xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34

Author Topic: The Power Cord Conspiracy  (Read 3108 times)

G0t M4xx 21

• Archived User
The Power Cord Conspiracy
« on: February 22, 2005, 10:14:00 PM »

At first I commented in another thread, but I feel that this is important enough to deserve its own thread.

So, here's the deal. MS lied.

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the Xbox power cords. MS just had the recall to cover their butts (they had to do something, but recaling every 1.0/1.1 console would be way too expensive).

The real problem is the Foxlink power supply. There have been numerous reports of "loose power connectors" in xboxes, and the cause of this is that the solder joints on the PSU have actually broken where the connector mounts to the board, which can result in the xbox not powering on, or possibly even sparks, smoke, and fire.

this is a picture taken on one of MY OWN Foxlink 1.0/1.1 power supplies, and sure enough, the solder joints are broken. I checked another psu, they were broken too. So, although MS reports "about 1 in 10,000 failures", the problem is actually much more common, but usually has no results. The Foxlink PSU is a timebomb.

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/g0t_m4xx_21/foxlink-edited.jpg)

So, instead of taking the costly duty of recalling all older xboxes, what do they do? They give you a power cord with this huge GFI thing. This in no way will solve the problem, it is merely a bandaid. So, when your PSU sparks and shorts out, it just trips a switch instead of catching fire, but your xbox still doesn't work.

With the newer xboxes, you get a replacement power cord that doesnt look any different. Why? Because theres nothing wrong.

All of you with a 1.0 or 1.1, I would HIGHLY suggest checking to see if you have a foxlink PSU, and if you do, to resolder these 2 joints, a huge blob on em seems to fix the problem.

This was MS's uber-lame attempt at a coverup.

thesideinguy

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 11:10:00 PM »

QUOTE(G0t M4xx 21 @ Feb 22 2005, 08:20 PM)
All of you with a 1.0 or 1.1, I would HIGHLY suggest checking to see if you have a foxlink PSU, and if you do, to resolder these 2 joints, a huge blob on em seems to fix the problem.

not trying to dump on the entire thread because some good research was put in to this.
the only thing i have to say is "the bigger the blob the better the job?"
i think not.
a bigger blob of sloder is actualy weaker than the corect amount.
i am a professional and i solder on USN aircraft circuitry for a living.
this is what i do every day, and i am a master at it.
i would sugest another fix,  like some sort of non conducting bracket, or super glue or something.

This post has been edited by thesideinguy: Feb 23 2005, 07:12 AM

dIsEaSe

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 11:15:00 PM »

Or you could remove all the solder and completely resolder the two joints...

G0t M4xx 21

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2005, 11:16:00 PM »

Well, ok, not REALLY huge, but adding some solder to the joint helps, they really didnt use enough from the factory. (because the solder tabs stick up on top of the solder joint, instead of being in it.)

Thers a pic of the same PSU as above, after I fixed the joint.

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/g0t_m4xx_21/foxlink001.jpg)

This post has been edited by G0t M4xx 21: Feb 23 2005, 07:20 AM

grug

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2005, 11:25:00 PM »

Why is it that while us 1.0 and 1.1 owners are getting cords like this
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/JuggaloZeke/wtf1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/JuggaloZeke/wtf2.jpg
http://img210.exs.cx/img210/4093/dscf00010kq.jpg

Other people get normal cords such as
http://www.shaunewing.com/miscimages/xboxcord.jpg

If the "power cord recall" is just to stop the 1.0 and 1.1 PSUs from starting a fire (which I believe is the case.) why are newer machines getting replacemennt power cords?

Or have MS just used this one recall to fix problems with multiple Xbox versions?

dIsEaSe

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2005, 11:32:00 PM »

BTW, I have a 1.0 with a Foxlink, and I've had it since early Spring 2002, joints are fine with more-than-average unplugging and plugging in.

G0t M4xx 21

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2005, 11:04:00 PM »

I'm really not sure about the other versions.

It is only the 1.0/1.1 powersuppplies that have this design flaw, so that is why they get the rigged "xbox anti-fire" cord.

As for the others, they dont really need a new cord, and the replacements arent really any different. Supposedly, they just have a tighter fit in the plug, which could possibly prevent and arcing from the prongs of the PSU to the plug (and will also increace the stress on the solder joints on the PSU  tongue.gif )

FoxRacR17

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2005, 11:44:00 PM »

I have a 1.1 and they sent me the replacement cable that looks almost identical to the original.  I'm not sure what kind of psu i have in my 1.1, but i know that it is different from the one in my 1.0. I'll check later to see.

anjilslaire

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2005, 11:59:00 PM »

So,
Is there a no-solder fix for this on these psu's?
I'm all softmodded because I'm not into soldering. Not afraid to open her up and play a bit, I've replaced the hd, and such, but anyways?

Edit:
conductive ink, perhaps?

This post has been edited by anjilslaire: Feb 23 2005, 08:01 AM

lordvader129

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2005, 11:59:00 PM »

QUOTE(grug @ Feb 22 2005, 10:55 PM)
If the "power cord recall" is just to stop the 1.0 and 1.1 PSUs from starting a fire (which I believe is the case.) why are newer machines getting replacemennt power cords?

Or have MS just used this one recall to fix problems with multiple Xbox versions?

its just to stop the whiners who say "how come my friend with a 1.0 gets a new power cord and me and my 1.5 cant get anything free"

they just send the 1.2-1.6ers a regualr power cord

G0t M4xx 21

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2005, 12:04:00 AM »

actually i tried ordering one for one of my 1.4's (which i know has a delta PSU), and it said I didn't need one, and I tried to order another one for my other 1.4 (which had foxlink), and it said an order had already been placed with my serial. WTF? I never gave away my eeprom, oh well.

Hmm, digging around in my eeprom list on my comp, I ordered 2 more (it will only let me order 3). Yay!

So, it seems that all xboxes with a foxlink PSU get a new cord, but only the 1.0/1.1 foxlinks get the clunker, and all other 1.0/1.1 psu brands get a normal cord.

This post has been edited by G0t M4xx 21: Feb 23 2005, 08:12 AM

Trevante

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2005, 12:17:00 AM »

Yea, I don't think 1.6's get replacement power cords. I tried to get one and they said my Xbox was too new.

xman954

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2005, 12:37:00 AM »

Good call M4xx
it is a ARC FAULT INTERUPTER and there not cheap..
the best fix is to remove all the solder then wrap buss wire
around the posts and run it along the trace then solder it all...

grug

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2005, 02:45:00 AM »

QUOTE(lordvader129 @ Feb 23 2005, 06:29 AM)
its just to stop the whiners who say "how come my friend with a 1.0 gets a new power cord and me and my 1.5 cant get anything free"

they just send the 1.2-1.6ers a regualr power cord

Not true, my friend has a PAL 1.5 and was told he did not require one.

henno

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2005, 03:12:00 AM »

If you just solder them properly , with some good solder you won't have any more problems . i've been repairing these supplies for quite a while now . just get a cheap solder iron & some decent solder & you won't have any prob's . i'm glad some one else has found the same things that i've been seeing for ages. some of the other supplies have also the same problem with the socket, but not as bad . i think it depends on how often they are unplugged & plugged back in. if you hear it crackling when you plug it in .do something about it. mayby m.s will catch on! if they don't already know.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34