xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Noisy Hardrive Fans  (Read 352 times)

stephenstashko

• Archived User
Noisy Hardrive Fans
« on: September 20, 2005, 01:46:00 AM »

I currently have a dual hdd modded version 1.0 xbox, with two quite noisy 12v 40mm fans cooling my hard drives. They are run in series of of the 12V power for the original Gpu fan one the heatsink.

Is there any bios that controls the GPU fan power/speed or am i going to have to do another physical mod to get quieter fans?

Could i just use a resistor to change the fans power from 12V to 6V to get quieter fans?

I am open to any suggestions, so feel free to through out Ideas, :beer:

Andy Holloway

• Archived User
Noisy Hardrive Fans
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 04:37:00 AM »

u can just use a resistor... not sure how big... are you sure u meant that u put them in series? cos then they would already be getting 6V each... and ive tried putting 2 40mm fans in series off 12V and its not enough power to start em spinning ;)

DeathStalks

• Archived User
Noisy Hardrive Fans
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 06:09:00 AM »

if ur xbox is modded can u just go to settings and go to override fan and turn it down..wen it starts heating up turn the fan back up...

Granulated

• Archived User
Noisy Hardrive Fans
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 09:57:00 AM »

QUOTE(DeathStalks @ Sep 20 2005, 08:13 AM)
if ur xbox is modded can u just go to settings and go to override fan and turn it down..wen it starts heating up turn the fan back up...

You don't know what you are talking about.  These two 40 mm fans cooling his harddrives are obviously not the stock fans.

Are you sure you have them running in series?  If you had them in series, each would be gettin 6v already, and if they were spinning, they would be spinning so quietly you would not be able to hear them.  Also, are these supposed to be 12v fans?  the 40mm I have are 5v.  That may be why they are so loud.  

stephenstashko

• Archived User
Noisy Hardrive Fans
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 06:32:00 PM »

Oh sorry, my mistake, yeah they are in parallel , forgot  basic circuits for a moment there.
Does anyone know the value of resistor to use? Would a 1/4 watt resistor cut it for the current that the 12V fan power kicks out?(12v for stock heatsinkfan)

or would i need something beefier?

MickRaider

• Archived User
Noisy Hardrive Fans
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 06:46:00 PM »

Just run them off of 7v.

stephenstashko

• Archived User
Noisy Hardrive Fans
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005, 08:18:00 PM »

I'd prefer to use the 12V power as stated  for neatness sake. Could i use a potentiometer to control fan speed?

Also should the fans blow onto or away from my drives? right now they run at about 40 degrees Celsius is that warm? (with fans blowing on drives)

FiReCrAcKeR

• Archived User
Noisy Hardrive Fans
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005, 08:26:00 PM »

blow away and that temp will come down i have a 40mm under my 200gig maxtor and my drive runs at 98.6 F so about 30 C i think.

MickRaider

• Archived User
Noisy Hardrive Fans
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2005, 10:47:00 PM »

QUOTE(stephenstashko @ Sep 20 2005, 10:22 PM)
I'd prefer to use the 12V power as stated  for neatness sake. Could i use a potentiometer to control fan speed?

Neatness? I don't follow, All you do is solder to the 5v line instead of the ground line. How is that not as neat?

A potentiometer might work but it won't be very "neat"