xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: What Is The Point Of Xna?  (Read 131 times)

Davek1013

• Archived User
What Is The Point Of Xna?
« on: December 08, 2006, 03:42:00 PM »

To me it seems like it all points to greed

(from Microsoft's XNA FAQ)
Q: How exactly can I share my 360 game to other 360 users? Will my game only be available to people with the XNA “Creators Club” subscription? Will it be available to all 360 users that have an Xbox Live account?
A: There is currently no supported way to share binaries on the Xbox 360. Currently, there are four requirements that must be met in order to share a game targeting Xbox 360 which is developed with XNA Game Studio Express.

The individual you are planning to share the game with must be logged in to Xbox Live and have an active subscription to the XNA Creators Club
The receiving user must have downloaded the XNA Framework runtime environment for the Xbox 360
The receiving user must have XNA Game Studio Express installed on their own development PC
The game project, including all source and content assets, must be shared with the receiving user. The receiving user then compiles and deploys the game to their Xbox 360.

Thats such a ripoff!!  Unless this changes soon microsoft will quite literally be making Mucho dinero off other peoples work! Assuming that some non-coders actually buy this.. O/w its Just coders making games for other coders? a Point please?

It sounds to me like it will be this way for awhile.. since the current XNA Devkit Beta release cant even interface with the 360 so they must be talking about the future?

This post has been edited by Davek1013: Dec 8 2006, 11:43 PM

sili

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 05:08:00 PM »

XNA is a framework for building games. Rather then spending 4 hours writing the code that outputs your stuff in DD 5.1, XNA has a function built in. There are things for outputting video/vector images to the screen, audio, controller, and all the other things that make creating a game a nightmare.

In short, XNA is intended to give developers the tools to make games, rather then humongous advanced programs that run games on top of themselves. It lets developers spend more time on making the game look good, and making the art assets rather then spending months reinventing the wheel.

Yes, for now only people with XNA will be able to run code, etc, but the point is obviously to allow more freedom in development and to streamline the process of making games in general...so of course for using the toolset and having ms handle sales and distribution will make them want to have a cut. Im sure sony would do the same

This isn't a greedy thing, this could actually turn out pretty damn good. We'll be supprised what we can figure out once we can start running our own code on the 360, even in a limited state with a hypervisor still watching.

Davek1013

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 12:18:00 PM »

Eh.. It seems to me like they want control of the Homebrew scene. They could easilly Keep all their security checks if they had some sort of marketplace-like feature.. You'd THINK they would have something at LEAST announced. Its like selling half a product

Whatever. I just hope it gets hacked!