xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Trouble With Ftp Over Crossover Cable  (Read 17 times)

matts22

• Archived User
Trouble With Ftp Over Crossover Cable
« on: February 16, 2008, 10:18:00 PM »

My DVD drive won't work, so I'm trying to FTP a dashboard via a crossover cable and I'm having trouble. This is really weird, because FlashFXP will say it is connected but not show files, and if I do it through Internet Explorer it will connect and show the drives but nothing else.

Here is how I have it setup:

Computer connected to wireless network, and that connection is bridged to LAN, and the computer is connected to the XBox via a cross over cable.

I have tried setting the computers IP the same and different from the xbox. I've tried setting gateway IP the same as static IP. I've tried gateway IP blank. Basically, everything I can think of.

The only way I can get it to somewhat work is if I set the computer's IP the same as the xbox. If I don't do this, when I ping the xbox IP (via command prompt), it times out.

By the way, I am doing all of this in the X3 3294 bios. I unlocked the hard drive in bios and disabled the firewall on my computer. And I enabled DHCP.

I have read that windows explorer will not work because of a problem in bios. So what am I supposed to use to transfer the files? I don't see how I can do it in internet explorer, and FlashFXP doesn't ever show the xbox drives or files (though it will say it is connected). I also tried filezilla and it said it was not connected.

I'm out of ideas. Anything I could do that might work? If you need more info, just let me know. I really want to get this taken care of.

Also, once I get to the point where I can see the xbox files, what files do I need to transfer to the xbox. I'm assuming I use C: on the xbox, and that I would transfer the evolutionx.xbe file. Is this the only file that I need to transfer for now to get the evolutionx dashboard up and running?

Thanks!

lordvader129

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 10:30:00 PM »

the IPs need to be different, but on the same subnet, gateway doesnt matter (thats just for internet access)

try these settings

PC:
IP 10.0.0.1
subnet 255.0.0.0

XBOX:
IP 10.0.0.2
subnet 255.0.0.0

i chose those IPs because its unlikely anything else on your home network it using the same range or subnet

matts22

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 11:18:00 PM »

I tried that and it didn't help. I could not ping the xbox IP and I could not connect in internet explorer or with a FTP program.

It also seems like I can't even get any communication with the xbox now, as it will not log in with the old IP in internet explorer like it was doing before (it was logging in but then not letting me do anything).

Any other suggestions?

1hotjob

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 11:33:00 PM »

Try disabling the wireless connection.

matts22

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 12:30:00 AM »

QUOTE(1hotjob @ Feb 17 2008, 12:33 AM) *

Try disabling the wireless connection.

Just tried that and it didn't help.

I don't understand...I was able to use this crossover connection to install my bios and now it doesn't work. If I try to ping the address of the xbox I get timed out. Somehow I was able to log in to the ftp of the xbox at one point, but I am unable to do that anymore. There has to be an issue with the connection, but I have no idea what could be going on.

Keep the ideas coming though, they are much appreciated!

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 01:45:00 AM »

Which dashboard is the X-Box using at the moment?

matts22

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 02:13:00 AM »

There is no dashboard installed right now (unless you count the Microsoft one). I am doing this all through the X3 3294 bios. Many others have done the same thing, so it should be working.

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 02:35:00 AM »

Ah, sorry, can't have been paying attention...

An autoinstaller disc (such as Slayers) might do the trick.

matts22

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 02:47:00 AM »

QUOTE(Bomb Bloke @ Feb 17 2008, 03:35 AM) *

Ah, sorry, can't have been paying attention...

An autoinstaller disc (such as Slayers) might do the trick.

My DVD drive doesn't work.

That being said, I just tried on another computer, and I think it is going to work (it at least lets me see the files on the xbox hard drives...who knows if I can transfer yet). If I download Slayer's iso file, can I just copy that to the C: directory and it will load on startup? Or do I need to copy the EvoX files themselves (without the Slayer file)? If that is the case, is the .xbe file the only one I need? Can I use another directory besides C: if I reset the boot options in bios?

Thanks!

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 04:49:00 AM »

Ok, ok, I'm a zombie today. Don't mind me.

Anyway! In theory you could extract the Slayers ISO, copy it onto your X-Box drive somewhere, and have your modchip boot it. But it'd be far, far easier to just download and install EvoX on it's own.

EvoX also has an INI file and a "skin" folder in addition to it's executable (the XBE). You'll need to copy those across as well.

(Keeping in mind that there are other dashboards out there - XBMC is my personal favourite, given it's ability to play just about any media type under the sun).

If you understand how to tweak the boot paths your BIOS uses, you can put the dashboard where ever you wish.

matts22

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 10:44:00 AM »

QUOTE(Bomb Bloke @ Feb 17 2008, 05:49 AM) *

Ok, ok, I'm a zombie today. Don't mind me.

Anyway! In theory you could extract the Slayers ISO, copy it onto your X-Box drive somewhere, and have your modchip boot it. But it'd be far, far easier to just download and install EvoX on it's own.

EvoX also has an INI file and a "skin" folder in addition to it's executable (the XBE). You'll need to copy those across as well.

(Keeping in mind that there are other dashboards out there - XBMC is my personal favourite, given it's ability to play just about any media type under the sun).

If you understand how to tweak the boot paths your BIOS uses, you can put the dashboard where ever you wish.

I downloaded XBMC but I can't figure out what files need to be transferred. Is there any way you could give me a short list or anything like you did for EvoX? The guides that I have read are really lacking. I've read all about compiling it and everything but it doesn't seem to work right. I've got Visual Studio .net 2003 on my computer so I can do that if needed, but if you can give me some directions or files to copy over to my xbox hard drive, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for all the help so far!

1hotjob

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 10:52:00 AM »

When you get the evox.xbe file to the Xbox, rename it evoxdash.xbe. That is what most chips will look for when booting. Make sure it is in the root of the C drive with the evox.ini file and the skin folder.

Like Bomb Bloke said, after you get comfortable with everything, you can have the Xbox boot from different locations or change it to where XBMC is the default dash.

matts22

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 12:42:00 PM »

Thanks for all the help!

Here's an update:

My other computer seems to connect to the xbox just fine. I don't know what the deal was with the other computer, but at least I've got it working now.

I found the Slayer 2.7 file and downloaded it. Then I used a program called UltraISO (which I use for other things already so I didn't have to download it). With this program, I can basically extract whatever files I want off of Slayer's disk.

I installed the EvolutionX dashboard and then XBMC as an application. I'll probably end up running XBMC as my dashboard eventually, but since I have things working, I don't want to mess anything up. I haven't tried to play any media through XBMC yet, but it seems to be working fine.

This is such an easy way to do things. I wish someone would have written a tutorial for me when I first started, that would have made it a lot easier! That being said, I couldn't have done it without your help, so thank you!

The only question I have now is whether or not the modified LG 8164 dvd drive from Divineo is a good option to replace my dvd drive. I'm sick of it not reading burnt media and I want to be able to continue to play xbox games on it. If there is another better choice out there, please let me know! Is Divineo's customer service any good? Because the place I ordered the X3 chip from was horrible!

Again, thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it!

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2008, 03:34:00 PM »

Note that XBMC is updated often, you might consider hunting down a more recent build...