xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: New To Xbox Modding; Botched Hdd  (Read 466 times)

shambles1980

• Recovered User
New To Xbox Modding; Botched Hdd
« on: September 05, 2013, 10:02:00 PM »

OK..
it could be tsop flashed..
but it does sound like it was a soft mod.
error 14 actually isnt all that common, you would usually get 13, but for purpouses of fixing this issue its virtually the same so we can treat it the same..

so..
i will now list a bunch of methods to try.. please read them all then decide which you wish to try. after that you can ask for help on any of the given methods,

------------

best method to save your data with a pc:

your hard disk is locked to your xbox. it has its own password stored on a eeprom chip. we basically call this password eeprom.bin "because that is mostly the form we use it in"
if you have your eeprom.bin then its not all that bad. BUT you may need to find a windows pc with a ide port.
probably easiest with a windows/linux based pc..

What you want to do is build your self an xboxhdm disk. you dont really need to worry to much about the files to start it, as you would really want to save what you already have on the xbox.
So just build a xboxhdm disk (or usb) and have your eeprom.bin file on the disk/usb "make sure its in the eeprom folder"
then with your xboxhdm disk at hand connect your xbox hard disk to the pc and use the disk to unlock the drive.
with the drive unlocked you can now load in to windows and use a program called xplorer360 this will let you see the contents of your hard disk.
You will want to find softmodded C and E drive files (i cant link you to them but maybe you could google. "xboxhdm 1.9 + hexen"  and if you find it that should have all the C and e files you need. (also happily has xboxhdm "cd version" )

Now you would want to coppy the contents of the softmodded C files (the ones you found on the internet i cannot link you to) To your C partition on your hard disk.. And then do the same thing for the e files "they would go to the E partition.. (try to move only 4-5 files at a time. or xplorer360 may freeze)

when thats done. You would want to restart and use xboxhdm to re lock your drive,
That should have it all working again.
IF you start up but have a black screen and no error message. Insert one of your recovery disks you made. and that should let you reinstall the softmod again. "the black screen would be because of kernel/eeprom issues, and i dont remember if i used a generic or specific kernel"

-----

Best method for a clean start with your pc:
google find and download "xboxhdm 1.9 + hexen" add your eeprom.bin file to the eeprom folder
make the xboxhdm disk restart, connect your hard disk to the pc and boot your pc using xboxhdm as your boot disk.
Tell xboxhdm to unlock your hard disk. then tell xboxhdm to build you a new hard disk. and when its done.. tell xboxhdm to lock your hard disk..

-----

(WAIT I HAVE NO EEPROM.BIN)

You could possibly "quite unlikley but pssibly" recover your console by using a live enabled game like halo 2 or a live enabled game that came after halo 2.
provided you havent left the xbox unplugged fr a length of time and now have an error 16. you should still be able to load retail games..

Boot up the retail game and tell it to connect to xbox live.
if you are lucky it will start a dash update and will restore your xbox to a UNMODDED but working state.

Equally..
If your lucky "probable actually dependant of modding method"
You can use a game like splinter cell. mech assault or 007, and start with that then follow the process to install a soft mod from one of the tutorials.
There may well be save game exploits on the console.
they porbably wont let you install the softmod directly, but if they wont they should atleast let you sellect "boot from recovery disk"
Sellect that and follow on screen instructions..

"i reccomend HEXEN 'heimdalls xbox engineering disk' as your recovery disk. (burn it to DVD-R at 4x or slower. use IMGburn)"

if you get to boot hexen tell it to do a 1 click softmod install (i use krazies but king roach is fine) 1.1.1 SC exploit (pal or ntsc depending where you are)

follow the instructions and you will be modded again..

Or of course.
hot swap.
This is basically exactly the same as the 1st method i mentioned using xplorer360 "so you dont lose your files"
or using xboxhdm disks "so you build it from scratch"

the only diference is you dont have to lock and unlock your drive because the xbox will lock and unlock it..
-----

I Think that has covered all the bases,

obviously you do have the option of installing a mod chip. Even if you only install one tempory  it would be enough to boot a recovery disk and tell it to soft mod..

if your friend has a solderless adapter with his/her chip and dosent mind removing it, provided your xbox is compatable with the bios on the chip you can boot up and softmod and give the chip back..

P.S
Evox m8+ is compatable with all xbox's
Although i think your friend is running one of the xecuter bioses.

Ok that really should have covered it all.
i may have missed a method or 2 because it is now 5 am and i been working all night lol.

shambles1980

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 11:46:00 AM »

well your xbox is a 1.6b
so it isnt tsop flashed either..

also that mod chip is installed using the quick solder method which means its pretty much on there for good any way..

You could try a config magic approach, but may not work because your xbox is a diferent revison..
(if you both had 1.6's it would not be that bad)
with both of them being 1.6 you could have changed your friends eeprom to mach yours then done all the work you wanted to do on that xbox.

I will not reccomend you add a 1.6 eeprom to that xbox though..
all eeproms are not interchangable and you would probably end up witha  black screen issue..

Your best bet...

get a mod chip.

djj2k

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 04:56:00 PM »

I've got a similar problem if anyone can offer constructive input:
I have a softmodded xbox with the stock 8g drive installed, it works great.
I'm trying to upgrade to a 40g hd, which I am trying to build from scratch using xboxhdm2.2 final usb edition + ndure 3.1, my eeprom, and the MS dashboard files I ftp'd from the working xbox's e/backup/MS folder.
I downloaded the iso, followed the guide to the letter.  Used grub4dos installer, even replaced the gldldr file in the guide for grub4dos.
The usb stick booted fine to slax and a gui and I launched the tool from there to do everything.

While making the usb stick, per instructions on a guide on this forum for 2.2 usb, I put the MS dash files I ftp'd from the working drive into the ndure/C folder located in the xboxhdm (root/hdm/ndure/c per the iso I downloaded from the guide) and I copied the c and e folder that ndure's installer built to the root/hdm/ndure/e folder on the usb drive.  The c folder built by the ndure 3.1 installer and MS dashboard files were essentially in the same directory (root/hdm/ndure/c) because i noticed if they weren't, there was issues when building the drive from scratch from the gui / slax bootup; but that's what following the guide lead to.
I just successfully built the drive (so I thought) but I still get error 13. It's an improvement from 21 though I suppose.

shambles1980

• Recovered User
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 06:53:00 PM »

@ Original poster:
if your in the uk i have some mod chips and offer an install service.
if your in the usa. then you would be able to find them cheaper there if you factor in conversion rates and shipping.
Any mod chip from an aladdin xt. duox3, duox2, or xecuter 2.6ce should be affordable and able to do what you want (those are listed from cheapest to most expensive to buy)

@ new poster.

ok 1st you really should make your own thread,
because:
A:its polite.
B:it means that we "the helpers" dont confuse person A's issues with person B's ( i dont know about every one els but i dont check the names of every poster to make sure they are the seme perosn)
C: your topic description could be different than the OP's and so when people google the same issue they find the thread, and dont have to ask the same question..

any way as you are here (and i still would reccomend you make a new thread)

You would want to make sure your not copying shaddow C files to your xbohdm, you need the actuall files on C:

The easist way to make sure that you arent copying shaddow C files..
Boot up hexen "heimdalls xbox engineering disk" use the DVD version not the hdd version..
(burn it to dvd-r at 4x or slower)

when hexen loads your light on the xbox will go a solid red indicating it is by passing shaddow C

now you hare in hexen you can ftp the files to your pc.
be sure to get C and E drives.
(although not 100% needed. depending on how you softmodded the 1st xbox the e drive should have some game save exploit back door saves on there. those alone if on your new modded xbox can fix your error 13)

Regardless of what i just said..

your xbox could still be softmodded just missing dash files.
so when you make that hexen dvd. try it with the new drive 1st. if it boots up to hexen just tell that to do a 1 click softmod install.

If none of that helps. (i dont see why it wont)

you could try to boot a live enabled game "halo 2 or later" not an earlier released live enabled game.
that should boot up regardless of the error 13 (original copy)
tell that to connect to live and it should then update your dash.

that "if it does update your dash" will give you an unmodded xbox with 40gb drive,
then you can softmod it with a game save exploit.

any way please make your own thread if none of that works.

shambles1980

• Recovered User
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 07:28:00 PM »

your issues is making the files.
not to impressed with the attitude, but never the less i will throw you a bone..
Google for. and download.
"Xboxhdm 1.9 Softmod + Hexen4Hdd"

in that you will find C and E folders.

Use those in your usb build.
use your same eeprom.

You will have to use the usb to 1st unlock your drive.
then do the rest like you did before.

dont ask me for any more help  dry.gif
as i am sure you never fully read my post any way.

shambles1980

• Recovered User
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 04:32:00 PM »

Its not may fault you cant comprehend..

you take the C and E folders from the 1.9 build
and put them on your usb build.

i cant say it any simpler but i will try.
Take C folder from 1.9 download Put it in 2.2
Take E folder from 1.9 download Put it in 2.2

Nopw lets try to explain some things..
The softmod is Built on a older SC exploit It has no shaddow c
This is so it fits on the cd for 1.9 users
I included a NO DVD version of hexen on the drive So the softmod can be updated from there.

simple as that.

if you cant manage that i would recommend you pay some one to mod your console.

And just so you understand..
"2,399 Downloads" (all by novices like you) some of which moved the c and e files to 2.2 as recommended as they could not use a cd version..  and 0 issues.
But it seems you are the exception..

Don't worry we can all see that it is every ones fault but yours that you cant preform a simple soft mod even with all the information you need provided to you.
And with the softmod built and ready to transfer over to 2.2,

But you simply don't understand what you are doing or what these programs are..

I will explain 1 last thing to you

XBOXHDM is an application all it really does is format your hard disk to fatx partition it (roughly) Then moves the files YOU ADDED to the partitions.
IF you supply your eeprom it can then lock your hard disk.

the only diference between 1.9 and 2.1/2.2 really is that the 2.x versions can boot from a usb.

The files you supply are the same regardless.
So You CAN just take the C and E folders that are already prepared and just put them on the 2.2 usb you made.
Now i may have populated and uploaded that download, but i did not make xboxhdm 1.9, I may have edited hexen to work from the hard disk. But i did not develop hexen.
But the strangest thing about it is, HEXEN (made by heimdall) and the softmod i pre assembled only exist
to make peoples lives easier.
IF you manage to install your softmod using the original tutorial. YOU will still need to update it using hexen or similar.

Most people comprehend this. But then again most people comprehend the tutorials too..

there arent may people who need to be spoon fed and have there assholes wiped for them like you do, But you for some reason take it even further than that and sit there saying. I dont want my asshole wiped like that. i want it wiped counter clockwise 5 times then up and down, and make sure you leave a bit of shit there so i can come back later and bitch about that.

I think that about covers it.
Good luck with modding your console.

Im sure after a while you will do what i told you find out it works perfectly fine. then come back and pretend you did it some different way then you will never bee seen under that same name again.
You wont be the 1st.
But you will be the stupidest.  biggrin.gif

SPPV

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 01:42:00 AM »

QUOTE(shambles1980 @ Sep 11 2013, 03:32 PM) View Post

Its not may fault you cant comprehend..

you take the C and E folders from the 1.9 build
and put them on your usb build.

i cant say it any simpler but i will try.
Take C folder from 1.9 download Put it in 2.2
Take E folder from 1.9 download Put it in 2.2

Nopw lets try to explain some things..
The softmod is Built on a older SC exploit It has no shaddow c
This is so it fits on the cd for 1.9 users
I included a NO DVD version of hexen on the drive So the softmod can be updated from there.

simple as that.

if you cant manage that i would recommend you pay some one to mod your console.

And just so you understand..
"2,399 Downloads" (all by novices like you) some of which moved the c and e files to 2.2 as recommended as they could not use a cd version..  and 0 issues.
But it seems you are the exception..

Don't worry we can all see that it is every ones fault but yours that you cant preform a simple soft mod even with all the information you need provided to you.
And with the softmod built and ready to transfer over to 2.2,

But you simply don't understand what you are doing or what these programs are..

I will explain 1 last thing to you

XBOXHDM is an application all it really does is format your hard disk to fatx partition it (roughly) Then moves the files YOU ADDED to the partitions.
IF you supply your eeprom it can then lock your hard disk.

the only diference between 1.9 and 2.1/2.2 really is that the 2.x versions can boot from a usb.

The files you supply are the same regardless.
So You CAN just take the C and E folders that are already prepared and just put them on the 2.2 usb you made.
Now i may have populated and uploaded that download, but i did not make xboxhdm 1.9, I may have edited hexen to work from the hard disk. But i did not develop hexen.
But the strangest thing about it is, HEXEN (made by heimdall) and the softmod i pre assembled only exist
to make peoples lives easier.
IF you manage to install your softmod using the original tutorial. YOU will still need to update it using hexen or similar.

Most people comprehend this. But then again most people comprehend the tutorials too..

there arent may people who need to be spoon fed and have there assholes wiped for them like you do, But you for some reason take it even further than that and sit there saying. I dont want my asshole wiped like that. i want it wiped counter clockwise 5 times then up and down, and make sure you leave a bit of shit there so i can come back later and bitch about that.

I think that about covers it.
Good luck with modding your console.

Im sure after a while you will do what i told you find out it works perfectly fine. then come back and pretend you did it some different way then you will never bee seen under that same name again.
You wont be the 1st.
But you will be the stupidest.  biggrin.gif

LMAO Shambles. Never seen you so, so TRUE lol. OP just use Pimped CD Edition to do it, then run Softmod menu and install SHadow C to quote a great man I already quoted "I cant make it any easier"

QUOTE(djj2k @ Sep 9 2013, 07:04 PM) View Post

I'm not a mac guy looking to switch to windows, I used 2.2 (the final complete version, which works, which is newer than 1.9 and therefore better) and ndure 3.1 (which does what hexen does and is probably why you suggested older 1.9)
No burner.

Thanks for returning the favor.
1.9 = cd edition.
By the way: I KNOW my issue is making the files, I explained that.
Thanks for nothing smile.gif
Oh heres something obvious:You developed the tool.  Shocking.
You developed the tool.  Shocking.  I'll tell Kingroach you said hi.

Xboxhdm 1.9 Softmod + Hexen4Hdd
Theres a issue with the xbmc shortcut, so.. use hexinst (loc
This is a basic softmod installer using Xboxhdm.
you can either use your eeprom.bin file from your current softmod + this to build a new larger hard disk, or you can hotswap your xbox drive with this to softmod it.
Theres a issue with the xbmc shortcut, so.. use hexinst (located on E: run default.xbe) on your xbox. and update the softmod with 1 click install krazies ndure 1.1.1 When thats done run hexen again and select install XBMC to E:. When thats finished, go to "E:\Hexen Tools\XBMC" and copy the 2 files in there to "E:\shortcuts\XBMC Shortcut\"
now the xbmc link on the 1st page of the dashboard will work.
<< this is something the developer should do before releasing the software, fixing a big bug instead of instructing the user on how to fix it every time they use the broken tool.

And please, dont use the options in hexen that are labled "DONT USE THIS" if you want to use them get the dvd version and run it from a dvd. << something else you could fix by encorporating a dropdown menu which alters which available options are available, probably something like 'dvd version'

[11 Comments] 11 [2,399 Downloads] 2,399 [Submitted 1 year ago ] 1 year ago [Uploaded By shambles1980] shambles1980
 shambles1980

1 year ago
any issues please let me know. only gave it a brief test. Should work 100% though.
Spoken like a microsoft developer.  Forgive me for not wanting to be an unpaid beta tester for you.  Windows 'should' work and was only 'briefly' tested also.  WOULD YOU USE IT ON YOUR STUFF?

Newer does NOT mean better. 2.2 brought in USB booting which yes was very good. BUT it also brought new issues, many of which due to when USB boot hit went untested and unfixed. Mainly as im sure from my chats with ldotsfan was not a lack of ability but rather lack of time. SLAX which he did not make and deserves no roast over, is a slutty and bitchy mistress. Maybe Ill work, maybe I wont go fuc% yourself. Thats SLAX for ya. If you can go 1.9. You dont need to use CDr DVD works fine. I dont know about Kingroach HDM builds, but all my releases work fine whether its burned to CD or DVD