xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Using Python To Bring Caller Id To Xbmc  (Read 944 times)

matt11601

• Archived User
Using Python To Bring Caller Id To Xbmc
« on: December 08, 2004, 03:44:00 PM »

I've already posted this suggestion in the Python Forum at XBMC and I'm posting it here to try to gain support cuz i think this idea can be great:

I think it would be awesome if Caller ID support could be integrated into XBMC through python.....think about it, how many times have you been interrupted by the phone when watching a movie and don't wanna get up from your recliner?

A little popup box could come up (much like Xlink Kai) displaying the Caller ID information...and looking to the future, maybe even speak the information.

I found a project at SourceForge that does this on the PC already but it already has network integration so maybe someone can figure out how to bring that info to the XBOX since the information is already being broadcasted.  

Here's the app I was talking about that would run on a PC as a server grabbing the info from a modem, all XBMC would have to do is listen for it, or grab the info and display it (I'm assuming):

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ncid/
http://ncid.sourceforge.net/

I would have normally tested this software out before posting this topic but I won't be home till this weekend to try it and I wanted to gain support on this as soon as possible...btw, I have no programming skill what so ever, I'm just throwing the idea out cuz I think the whole XBMC community could benefit greatly.

I really hope people will back me up on this....I think it would really be a nice feature and hopefully Python can accomplish this, if not, maybe it could be considered as a feature suggestion for XBMC....what do you guys think?

Thanks

-Matt

EDIT: the above software package may not be the best choice....but I'll let developers make that decision, I'm still looking for other software options

EDIT 2: this package may be better:

http://www.aielli.info/en/software/callerid/   <--- Homepage
http://sourceforge.net/projects/calleridsuite/ <---- SF.net

Dromio

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 07:47:00 PM »

There is a program called YAC (Yet Another CallerID) which does this.  It runs on the PC, then you can run clients on other PCs, Tivo, and someone already wrote a primitive python script for xbmc.

It would be great if someone revisited the script and "prettied" it up a bit though  smile.gif

matt11601

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 09:17:00 PM »

Wow I had no idea this existed....thats great cuz now there is no need to get this project rolling, we just need someone to look at it and put some new life into it....thanks a lot...I'm going to post this at XBMC

is anyone here interested in this project since all we need now is for someone to look at the code?

SiMeCaIs

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 04:04:00 PM »

i know this isnt what you want, but check this out

http://www.twaathome...odel_OL3000.htm

Potato Bob

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2005, 05:24:00 PM »

I can try to add automatic diaologue closing, but i havent really tried to program in python, anyone wanna test it for me?

Prof

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 05:00:00 PM »

The yac.py script works fine but how do you make a script run automatically when XBMC boots?

Potato Bob

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2005, 09:22:00 PM »

the autorun script

rich-hard

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2005, 03:35:00 PM »

I "prettied" up the yac script...  the modified version has a more readable message that it displays, and it auto-closes after a set number of seconds (default is 5).

You can download it here:
http://members.rogers.com/farside/Scripts/yac2.zip

Kick In Da Door

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2005, 08:51:00 PM »

good look for yac2 scrtipt, after installing norton internet security 2005, xbox cannot recieve recieves from the yac program from the computer , do u know which ports i need to open or what do i do in the norton program to allow messagwes to go through xbmc. & i already gaver permissions for the yac program on pc to acess the internet but it still cant reach xbox

Kick In Da Door

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2005, 10:27:00 PM »

Please ignore my last post, i tried to edit it and it kept giving me errors. with ur new script im able to recieve messages from the ocmputer to the  xbox.

Can someone point me to where i can find out how to issue commands to my computer modem So i can enable caller id and recieve phone calls seems by default  they bother are off.

fendermb4

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2005, 05:25:00 PM »

I've put together a pair of scripts for YAC caller ID on the XBOX that I am calling PUID.  The listener is built partially off of the one by AlexPoet.

The listener script listens for the YAC broadcast, displays it, then logs it.

The GUI script gives you a nice GUI that allows you to view your call log to see what you've missed, etc, as well as clear out the log.  The time that the call was received is added to the log along with Caller name and number.

You can get them HERE

user posted image

rich-hard

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2005, 12:21:00 PM »

hey guys,

if you tried downloading my YAC2 script, you might have noticed that my ISP has decided to move my site, and not allow me to put up any kind of redirect.

In any case, it can now be found at:
http://ca.geocities....ripts/yac2.html

I also added the ability to close the window by pressing any button twice.  This allows you to continue what you were doing without having to wait for the dialog to autoclose

hns

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2005, 01:08:00 PM »

This works great.  

The only thing.....
I have no text in the popup window.
The popup comes and goes after the 5 seconds, but without name and number.
When I look in the logfile, name and number are written there.

Any idea

celinedrules

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2005, 01:10:00 PM »

QUOTE(hns @ Mar 16 2005, 10:38 AM)
This works great. 

The only thing.....
I have no text in the popup window.
The popup comes and goes after the 5 seconds, but without name and number.
When I look in the logfile, name and number are written there.

Any idea

How can it work great if there is no text? huh.gif

hns

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2005, 02:16:00 PM »

I have found it.
I have changed

self.callerid = xbmcgui.ControlLabel(448, 379, 151, 64, data, 'font13', '0x00000000')

in

self.callerid = xbmcgui.ControlLabel(448, 379, 151, 64, data, "font14", "FFB2D4F5")

So now I have white text. but it works even more great
Pages: [1] 2