xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20

Author Topic: USB-based NAND Reader  (Read 2542 times)

AfterTheInsanity

• Archived User
USB-based NAND Reader
« on: December 18, 2009, 11:34:00 AM »

ATTENTION: Today (12/02/2010), I received a flasher in the mail that had the 'To' sticker peeled off, and was returned to sender. Because I dont have the label, I dont know who's it was. Before tonight is done, I will have a small webpage up that will allow you to select whether or not you received your flasher, and this will let me track who has and hasn't received it, without having to make numerous edits.

---

---

Installation Diagram

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

After connecting, use the latest version of Nandpro to read the flash, and youre done!

Programming Software and Drivers

I have a zip file containing the latest firmware, bootloader, and firmware flashing tool hosted here. To upgrade the firmware (if a later version is released, or something like that):
- place the jumper across the 'Join to reflash' pins on the board
- download the flashing software I uploaded
- run the exe
- select the only one in the list from the drop down menu
- hit load hex file, and select the latest hex file
- click program device

Now you can remove the jumper and you will have a flasher updated to the latest version!

Also, Ive uploaded a set of drivers (found all over the forums, I take no credit for them) in which I have renamed how the driver shows up so that its easier to distinguish modes.

You will find the drivers here.

It will show up as "USB NAND Flasher (Flasher Mode)" and "USB NAND Flasher (Bootloader mode)", instead of "Lib-Win32 Device" or "Custom USB Device" respectively.

---

All credit goes to DarkstarTM for the original PIC 18F2455 design and for the software used in this reader. His original thread can be found here.

This reader is based off a PIC18F2455 and is likely the easiest to use (that Ive seen). It has seven wires, connected to the flasher via a removeable, polarized connector, which get soldered to the motherboard (no external resistors or diodes needed for the flasher - you still need the respective parts for the JTAG connections) and has a USB-B connector onboard, to allow easy connection to a computer with a USB A to B cable (basically a USB printer cable). It also includes a female programming header, incase you want to change the bootloader. This also provides access to 5v and GND, if you want to power the NAND from the flasher, instead of using the Xbox's PSU. Simpler designs exist using the LPT port, but if you're like me and your motherboard doesnt have one, this is one of few options, and the only pre-made flasher that Im aware of!

This is the original prototype, v1.0, populated:
IPB Image
IPB Image

** Do not attempt replicate the v1.0 board from what you see in the pictures. There are two major errors with the first revision - the usb's ground connection doesnt connect to the other grounds, and MCLR needs to be pulled high with a 10k resistor. They have been fixed in v2.0. There are also a few changes, such as the USB header being changed to an actual USB-B port.

--

Here are the latest board designs, which will be etched, assembled, and shipped to everyone who participated in the GB (more info a little ways down):

v2.3 Top Side:
IPB Image

v2.3 Bottom Side:
IPB Image

v2.3 Schematic:
IPB Image

--------

Thanks for all the interest guys! Im unbeliveably amazed by how much response Ive gotten from just postinng something Ive made.

If youre looking to buy one, and your name isnt on the list, unfortunately the group buy has been completed. I hope to run another group buy within a month or so, so keep your eyes open.

Here is the current list:

1. kacroet (X-S) PAID
2. kanknast (X-S) PAID
3. geep6 (X-S) - Kit
4. DeathGrind (X-S) PAID
5. firebuddie (X-S)
6. iacon22 (X-S) PAID
7. ericvct (X-S) PAID
8. bobasp1 (X-S) PAID
9. techman36 (X-S)
10. dokworm (X-S)
11. hcaa (X-S) PAID
12. brando56894 (X-S) PAID
13. rsd (X-S) - kit
14. NADGG106 (X-S) PAID
15. ddxcb (X-S) PAID
16. Perplexer (X-S) PAID
17. harleywastaken (X-S) PAID
18. moreniu (X-S) PAID
19. Greenvalor7 (X-S) PAID
20. s1lv1a9999 (X-S) - kit if assembly will take awhile PAID
21. rastaman108037 (X-S) PAID
22. Darth Soap (X-S) PAID
23. Benno094 (X-S) - kit PAID
24. eyric101 (X-S) PAID
25. MasterGouken (X-S) PAID
26. utar (X-S) PAID
27. marten.broadcloak (X-S) PAID
28. nemiers (X-S) PAID
29. matt186 (X-S) PAID
30. TRYMYZ (X-S) PAID
E1. FoxRacR17 (X-S) PAID
E2. JeffJ2 (X-S) PAID
E3. micl432 (X-S)

Anywho, Im almost ready to place the order; just lining up the connectors. This means I need moolah! All joking aside, I need the people on the GB list to send payment for the flashers. After all the calculations, Ive decided to charge $30 per board, $4 for shipping within Canada, $5 for shipping in the USA, and $7 anywhere else in the world (via lettermail - if you want it there faster or by courier, I can arrange that). If youve opted for a kit, subtract $5 from the total (the majority of my labour is going to go into etching the boards - I can solder the flasher together in 10 minutes or so, so I cant knock off that much for that labour).

All payments will be handled through PayPal. This way, if anything goes wrong, and I need to refund anyones money, all it takes is for me to hit the Refund button. If you have any doubts about sending money to me, consider the following: Im a Verified PayPal member, and I have plenty of feedback on many different forums; not to mention 100% eBay feedback (ID: jordan011sk). Ive also been around these forums for over five years now (wow! didnt realize how long its been). If anyone has a problem with or any doubts about sending me money, please send me a PM and we will work something out.

So, for anyone whos on the GB list, please send $30 + shipping (so $34 if you are in Canada, $35 if you are in the USA, and $37 for anywhere else in the world) to [email protected] . Yes, thats Canadian Dollars by the way - it didnt seem fair to me to charge you guys in USD since Im in Canada, so for anyone who lives somewhere with a better dollar than Canada, it will actually be cheaper for you.  Please, PLEASE, put "USB-Based NAND Flasher" in the subject line, your X-S username in the little message box thingy, and be sure to include your address so I know where to ship to. If I get a payment that doesnt follow this layout (the subject can be a little off, but still along those same lines) I will refund your payment. I dont want to have to figure out peoples usernames based off emails or names.

Finally, if payment is not received by 11:59PM on December 29th, you will be removed from the GB list as there are a few people looking to buy one that missed being on the list.

December 30th EDIT The list has been edited to show who I have received payment from, and those who havent paid have had hits put out on them had their names struck off the list. There are five people who havent paid, which is actually good, as Mouser shorted me three chips, so this means I dont have to refund any payments. There are two free spots on the list, so I will be going through posts and PMs figuring out who contacted me about being on the backup list first.

Martinchris23

• Archived User
USB-based NAND Reader
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 11:53:00 AM »

For others following this thread, I've posted a tutorial on how to flash the Olimex LPC-H2148 USB Header for NANDPro here: http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?act...63&t=699584

AfterTheInsanity

• Archived User
USB-based NAND Reader
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 11:57:00 AM »

I looked at picking up one of those, but found I could build something for much cheaper (and with a lot less headache it would seem, after reading the guides for those boards)

Martinchris23

• Archived User
USB-based NAND Reader
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 12:10:00 PM »

QUOTE(AfterTheInsanity @ Dec 18 2009, 06:57 PM) View Post

I looked at picking up one of those, but found I could build something for much cheaper (and with a lot less headache it would seem, after reading the guides for those boards)

Oops - sorry! Didn't mean to hijack your thread (thought I was replying to another one). Apologies  !

The 'headaches' came from trying to program it with a level shifter - my tutorial does it with a JTAG Wiggler clone and takes about 2 mins to do!

AfterTheInsanity

• Archived User
USB-based NAND Reader
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 12:42:00 PM »

No worries!

brando56894

• Archived User
USB-based NAND Reader
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 02:39:00 PM »

sounds pretty good to me! I might pick one up when I finally start the JTAG hack on my 360, im just waiting for my college semester to end.

AfterTheInsanity

• Archived User
USB-based NAND Reader
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 03:50:00 PM »

Wednesday was my last day, Im glad to have time to work on this kinda stuff again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This post has been edited by AfterTheInsanity: Dec 23 2009, 06:51 AM

arielzadi

• Archived User
USB-based NAND Reader
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 04:18:00 PM »

nice
i think im gonna buy one myself

AfterTheInsanity

• Archived User
USB-based NAND Reader
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 05:31:00 PM »

If I can put together orders of multiples of 2 (2, 4, 6, etc) then I can fab the boards easier, so Id need that kind of order between anyone here, and on XboxHacker, as there seems to be some interest there aswell.

Right now, this is approx. what it costs me to make one:
PIC - $9
Resonator - $2
Wires (the coloured ones you see in my picture - can be swapped out for detachable ones, or a header - your choice) - $3
Misc Headers - $1.00
Misc Resistors - $0.50
For a total of $15.50 per board in parts.

Now, each PCB needs a board, and I prefer to etch PCBs instead of soldering wires or using veroboard:
PCB - $2.50 (1/8th of a $20 board)
For a running total of $18

And if I was doing it for someone else:
Labour (pcb etching, soldering, and programming) - ~$10
For a grand total of $28.

However, if you guys were willing to commit to buying them, I will look into pricing out the parts in higher quantities, which should be cheaper from somewhere like DigiKey, vs my local Electronics store.

arielzadi

• Archived User
USB-based NAND Reader
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 05:44:00 PM »

i wanna buy a preflashed one now

dryheat360

• Archived User
USB-based NAND Reader
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 06:05:00 PM »

So would I be able to use one of these right away, or do I need to get some type of software for it? I already have the nand reader for use with the 360, but is there anything else? If not, Id be interested in getting one from you.

AfterTheInsanity

• Archived User
USB-based NAND Reader
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 08:15:00 PM »

Youd use NandPro v2.0a. It would come pre-flashed with software, so you'd just have to plug it in and run the app.

Since there seems to be some interest, Im going to put a list together, so I can get an idea on the kind of numbers Id be looking at. Please reply and say youd like to be on the list, and Ill put you down for one. If I get a lot of people, I may require a small deposit (maybe $5 or so) so that I can get all the parts together, and make sure no one backs out.

Finally, would you guys want a female header, or just a female USB-B jack?

Anywho, here is my 'put me down for one' list. I require a minimum of two people, but I can handle any amount above that. As we are all off for Christmas holidays, I assume that a lot more people are going to be online, with free time, playing around with their xbox's. Therefore, Im going to leave this group-buy open for one week. It will close Christmas Day, and when it closes, I will inform everyone of the final cost (it may fluctuate based on the amount of people) and work out a deposit, if need be. If GB's arent allowed, or there is any issue with this, mods, please contact me, and Im sure we will be able to fix it.

AfterTheInsanity's USB-Based Xbox360 SPI Flasher

This post has been edited by AfterTheInsanity: Dec 19 2009, 04:16 AM

AfterTheInsanity

• Archived User
USB-based NAND Reader
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 09:39:00 PM »

Sorry to double-post, but I did a quick search through digikey and found that the price of the PIC chip drops from $7.14 to $4.68 if you buy 10 or more chips. This means if 10 or more people confirm, the programmer will likely cost closer to $20-25 rather than $30.

kanknast

• Archived User
USB-based NAND Reader
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 11:12:00 PM »

why would you use 2.0a instead of 2.0b?

AfterTheInsanity

• Archived User
USB-based NAND Reader
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 11:37:00 PM »

For some reason v2.0b didnt work with the flasher. I believe thats mentioned in the original thread somewhere.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20