xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Using Your Xbox Nfsu2 Save In The Pc Version  (Read 117 times)

magu

• Archived User
Using Your Xbox Nfsu2 Save In The Pc Version
« on: December 23, 2004, 11:47:00 AM »

First of all, I'm writing this because no documentation was available on how to do it. I wanted to play NFSU2 on my PC, but my graphics card is not good enough, so I got the XBOX version of the game. So far my car has a 10-star rating, with all mods unlocked. But this is no use if you cannot play with your friends. There's a lanhouse where all my friends meet, and they have NFSU2 installed. So I wanted to be able to take my XBOX savegame to play on their PCs. Here's how:

Requirements:

- PC with a binary editor (can be the EDIT available in the DOS prompt);
- Modded XBOX (so you can have access via FTP);
- The game installed on both the PC and the XBOX (with the same username on the savegame -- ie: your profile on the XBOX in the game is the same as the PC one. If it's not, you can still do it, but that involves some tweaking.);

Disclaimer:

If you manage to destroy your XBOX or your PC while doing this, your very dumb! But I am in no way responsible for anything you do. These are just guidelines, and probably someone will come up with a better way of doing it, so don't blame me for anything that goes wrong.

How-to:

1) Connect to you XBOX via FTP (if you don't know how to do it, you can stop reading this).

2) Find the UDATA folder inside the E drive (normal installation).

3) Inside the UDATA folder, you'll find various with strange names, such as 080275da or 0face008.

4) Look inside each one of them for the NFSU2 savegame (mine was 4541005a). Inside you'll find the files TitleMeta.xbx and TitleImage.xbx, along with a number of folders corresponding to the number of profiles you have created in the game. You'll know it's the right save folder if you find, inside any of those folders, the files: saveimage.xbx, SaveMeta.xbx and a file with your profile name and no extension, sizing 52kb or so (In my WinXP PRO SP2 the file has 52,6kb).

5) Copy this file to your PC version save folder (normally C:\Documents and Settings\--YOUR WINDOWS USER--\Local Settings\Application Data\NFS Underground 2\--YOUR PROFILE NAME IN THE PC GAME--), but give it an extension of .xbox, so the file would look like this (for my case):

CODE
from the XBOX (MAGU) to the PC (magu.xbox)

!! ONE IMPORTANT NOTE!!

The PC version is CASE-SENSITIVE, unlike the XBOX's. So when you copy your savegame, make sure you name it the same way your profile is named. OR IT WON'T WORK!

6) Now you can close the FTP client. Open an Explorer folder in C:\Documents and Settings\--YOUR WINDOWS USER--\Local Settings\Application Data\NFS Underground 2\--YOUR PROFILE NAME IN THE PC GAME--, and copy your PC profile (the one with no extension) to --YOUR PROFILE NAME IN THE PC GAME--.pc, so you can easily know which one is which (it's important later on).

7) Open up you binary editor (may be the DOS EDIT, which works fine, if you set the line width to 16 and select Open as Binary in the Open dialog).

(I'll start using my files to be easily understandable)

8) Load both files (in my case: magu.pc and magu.xbox) and and, in the first one, Ctrl+C (copy) the first 128 lines (assuming you have selected line width = 16) Just select everything until you reach the first block of 'ddddddd'. There will be 14 lines of 'd's, the last having only 1 'd' and the first having 12 'd's. DO NOT SELECT THE FIRST 4 SPACES BEFORE THE START OF THE 'd' BLOCK.

9) Now on the magu.xbox (in my case) file, select everything the same way you did before, but this time you'll PASTE the contents you copied before, using Ctrl+V or the Paste command in the Edit menu.

10) Now go to the first file (magu.pc) again, and move to line 3114. Select everything from that line (including it) down to the end of the file. Copy (Ctrl+C) and switch to the magu.xbox (in my case) file.

11) Move to the line 3117 and select everything until you reach the end of the file. Now paste (Ctrl+V) the contents of the other file you just copied.

12) In the same file, go to line 3363, and you'll find your profile name from the PC in there. If for some reason it is not the same name as your profile in the PC, you have made a mistake using the files, and you copied your XBOX contents into you PC file, which may work (not tested!) on your XBOX, but won't work for the PC version.

13) Now go to the end of you file. It should have 3437 lines, with a total size of 54Kb (53,6Kb). If it doesn't you must have done something wrong, so try again or buy better glasses.

14) Save your PC version savegame (the one we've been working on) as your profile, without the extension, overwriting the one you had. Don't worry, if you didn't save during the process, you magu.pc (in my case) will be the backup.

Happy converting!

If you did not understand something, mail me at [email protected].

Hope you guys can come up with a small app that does this automatically, since I really don't want to bother doing this.

[]'s
magu <

DeliriousAmI

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2005, 11:44:00 PM »

how do you go to a specific line?  and what program did you is to edit it?  i have winhex and hex edit  ive never used the dos edit.... <

TRN4L

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 11:38:00 AM »

I've followed your instructions and got an error, i did somthing a little different, got no error, but nothing apears to have been transfered over (cars, career etc.) what i did differently is pasting line 3114 - end, at line 3114 to end in the xbox file, instead of pasting at 3117, because when i paste at 3117 i get the error. <

DeliriousAmI

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005, 02:19:00 PM »

will it work vice versa let you play your pc save on xbox? <

magu

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 07:34:00 AM »

Sorry for taking so long.

As for the answers:

I use the EDIT program that comes bundled with Windows. Just go in the DOS Prompt and type EDIT [Enter].

About the error, I have to check. My PC is returning home today, so later I'll see what's wrong.

I still don't know if the process is reversible, but I think it is. Again, I will be checking later today, since I want to transfer my new save back to XBOX.

I'll keep you posted.

[]'s
magu <

ToiletofSadness

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2005, 10:35:00 PM »

This should be real easy to wrap in a program, assuming I can get to it before I get bogged down with university assignments.

magu: if you could find out how (or if it is possible) to reverse this process, I could get to coding this during the weekend. <

d3fault_dot_xbe

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 05:56:00 PM »

mmm nice find magu :-D

i also want to use the PC save on Xbox though... <

TRN4L

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2005, 12:26:00 AM »

uhm, any progress on this? i wanna use my game save, but uhm the process did work for me. i tried several times following the directions here. <

rajeshgoli

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2005, 12:26:00 PM »

I tried the reverse process, does not seem to work :-(... any ideas?... i've got a great car on my PC.. wannal transfer to xbox <

ltdc2004

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2005, 07:39:00 PM »

is their any progress on a tool being made that can convert both ways? <