xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Upgrading Xbmc From Previous Version  (Read 47 times)

x_newf_x

• Archived User
Upgrading Xbmc From Previous Version
« on: March 04, 2005, 06:04:00 PM »

Just got the March 04 release of XMBC and I was wondering how do I upgrade??

Is it is as simple as FTP'ing into my XBox and overwriteing the exisiting XMBC installation?

Or do I have to delete the XMBC tree on my Xbox first?

Thanks!!!

ravedrifter

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 08:15:00 PM »

just have to overwrite the old files, make sure the xboxmediacenter.xml is working!

mb3k

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 09:05:00 PM »

Gahh, I hope Ava updates its downloads.

dre74

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 10:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(x_newf_x @ Mar 5 2005, 02:04 AM)
Just got the March 04 release of XMBC and I was wondering how do I upgrade??

Is it is as simple as FTP'ing into my XBox and overwriteing the exisiting XMBC installation?

Or do I have to delete the XMBC tree on my Xbox first?

Thanks!!!

this was taken off of a tutorial from another site, can post website to give credit to.

Load to your Dashboard and connect to your FTP program. Navigate to this directory: "E:\UDATA". Locate and delete this directory: "0face008". Next, navigate to the "E:\TDATA" folder. Delete the same folder as before, "0face008", from the directory.

Next, navigate to your "Xbox Media Center" folder and delete it. Keep this window open for the next step.

*Note: Upon each upgrade, PLEASE delete ALL THREE folders before you upgrade to the new version of "Xbox Media Center". if you just overwrite the old   files, you more than likely will get errors, please do yourself a favor, do everything from scratch before uploading the new version to your Xbox. The IRC help channels will thank you for doing it and saving them some time too... ;-)*

Again I cant  post the website to give credit per this forums policy, hopefully no one will get upset for using their work.

x_newf_x

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 11:24:00 PM »

Thanks, I'll play it safe and delete all three directories :-)

I guees I have to save my Python directory and all scripts if I want to keep the KLM browser and such hey?

TexT

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2005, 12:07:00 AM »

yeah, i'm wondering the same thing..because once you overwrite your previous xbmc there goes all your scripts..hard work

Is there a easier way..like  transfer the default .xbe over..i mean it seems the other folder contents haven't changed so why  erase everything?

This is the one thing I dread about upgrading xbmc..getting all my scripts working again, which wasn't a easy task in the first place  :(

This post has been edited by TexT: Mar 5 2005, 08:14 AM

Articcat

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2005, 07:29:00 AM »

Also........

When up -grading XBMC version/build level you need to delete the "Xbox Media Center" save under memory in the original Xbox  dashboard and reboot, this will restore XBMC to itÂ’s default settings which is needed each time changing the build version.

[some say this is not necessary]

I always take the newest default.xbe [thats included in newer builds] and put that file into "C" drive and re-name to evoxdash.xbe [cause i use XBMC as my default booting dash]

coolh

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2005, 08:48:00 AM »

I hope chokemaniac will upload modified versions of the project mayhem skins to the cvs. Since I don't like the 'xbox media experience' skin, it does not have the quick exit and launch menu, found when clicking the right analog stick in the mayhem skins.

And shoulden't there be screensavers with this cvs release? or is this a modified cvs rel?  :blink: (screensaver competiton)

my bad, downloaded the wrong release  :boring:

This post has been edited by coolh: Mar 5 2005, 04:56 PM

coolh

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2005, 09:15:00 AM »

The 'screensavers.rar' does not have an sfv, the correct sfv with both rar files should look something like this. >

;     34943996  23:05.22 2005-02-04 xbmc-2005-03-04.rar + screensavers.rar
xbmc-2005-03-04.rar 3B5AA4E3
screensavers.rar 3EA8DA1D

:rolleyes:

nofx177

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2005, 10:09:00 AM »

QUOTE(dre74 @ Mar 5 2005, 05:21 AM)
this was taken off of a tutorial from another site, can post website to give credit to.

Load to your Dashboard and connect to your FTP program. Navigate to this directory: "E:\UDATA". Locate and delete this directory: "0face008". Next, navigate to the "E:\TDATA" folder. Delete the same folder as before, "0face008", from the directory.

Next, navigate to your "Xbox Media Center" folder and delete it. Keep this window open for the next step.

*Note: Upon each upgrade, PLEASE delete ALL THREE folders before you upgrade to the new version of "Xbox Media Center". if you just overwrite the old   files, you more than likely will get errors, please do yourself a favor, do everything from scratch before uploading the new version to your Xbox. The IRC help channels will thank you for doing it and saving them some time too... ;-)*

Again I cant  post the website to give credit per this forums policy, hopefully no one will get upset for using their work.

Are these the steps I would use if I use XBMC as my dash?  I see that Articcat says to change the default.xbe to evoxdash.xbe and put it in the "C" drive.  Is this the only extra step to take and where exactly in the "C" drive does the file go?

I appologize if I'm asking too many questions I just want to get it right the first time with no problems.

Thanks!