xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Flash Bios To Remove Dvd Drive  (Read 386 times)

forget2rememb3r

• Archived User
Flash Bios To Remove Dvd Drive
« on: June 19, 2012, 09:09:00 PM »

I have 8 Original Xboxes:

2 with DuoX2 modchips
6 Softmodded

All have nonstock hard drives.

My question, can I alter either of these, hard modded / soft modded xbox(s) to skip the DVD drive check? Only 2 of my 8 drives work, I no longer need to shuffle them because they are all setup with harddrive content.

If not, what are my options? I see ModChipCentral has XeCuter 2.6 CE with a programmer in stock.  If I could use this, could I just use 1 programmer and program all the chips?

Thanks guys!

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 05:14:00 AM »

Softmodded Xboxes have to have the DVD drive present. It doesn't have to work (i.e. it doesn't have to be able to read discs), but the PCB has to be functioning so that the BIOS sees a "working" DVD drive.

For the chipped Xboxes you just create a BIOS that skips the DVD check using the editor for your chosen BIOS, then flash it to your chip. If the Xbox is booting then you don't need an external programmer, you can flash from the Xbox using Evox or one of the Raincoat flashers.

forget2rememb3r

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 06:32:00 AM »

Thank you for the reply!

As for doing this, I was reading on team-xecuter's site about you can flash over network, hard drive or disc.  Being new to flashing the BIOS, I'm trying to search for Duo X2 BIOS, How to Flash Duo X2 BIOS, but I get forum discussions about it, but no solid tutorial that I could follow.  I'm trying to do my part of the research but not having some difficulty.  Here is a thread that I think answers my questions, but don't quite understand. This thread seems helpful too.

Not to have my hand held, but could you tell me if there is a premade BIOS in the usual places that skips the DVD drive check? If so, what's the name?  If not, how can I go about making it or do I not have access to that kind of thing?  I installed these modchips FOREVER ago, and I recall them having the switch for two BIOS so I'm not sure if you can overwrite either one, or both, or what's recommended.  I'm also reading about not putting X3 BIOS on an X2.  Another modchip supplier has DuoX 3's in stock and wouldn't object to picking up a few for my other Xboxes.  

As far as I understand, download the BIOS, rename it to bios.bin, put in C:/BIOS and load it through FlashBIOS.  It seems very straightforward unless I'm getting the wrong picture.

Thanks  again!

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 06:42:00 AM »

DuoX3 is a fake, 256kB only. Caveat emptor.

You are right, X3 BIOSes only run on X3 chips, and will brick other chips or TSOP flashed boxes.

If your chipped Xboxes are booting to a dash then you can flash a new BIOS from your dashboard by running Evox as an application. You can also use FlashBIOS if one of the banks on your chip contains FlashBIOS.

I don't think there's a premade no DVD BIOS, but it's not complicated. For iND-BIOS.5003 and X2.5035 you edit the config file with a text editor. For Evox M8+ you use EvTool 1.09, for X2.4981 you use XBTool 1.0.23. All of the BIOSes and tools are available in the usual places.

forget2rememb3r

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 07:03:00 AM »

Thanks a ton Heimdall, I had just read about XBtool.  Is X2.5035 the recommended way to go? I've seen you suggest that in other threads as the latest.  Also is there a rule of thumb for size of BIOS? I keep seeing 1MB, 512kB, 256kB.  Does it vary version to version, chip to chip, or BIOS to BIOS?

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 07:09:00 AM »

Chips come in different sizes, as do BIOSes. The BIOS has to fit on the chip. The BIOS can be smaller than the chip, but it can't be larger. X3 BIOSes only work on X3 chips. There are different BIOS versions for 1.0-1.5 Xboxes, and for 1.6 Xboxes, and using the wrong one can brick your Xbox.

The DuoX2 has 2x512kB banks, so X2.5035 is the one to go for ...... so long as you are sure that your chip is a DuoX2. Make sure you use the right version for your Xbox - 1.0-1.5, or 1.6.

forget2rememb3r

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 07:18:00 AM »

I'm going to open it to make sure. I am 100% positive it is a blue DuoX 2 but I don't recall if it's a lite edition or what. Been years. I already found the tool to create .ini file for X2.5035 and already set up the .ini file.  Now where does this belong by default? With the .bin in C:/bios or the dashboard folder?  I'm trying to get the idea of how to do it. Seems as though I'll obtain the bios, put it in my C:\bios, run the evoX app, flash the bios, put my config .ini file to replace the existing one which will only have the DVD drive check changed, then viola, I can pull these whiny broken Thompson drives out of my chipped boxes?

Thanks for the reply!

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 07:25:00 AM »

QUOTE(forget2rememb3r @ Jun 20 2012, 02:18 PM) View Post
I already found the tool to create .ini file for X2.5035 and already set up the .ini file.
It's easier to do it manually. smile.gif

Now where does this belong by default? With the .bin in C:/bios or the dashboard folder
Neither. It goes at E:\x2config.ini

Seems as though I'll obtain the bios, put it in my C:\bios, run the evoX app, flash the bios
Not quite. The BIOS goes in the BIOS directory below the directory that Evox is in. If Evox is in the root of C then the BIOS goes in C:\BIOS\, but if Evox is in e.g. E:\Apps\Evox\ then the BIOS goes in E:\Apps\Evox\BIOS\

forget2rememb3r

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 07:45:00 AM »

I see now in the two .ini files all it did was change a 1 to 0 for "DO DVD DRIVE CHECK".  

I'll have to look around, I might have some really messed up dashboard. At one point, I had .xbe shortcuts to go straight to apps rather than dashboard, but I have XBMC as my 'dashboard' for each Xbox now.  Had this thing modded before Halo 2 so it's been running for close to ten years (this 1.0 box with the chip).  I'll have to browse the directories to see if it's bad.  I know I don't have EvoX as an app because my only option was Avalaunch and UnleashX.  Is it possible my dashboard is EvoX but shortcuts to XBMC (I remember seeing evoxdash.xbe in C)? I won't get to boot that sucker up until tomorrow as I am currently out of town.

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 08:02:00 AM »

QUOTE(forget2rememb3r @ Jun 20 2012, 02:45 PM) View Post
Is it possible my dashboard is EvoX but shortcuts to XBMC (I remember seeing evoxdash.xbe in C)?
No. If it were Evox then it would run Evox and you'd see the Evox dash on the screen. It's one of the shortcuts, simply renamed evoxdash.xbe.

shambles1980

• Recovered User
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 08:08:00 AM »

IND bios and m8+ bios both run just fine without a dvd player connected as a standard bios. "no editing needed"

i dont really use x2 bioses so i cant tell you.

Any way i usualy use hexen to flash bioses.
And im often running them without a dvd to test the hard disk functionality with apps installed whilst im repairing a sticky tray error on the dvd at the same time..
So yeah they work just fine no dvd without editing.

I edited a version of hexen to run from the hard disk so it can flash the bios without having to have a working dvd player. Its the exact same bios collection as on the dvd version..

"i recomend using the dvd version if you can, but i edited it to work from hard disk as it seemed a lot of work for a total noob to do"

if you do decided to get that, then i also uploaded a cfg file for it to blank out some of the options that really should not be used from the hard disk version.. "like build a new disk.. or anything that would format E"

you can google.
"Hexen For hard disk Drive not dvd" to find it

But like i said..
I would reccomend the actual DVD version.. But the hard disk version is there as an option.

forget2rememb3r

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 08:09:00 AM »

Ok, I remember now, I remember >_<.  It's all coming back.  

Would you recommend me (for safe keeping since I haven't updated anything in probably 5 years) to download the latest EvoX and put it as an app in my E:\Apps folder and add the bios in the E:\Apps\EvoX\BIOS folder and run it that way?

Also, while looking for suppliers, I came across this.  If I'm looking to get rid of more DVD drives, would you suggest this DuoX 2 (GS?)?

Thanks for the reply!

shambles1980

• Recovered User
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 08:27:00 AM »

Litspliff sells duox2's
i have bought a few from him and all work well.
he dosent have many left now though "i dont think so any way"

he is still probably cheaper than that web site.

xboxmods2977

• Recovered User
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 06:36:00 PM »

FYI, You can flash the on-board TSOP (the chip on the motherboard that holds the stock M$ bios) of any v1.0-v1.5 consoles you have that are softmodded, allowing "no DVD-Rom" in those as well. No need to buy modchips.

forget2rememb3r

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 09:11:00 PM »

QUOTE(xboxmods2977 @ Jun 20 2012, 06:36 PM) View Post

FYI, You can flash the on-board TSOP (the chip on the motherboard that holds the stock M$ bios) of any v1.0-v1.5 consoles you have that are softmodded, allowing "no DVD-Rom" in those as well. No need to buy modchips.

Care to elaborate and/or link a tutorial? That'd be pretty cool!  Thanks for replying!
Pages: [1] 2