xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 2 Tb Hardrive  (Read 156 times)

toocko

• Archived User
2 Tb Hardrive
« on: September 23, 2010, 11:15:00 PM »

I want to install a 2tb hard drive on my softmodded xbox,but am a bit confused. I saw in another post where an adapter is needed. I get that,but it stated to use ndure 3.1/ XBHDM 1.9 . I have put a 500gb harddrive on another box,and wanted to see if I can just use that same route or since it is such a big drive,do I have to use the route mentioned. I softmodded the box with SID installer. If I had to use Ndure3.1, do I need to overwrite my other soft mod or since it is a new drive this automatically soft mods the drive and actually allows you to build a new drive. Also it states to use xpartioner. What folder do I need to transfer them to on the xbox? Does it matter? Never have used xpartioner before. Lastly it states to use the c: folder from slayers cd. What is a slayers cd? Last time I did the hard drive upgrade I just transfered the c: e: folder off my xbox original hard drive,can't I do that again?  Any help in sorting this out would be appreciated.

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
2 Tb Hardrive
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 03:20:00 AM »

You haven't mentioned what method you used previously, or where the "new" method can be found written - so it's pretty hard to compare them.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

There's lots of ways to upgrade, but I would recommend upgrading your softmod (SID 3.0 is indeed quite old), or even switching to a hardmod setup.

XBPartitioner must be used to format any partition larger then 256gb, in order to set the correct cluster size. If you don't do this, then the file index will eventually overflow... resulting in bulk data deletion.

That 500gb drive you setup previously WILL have a partition in the danger range, so you'll need to backup everything on it and format it properly. At the very least, make sure the cluster size is correct before any further data is added to it (should be a cluster size of 32kb for a partition between 256gb/512gb). lpartx can be used to quickly check cluster sizes, though remember to backup the contents of F (and G, if you've got it) before attempting any actual formatting.

XBPartitioner can run from just about anywhere you wanna put it. E is probably your best bet.

toocko

• Archived User
2 Tb Hardrive
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 07:24:00 AM »

How can I upgrade to new soft mod if an old mod is on the box? If you look in the post "best sata adapter" in the hardware section. There is where nothingupmysleeve has answered some of my questions. He also mentions using C: from salyers cd,not sure what he meant by this.  I did get ndure 3.1, but not sure what exactly to do with this. I did read a file that came with it and states something about pc based files????????? Is this a way to mod a box via pc?????? What files need to be installed??? The way I did my previous hard drive was by creating a boot disk via Xboxhdm v1.9 and used the C and E folders, from the xbox I was upgrading.  As you can see I am not very knowledgeable on this matter. Thanks again for any help.

xboxmods2977

• Recovered User
2 Tb Hardrive
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 04:01:00 PM »

QUOTE(toocko @ Sep 24 2010, 03:24 PM) *

How can I upgrade to new soft mod if an old mod is on the box?

Assuming you have an exploitable game such as Splinter Cell, Bond: Agent Under Fire, or Mechassault, here is how.

First obtain a new game save exploit, SID 5 for this walk through (I believe was the last one). FTP into your xbox and transfer the save, to your E:\UDATA folder.

Obtain an ISO of Auto-installer Deluxe 4.5.2 (forget about slayers) and burn it. Put the disc in your xbox, turn it off, and then start it up, booting to the installer disc.

Using the file manager, browse to the C: drive on your xbox and delete everything there. Then, browsing the D: Drive (DVD), go to D:\FILES\DASH\. Copy the file MS-C.zip from the DVD to your Xbox C: Drive. Once it has been copied, highlight the file (In C, not D) and hit "A" button. This will open the zip and show the files inside. Click the "White" button, and select "extract all files". When this is finished, you will have a completely stock MS dash and your old softmod will be gone. Eject the installer disc, and reboot. Verify that your xbox boot fine, insert your exploit game, and install your new softmod.

From here you can move on to "Cloning an Xbox HD".

This post has been edited by xboxmods2977: Sep 24 2010, 11:05 PM

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
2 Tb Hardrive
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 05:28:00 PM »

You could also try hunting down a disc image for HeXEN or CASH - these have softmod replacement features.

toocko

• Archived User
2 Tb Hardrive
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 09:39:00 PM »

So SID5 and Ndure 3.1 do not do the same thing? Or are they one in the same?  While I wait to see if you reply, I will go ahead and update as above. Thanks so much.

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
2 Tb Hardrive
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 02:59:00 AM »

NDure is a softmod. SID5 installs it, as does Krazie's NDure Installer, and Kingroach's NDure Installer. There are some differences in how the installers set things up, and if you want to use one of the game-save based methods (SID5 or Krazie's), Krazie's is generally recommended as being more "fool proof".

(Kingroach's installer is the one usually used via XBoxHDM. Krazie's is a gamesave exploit setup, same as SID. Older versions of SID may not use NDure, but rather they install different softmods).

Heimdall

• Archived User
2 Tb Hardrive
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 03:14:00 AM »

NDURE is the exploit, the thing that gives you control of the Xbox every time it boots. SID 5 and Kingroach NDURE 3.1 install softmods that use the NDURE exploit. They do similar things, but in slightly different ways. The other difference between them is that SID 5 is a gamesave exploit, while Kingroach NDURE 3.1 is installed via hotswapping, or via FTP to upgrade an already softmodded Xbox.

Krayzie 1.1.1 is also a gamesave installer that installs an NDURE based softmod. The main difference between Krayzie 1.1.1 and SID 5 is that SID 5 gives you lots of options, whereas Krayzie assumes much less knowledge and is much more noob friendly. You'll generally get more support on Xbox Scene for Krayzie and Kingroach softmods because they are both members here.

HeXEn automates the process that xboxmods2977 described. If you want to use it to update your softmod, just Google HeXEn 0.99B11-22. Extract the ISO (the password is Heimdall01), burn it to DVD-R with DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0, boot with it in the DVD drive. The LED will turn red, 40 seconds later the menu will appear. It comes with on-screen instructions which you should read, but in brief you need option 2.2.x, where x is a number from 2 to 7 depending on which exploitable game (if any) you have, and what region you are in.

toocko

• Archived User
2 Tb Hardrive
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »

Thanks for the help. got hexen and made iso and appears that the update was sucessfull. So is it safe to say I have installed the latest softmod? Still little uncertain of what it actually installed. So what is happening in post http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=619849 is actually the same thing I did but going a different route to accomplish it?

Heimdall

• Archived User
2 Tb Hardrive
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 03:46:00 AM »

Yes, you've installed the latest softmod, either Kingroach 3.1 or Krayzie 1.1.1 depending on which option you selected. You've also got the latest version of UnleashX (Krayzie's installer on its own uses a slightly older version).

toocko

• Archived User
2 Tb Hardrive
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 03:50:00 PM »

Great, thanks so much. Just waiting to receive my hard drive and adapter to get started. Hopefully all goes as planned.  But I think I  might need help in the partitioning part. What is divided, the space left on f and G? How do I check waht space needs to be partitioned or does xpartitioner check to see what space is left and asks how you want it partitioned?

Heimdall

• Archived User
2 Tb Hardrive
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 03:54:00 PM »

XBPartitioner 1.1 (it has to be that version, or a later one) will format C and E if you want it to, but its standard mode of operation is to sort out E and F. See this post for brief instructions.