xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Questions  (Read 52 times)

_Zack_

• Archived User
Questions
« on: March 10, 2005, 09:29:00 AM »

OK I have a few noob questions, I figured I would post them here rather in the noob forum since this is a specialized for XBMC. Anyways, I've been reading up on XBMC and what all it can do etc. for a while now, and I had a few questions. I know that XBMC will work on a retail system without a chip. You can just soft mod it. Are there disadvantages to this? I really don't want to mess with chips right now, cause all I need right now is XBMC. But will of the features not work with a soft mod?

I also am assuming that the only way to get the XBMC to my xbox is through a FTP. Are there certain guides that tell what drive I should put it on, and what all is involved etc.?

Lastly, if I downloaded the .rar source code from XBMC, is that all I need to do? I have read some of the stuff XBMC has on their site, but I am not familiar with what compiling means, CVS, and python scrypting. Is that something I would have to do, or are those just extra features? So what I am trying to say is, can I just drop the source code in my Xbox and boom, it will run XBMC?

Again, I have no idea what I am doing with this, even after reading alot of guides because they all have alot of technical terms that I am not familiar with. So if someone could explain this stuff to me, that would be great!  :D

Talus

• Archived User
Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 09:37:00 AM »

I run XBMC on my softmodded XBOX.  All of the XBMC features work perfectly well (a softmodded xbox can basically do and run anything a chipped box can, except that you can't turn it on and off).  In fact, XBMC is the main reason I bought an xbox, let alone softmodded it.

I used MechAssault and Ltools 1.8 to do the softmod, then I FTP'd XBMC over to the E drive.

I later made XBMC my dashboard which was VERY easy to do.

You will need to either compile a copy of XBMC or acquire one.  FTPing source code over will get you nowhere.  The 'usual place' is a good place to start.  Information is provided there that you will find useful ;)

This post has been edited by Talus: Mar 10 2005, 05:38 PM

_Zack_

• Archived User
Questions
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 09:40:00 AM »

Oh ok, thanks for the help. I just downloaded:

XBMC 1.1.0 source code package (17/10-2004) (Codename: Evolva)

Thats from the XBMC site. I'm reading that I need MS Visual Studio and OpenXDK. I just run the source code in that will compile it for me? Is there any other coding I need? What do you mean by compile a copy? Also, people talk about updating their CVS once a week. What does this mean and why do people do it?

This post has been edited by _Zack_: Mar 10 2005, 05:45 PM

_Zack_

• Archived User
Questions
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 10:22:00 AM »

After reading up more on soft modding, I keep seeing "download this from 'the usual places'. Talus also made that statemet. Is this code for something? Or is it just an understood thing? Can someone tell me where the 'usual places' are? Or is that done over PM?

j_guzzler

• Archived User
Questions
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 10:48:00 AM »

Yes "download from the usual places" is code for, its against forum rules to actually tell someone where to get the compiled versions.  There are actuall usual places to get a comiled version of XBMC, google and find it, everyone else has.

When some one says they update there cvs everyday, well that simply means that they comile a new version of XBMC everday.  THings are added daily to improve, fix XBMC, its a work in progress, and will be until people start loosing interest...hopefully never....

here is the site for the log of changes made to the cvs of XBMC

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/xbmc...=1.555&view=log

The usual places contain a compiled version of the source code, but it doesnt get updated daily, so in some case it can be behind a couple weeks or a month.  If you want updated versiona all the time, then compile it, but I highly suggest you dont do that until you learn more about xbmc, get a recent version from the "usual places" and learn it, play with it, get it doing stuff you want.  then when you get more familiar with it, upgrade to newer versions.

But if you do want to comile your own, the tutorials are great, and yuyu's "autoinstaller" works great as well (read pineed topic)

Good luck, and its alot easier once you do it a couple of times.....

j_guzzler

Mr Nobody

• Archived User
Questions
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005, 11:53:00 AM »

QUOTE(_Zack_ @ Mar 10 2005, 12:22 PM)
After reading up more on soft modding, I keep seeing "download this from 'the usual places'. Talus also made that statemet. Is this code for something? Or is it just an understood thing? Can someone tell me where the 'usual places' are? Or is that done over PM?

It's like Fight Club.  You can't talk about it.  :)

Basically, distributing the compiled programs are illegal, but supplying the code is not.  So to keep things legal, there can't be any discussion as to where you can get the compiled programs.

total_ass

• Archived User
Questions
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 01:32:00 PM »

are you trying to get a softmod package off the usual places? (the usual places can be found out about by running a search on the forum) can i ask what package you are going to or attempting to install.

(btw jaydee, i know it is an xbmc forum, not a softmod forum, but i'd like to just make sure that he's using a decent exploit, there's a lot of crappy and potentially harmful guides floating around on the internet)

:beer:

Talus

• Archived User
Questions
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 01:49:00 PM »

Maybe http://www.how2xbox.com will help you out a little.