xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Help Reading Eeprom  (Read 149 times)

kazuki88

• Archived User
Help Reading Eeprom
« on: February 02, 2020, 05:02:00 PM »

My xbox's hard drive died right after ordering splinter cell to softmod. Error 07, clicking noise, and my pc doesn't even recognize it when connected.

Some people said I needed an eeprom reader, so I ended up buying this xbox eeprom reader on ebay, but it was a 9pin female serial connector and none of my computers can connect to it, so I also bought this usb-to-male9pin cable. Everything seems to connect fine. My pc recognizes the cable, ponyprog says the probe tests ok, pretty sure I've got the pins right, etc.

However, I am unable to get the reader to read my xbox's eeprom. When I try to read I keep getting "Hardware error, is the board properly connected? (-14)" and sometimes "Bus busy or hardware error (-11)."

If it matters, I'm pretty sure it's a version 1.6 xbox (there are xcalibur, xcylops, and samsung chips on the motherboard).

I've read posts about the eeprom reader causing the xbox to show an orange light or power off when it reads, but my xbox just acts like "normal" and shows the error 07 screen.

I honestly have no idea what to do. I just wanted to replace the hard drive/dashboard to run emulators and stuff, but this is turning out to be such a gigantic pain in the ass. =\

shambles1980

• Recovered User
Help Reading Eeprom
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 05:52:00 PM »

not sure if your com port fix will work..
i have a old system i use for this sort of stuff..
just an ancient amd system with com port.  so i always read eeproms with that. "i tell  a lie it actually upgraded it to a p4 recently but same diference"
its also what i would use for making xboxhdm disk builds. and i have it set up with hddregenerator for testing new drives i buy.

so basically..

make sure the blue pin is on the left pin 14 i think that would be.
Also make sure you have good contact between the pins and the lpc holes.

turn on the xbox and it will start to flash amber and reboot like a frag..
i hit read when it powers on for the second time in that sequence. it usualy gets the info before it powers down for the 3rd restart..

you can probably wait for it to stay on. but i always read them on the second restart.. but technically you just need power to the eeprom to read it so you really should be able to wait for it to stay on..

Ponyprog its self needs to be configured 1st though..
so make sure you configure that corectly before you start.

but asi i said.. its probably the com port thingy you have..
you should look on your mother board lots of them actualy have a pin header for a real com port to be attached.. you can just buy the com port and plug it directly in to your pc's mother board..

if your not getting orange/amver light when you power on with the eeprom connected to the lpc. Then you may not be getting good connection to the lpc its self... try holding it on the lpc so you know its contacting well.

This post has been edited by shambles1980: Yesterday, 01:56 AM

ldotsfan

• Archived User
Help Reading Eeprom
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 07:02:00 AM »

Most usb-serial adapters only implement RXD and TXD to save cost but for the eeprom reader, you need DSR, RTS, CTS and DTR.

That's one of the motivations for my new design for eeprom reader but it's WIP.

kazuki88

• Archived User
Help Reading Eeprom
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 09:54:00 AM »

Ah alright, thanks. I guess I'll just give up for now then.

shambles1980

• Recovered User
Help Reading Eeprom
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 02:19:00 PM »

if you want a chip installed i can do that for you. or if you just want the eeprom read i can do that for you too..
I can even install a hard disk and install a mod chip for you if you wanted.

if interested send me a pm. (or just reply here i guess)
Im in the UK
I assume you are also given the ebay link you added.

This post has been edited by shambles1980: Yesterday, 10:19 PM