xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Power Problem  (Read 432 times)

AZImmortal

• Archived User
Power Problem
« on: January 22, 2013, 12:39:00 PM »

It sounds like you might have a corroded trace problem: http://forums.llamma...pic.php?t=12329

Joker6633

• Archived User
Power Problem
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 04:37:00 PM »

I am not a great solderer, would it be cheaper to replace/upgrade the motherboard ?

shambles1980

• Recovered User
Power Problem
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 04:56:00 PM »

dosent sound so much of a trace issue to me..
they usualy make your xbox be always on and the tray eject instantly..

id 1st check what power supply is in the xbox..
id wager it a foxlink/foxconn whatever they want to name it..

and id then wager that the solder has broken under where the power cable plugs in..

you can just reflow that solder if that is the problem. You dont need any soldering skills to do it really.
its a matter of hold the soldering iron on the solder untill it melts. then add some more solder if you think it needs it..

if its not a foxconn/foxlink Then i would check the front pannel PCB (on off switch circuit board) that could have cracked with over zeallous button presses, and only works when its in a certain position..

IF after doing those 2 checks it is found that its not those then i would wonder if it was the traces.  

1hotjob

• Archived User
Power Problem
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 12:52:00 PM »

Pull the power supply from the Xbox. Before you do it, unplug the Xbox and press the power button 2-3 times. There is a capacitor there that stores power. If you don't release that power by pressing the power button several times you can get shocked.

After you remove the power supply, look at the bottom. Right underneath the back are two prongs. These prongs may have some black around them. That means they are burnt. Sorry, I used to have pictures, but my hard drive crashed in the PC and I lost a lot of them. These prongs come loose from plugging and unplugging the power cable. If the cable it moved side to side to loosen it from the Xbox, these prongs get moved.

As stated before, clean the area really good. Rubbing alcohol usually works. Put your soldering iron on the prong and let it heat up. It usually helps if you have put some flux on there, but it isn't completely necessary. After the prong has heated, put your solder on the prong and let it flow. You are connecting the prong to the pad on the power supply. Do the same with the other prong.

If there aren't any burnt spots, you could have a fuse problem, depending on the power supply. When it is out, you should be able to read the name on the board.

MrMajst3r

• Archived User
Power Problem
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 11:42:00 AM »

QUOTE(fallenangle @ Jan 24 2013, 03:58 PM) View Post

Is the tray drawer ejecting randomly a sign of corroded traces somewhere?

Check your motherboard, if it's 1.0-1.5 then corroded traces could be your problem. I have never met with this issue in 1.6 Xboxes.

How to fix corroded traces:
http://forums.llamma...hp?f=25&t=12329
http://forums.llamma...hp?f=25&t=12694

But firstly check continuity between PIC and P/E board:
http://diy.sickmods....-Eject_Pinouts/

fallenangle

• Recovered User
Power Problem
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 12:46:00 PM »

It's definitely a v1.6. I thought all Crystal Xboxes were v1.6.

Thanks for the tutorial links, should be useful.

shambles1980

• Recovered User
Power Problem
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 06:05:00 PM »

there were 1.4 crystals too (early ones) i have had 2 here, one confirmed by a member at a diferent forum (pal) and heimdall also confiremd it.
not very common but do exist.

the power supply should have its name printed on it you can see it without taking the psu out. (usually on the left hand side if your looking down at it from above when your standing near the power button)

there dosent have to be burning marks on the solder if the solder has failed.
i have fixed a whole bunch of these psu's and very few had burning marks (the really bad ones)

it is right you need to try and power the xbox when the power cable is not plugged in..  i cant believe i didnt mention that.
those caps hold a good charge and you will know if you get zapped by one.

as for the ejecting dvd..
this usually happens the instant the xbox is turned on.. if its a random event then id think that my eject button was being shorted out by something in the case.
but possibly wouldnt rule out the trace although it would be low on my list of culprits.