xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Dead Xbox With 120 Gig Hard Drive, Easiest Way To Put In Another?  (Read 149 times)

dekadeka

• Archived User

It has been broken for almost a year now which is a shame as its loaded with my emulators and I want to use it for bedroom for watching movies.

I bought a very cheap one on Ebay but its not softmodded.

I also bought a eeprom reader kit which was home made, basically has a 2 pin connector and a crocodile clip.

Is it easier to grab the eeprom from the new xbox and just copy it to drive? If so how?

AZImmortal

• Archived User
Dead Xbox With 120 Gig Hard Drive, Easiest Way To Put In Another?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 06:39:00 PM »

If the 120GB hard drive's not already unlocked, you'll need to unlock it with the EEPROM of the Xbox that it's currently locked to, and then assuming you don't plan to hardmod the new Xbox, you'll need to lock the 120GB hard drive with the new Xbox's EEPROM.  You'll need to do this with XboxHDM after you get the EEPROMs.

If you happen to live in Southern California, I'll gladly take the broken Xbox off your hands if you plan to throw it away.

shambles1980

• Recovered User
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 05:00:00 AM »

if you locked it with a program like xboxhdm
the master password to unlock it will be
XBOXSCENE
it could also be
TEAMASEMBLY

so try those..

but you do need to unlock the 120gb if its locked.

AZImmortal

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 05:03:00 PM »

Hotswapping's not an option for you at all so you don't need to worry about that, heh.  Like shambles1980 said, you might be able to unlock your 120gb hard drive with one of the master passwords.  Otherwise, your only other option is the EEPROM reader.

dekadeka

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 07:54:00 PM »

QUOTE(AZImmortal @ Nov 3 2012, 11:03 PM) View Post

Hotswapping's not an option for you at all so you don't need to worry about that, heh.  Like shambles1980 said, you might be able to unlock your 120gb hard drive with one of the master passwords.  Otherwise, your only other option is the EEPROM reader.

Still unclear though, I have an eeprom reader and have a backup of my new xbox eeprom as I just softmodded it  its just unlocking the old drive and putting new key on it.

So as far as I understand I just connect drive to pc and use xbox hdm but its still unclear because the guides assume its a fresh drive and to clone old one but for one that already has files on it and change the key(I assume thats it)

The drive is a Seagate btw.

Do you think its possible to get the eeprom off the broken xbox since it does turn on and goes through the process but just has no video and dvd wont open(which googling says bios corruption)

AZImmortal

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »

What you need to do is:

1) Unlock the 120gb hard drive with XboxHDM.  This is usually done with the EEPROM/key that the hard drive is currently locked to, but as I mentioned earlier, you might be able to use one of the master passwords and save yourself the hassle of needing to use your EEPROM reader.
2) Lock the 120gb hard drive to the new Xbox's EEPROM with XboxHDM.  This is basically the last step of whatever XboxHDM guide you might be following.  You won't need to do all the other stuff like populating the hard drive.

These are two separate things that might not necessarily be mentioned in the same guide, but you should be able to find plenty of guides and videos for each thing separately.  As far as using your EEPROM reader goes, from what I understand, you only need to be able to power the motherboard, so I think that as long as your Xbox can turn on (even if it's not turning on correctly), the EEPROM reader should work without needing to apply external power.

dekadeka

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 09:37:00 PM »

QUOTE(AZImmortal @ Nov 4 2012, 02:31 AM) View Post

What you need to do is:

1) Unlock the 120gb hard drive with XboxHDM.  This is usually done with the EEPROM/key that the hard drive is currently locked to, but as I mentioned earlier, you might be able to use one of the master passwords and save yourself the hassle of needing to use your EEPROM reader.
2) Lock the 120gb hard drive to the new Xbox's EEPROM with XboxHDM.  This is basically the last step of whatever XboxHDM guide you might be following.  You won't need to do all the other stuff like populating the hard drive.

These are two separate things that might not necessarily be mentioned in the same guide, but you should be able to find plenty of guides and videos for each thing separately.  As far as using your EEPROM reader goes, from what I understand, you only need to be able to power the motherboard, so I think that as long as your Xbox can turn on (even if it's not turning on correctly), the EEPROM reader should work without needing to apply external power.

Tried the dead xbox that turns on and ponyprog just gives me a hardware error

EDIT : My v 1.0 xbox has the same error on ponyprog so not sure if its my serial port the reader or something else.

Error -14

AZImmortal

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 02:07:00 AM »

I've never used an EEPROM reader so someone else will need to help you there.  You should try the master passwords first if you haven't already tried them.