)

grimreaper204

• Archived User
Samsung Flashing Help - Advanced
« on: October 18, 2009, 04:04:00 PM »

Currently have a MS28 Samsung which has a modchip installed in it (Xeno360) the firmware on the modchip is out of date so it does not read wave 3 games, I've tried extracting the key with jungle flasher and Iprep, just so I can flash the drive and discard the chip. I've tried with the modchip installed and with it disconnected (cables removed), each time I get an unknown flash properties so I have no way of getting the key, Not sure if the person that modded the console messed up on the firmware because normally you should still be able to just flash the dvd drive like normal even with a modchip. Please no newb replies as I've modded a tonne of consoles. Just wondering if there is any way to just update the firmware on the chip or is there another method to extract the key, also Sam Unlock on JF fails at stage 2.

Thanks

ps2moduk

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 05:39:00 PM »

Grim have you tried using one of the dos progs? Dosflash or USB modification tool?

Also have you tried doing the intro/device id then whipping out the power cable to the drive and back in then doing the intro/device id again this will at least let you read the flash.

xboxer360

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 06:25:00 PM »

your firmware should still be on there, the xeno360 wouldn't work without it, it's just a patch chip.
try doing an intro and switching the drive off and on instead of samunlock. otherwise you might have to pull the sst chip and put it in a willem or do the jtag hack

run187

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 06:58:00 PM »

do dos and dos flash 32 see the chip , and does it read originals without chip on
i would check the hitachi tab see if shows there if i read correctly you can shove either s/h fw on them..

grimreaper204

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 10:27:00 PM »

QUOTE(xboxer360 @ Oct 19 2009, 01:25 AM) *

your firmware should still be on there, the xeno360 wouldn't work without it, it's just a patch chip.
try doing an intro and switching the drive off and on instead of samunlock. otherwise you might have to pull the sst chip and put it in a willem or do the jtag hack

I've tried the intro device, currently use a connectivity kit so turn it off with that, it achieves vendor mode just that it shows unknown flash chip so it will not do the read. During Iprep (dos) it sees the Xtreme drive, I turn it off, select the drive, wait 10seconds turn it on but just says unknown flash chip and just kicks me out, never thought of pulling the chip itself out, seems like a ton of work, any additional equipment needed to read it from the chip? and jtag hack? sorry only things I've never heard of (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

QUOTE(ps2moduk @ Oct 19 2009, 12:39 AM) *

Grim have you tried using one of the dos progs? Dosflash or USB modification tool?

Also have you tried doing the intro/device id then whipping out the power cable to the drive and back in then doing the intro/device id again this will at least let you read the flash.

I've tried the intro device, currently use a connectivity kit so turn it off with that, it achieves vendor mode just that it shows unknown flash chip so it will not do the read. During Iprep (dos) it sees the Xtreme drive, I turn it off, select the drive, wait 10seconds turn it on but just says unknown flash chip and just kicks me out

grimreaper204

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 11:14:00 PM »

QUOTE(grimreaper204 @ Oct 18 2009, 11:27 PM) *

I've tried the intro device, currently use a connectivity kit so turn it off with that, it achieves vendor mode just that it shows unknown flash chip so it will not do the read. During Iprep (dos) it sees the Xtreme drive, I turn it off, select the drive, wait 10seconds turn it on but just says unknown flash chip and just kicks me out, never thought of pulling the chip itself out, seems like a ton of work, any additional equipment needed to read it from the chip? and jtag hack? sorry only things I've never heard of (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
I've tried the intro device, currently use a connectivity kit so turn it off with that, it achieves vendor mode just that it shows unknown flash chip so it will not do the read. During Iprep (dos) it sees the Xtreme drive, I turn it off, select the drive, wait 10seconds turn it on but just says unknown flash chip and just kicks me out

EDIT
Tried Dos Flash, just says unknown chip properties, tried 360 modification disc, somehow it read the firmware but I can't open the orig.bin in JF, says this is not a valid source fw, if I put it into the target firmware it won't load (of course) but it gives me an MD5 Hash number that is 32 characters long, same amount as regular keys, is that interchangeable as the key, just manually spoof it or is it just useless, seems to be somewhat similar to my other original samsung numbers,  I did 3 other reads of it though and they're all different, did the same thing on my other samsung drive and it gives me a key straight out no MD5 hash so guess that one is out, any other suggestions? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

This post has been edited by grimreaper204: Oct 19 2009, 06:27 AM

syntaxerror329

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 11:49:00 PM »

Just to clarify, you removed all the mod chips wires from the drive and you still can't read it?

With the mod chip removed does the drive still work and play original games?

Only thing i can think of is the chip or chip wiring is causing the problem. You clearly know how to read a samsung, you can read your other sammy fine after all.

grimreaper204

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 10:14:00 AM »

QUOTE(syntaxerror329 @ Oct 19 2009, 01:49 AM) *

Just to clarify, you removed all the mod chips wires from the drive and you still can't read it?

With the mod chip removed does the drive still work and play original games?

Only thing i can think of is the chip or chip wiring is causing the problem. You clearly know how to read a samsung, you can read your other sammy fine after all.

Tried with the modchip disconnected and connected, either way still works and play originals so that should mean the key is there only thing I havent tried is to desolder the resistor and connect a switch (M25 swap) since it does have the original firmware but still weird it should still work with the other methods, other then that I looked at the wiring diagrams for the modchip and nothing is bridged or altered with it disconnected so doesn't seem like that would be the problem. Any guides for desoldering the VSS chip and reading it? no idea on how to do that still remains my last option I suppose
Heres the wiring diagram of the chip
http://www.xeno-360.com/install/samsung.jpg
number 8 and number 9 points were not soldered on the chip when I got it so don't know about that
Also have to go in further but VSS solder on the actual board (not chip) may be f-ed up so have to check that out

Thanks so far

This post has been edited by grimreaper204: Oct 19 2009, 05:18 PM

syntaxerror329

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »

QUOTE(grimreaper204 @ Oct 19 2009, 12:14 PM) *

Tried with the modchip disconnected and connected, either way still works and play originals so that should mean the key is there only thing I havent tried is to desolder the resistor and connect a switch (M25 swap) since it does have the original firmware but still weird it should still work with the other methods, other then that I looked at the wiring diagrams for the modchip and nothing is bridged or altered with it disconnected so doesn't seem like that would be the problem. Any guides for desoldering the VSS chip and reading it? no idea on how to do that still remains my last option I suppose
Heres the wiring diagram of the chip
http://www.xeno-360.com/install/samsung.jpg
number 8 and number 9 points were not soldered on the chip when I got it so don't know about that
Also have to go in further but VSS solder on the actual board (not chip) may be f-ed up so have to check that out

Thanks so far

I reviewed the install diagram and I agree with you. You are doing everything i would do.

Please no newb replies as I've modded a tonne of consoles

Sorry if this is a newb comment but here i go.

You can read your other samsung fine. So my question is what firmware is on that samsung drive? If it is a stock ms25 firmware reading it is easy as pie. If it has Xtreme, iXtreme or if it has ms28 firmware then it has firmguard protection and that makes it slightly harder to read.

So to further rule out the problem I just want to verify that you are able to read a samsung with firmguard.

So lets say your spare is a ms25. Flash it with ixtreme and then tell us if you can still read it back fine.

If you pass this test then you should send the board to a expert for evaluation or TSOP extraction. (pm me if you want me to do it)

If you want to do it yourself, you need a heat gun, you need to remove the epoxy around all 32 pins of the chip, and you need a williem programmer. The epoxy makes such a mess that the last one i did required me to solder wires from the tsop to the programmer. (fun wow!!)

I had a real good picture but I can't find it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

grimreaper204

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 03:11:00 PM »

QUOTE(syntaxerror329 @ Oct 19 2009, 12:35 PM) *

I reviewed the install diagram and I agree with you. You are doing everything i would do.
Sorry if this is a newb comment but here i go.

You can read your other samsung fine. So my question is what firmware is on that samsung drive? If it is a stock ms25 firmware reading it is easy as pie. If it has Xtreme, iXtreme or if it has ms28 firmware then it has firmguard protection and that makes it slightly harder to read.

Other drive is a samsung MS28 - Ixtreme 1.6 thing is I modded it with the same comp, same settings same programs everything so it should show the key of the one I'm trying to do, one I'm doing should have stock firmware, gonna try soldering a wire from the VSS that was previously soldered on the board and just electrical tape it to the circuit board, gotta figure out where it connects to though. I'm thinking there is a short there so we'll see. Other then that should I even bother trying the resistor desolder and soldering a switch on there, Thats normally just to bypass the read block if you don't have a VIA chipset so I'd imagine its useless. I'm also assuming a williem programmer is some sort of chip that I'd have to buy lol

syntaxerror329

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 05:56:00 PM »

Well now i am clear that you can dump samsungs both with firmgaurd and without.

The board still works and the drive plays games.

The VCC switch method is a real long shot i think but what else do you have left to try. It's often the last step someone does before they break something really bad.

I did some search for you on how to do the VCC trick and only found people saying not to do it.

Maybe if you took a picture of the samsung circuit board and posted it someone could identify whats wrong. I would like to see a close up of the area for the VCC point. (camera trick, you can take a picture through a magnifing glass if close ups give you trouble)

The thing that has me puzzeled is that if something is wrong then i would not expect the drive to work anymore.

here is what a Williem programmer looks like. You probably don't want to buy one of these just to recover one key.

(IMG:http://www.sivava.com/img-product/EPROM_Pro_04/pcb4-5c_construction-EBay.jpg)

grimreaper204

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 07:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(syntaxerror329 @ Oct 19 2009, 07:56 PM) *

Well now i am clear that you can dump samsungs both with firmgaurd and without.

The board still works and the drive plays games.

The VCC switch method is a real long shot i think but what else do you have left to try. It's often the last step someone does before they break something really bad.

Alright I got a step further haha, I attached a bridge wire to one of the holes that was destroyed from the mod chip installer and followed the mobo trace and put the other end of the wire in there. Ran JF it recognized it finally but hung up during reading so I used 360 modification disc, finally it spit out an actual legit key, I restarted, ran the program again 2 more times and received the same key, registered as MS28 Original FW, so then I guess the wires moved on me so I lost that connection blah blah re-did it, I read in JF but it hangs after a bit, keeps losing the correct status but I erased it and reflashed it in Iprep but it won't read an original now, hangs at reading then just goes to open tray, product of the wrong key? going to try to disconnect the jumper wire and play some more, let me know if it sounds like a bad key to you getting closer each day though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

EDIT
wow this is embarassing BUT it is now done (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I removed the jumper wire, had the same problem so i was like WTF, so I looked more closely didn't plug in one of the wires that attached to the dvd drive mobo, theyre so thing and hard to see and awkward (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) shutup haha but either way Ixtreme 1.6 on there now, reading wave 3's (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) finally a 2 day stress fest is over, thanks everyone for the help, I'm gonna go smoke a bowl now and relax

woot (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

This post has been edited by grimreaper204: Oct 20 2009, 02:15 AM

syntaxerror329

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 12:12:00 AM »

Before you did the Edit i read that you erased it and figured you were done for.
Congrats. I knew there has to be something wrong with wiring after everything else was ruled out.

Smoke one for me.

Since your a stoner you should check out my custom case mod - aka the Weedbox 360

Here is the thread.

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=682184