xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Windows Media Connect  (Read 1192 times)

C o s m o

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« on: November 22, 2005, 01:02:00 PM »

I have WMC on my PC, 360 connected to PC via router (and i have used this router on LIVE before).  For some reason my 360 won't recognize the PC.  I plan on calling M$ to get this sorted out, but thought if someone else had the steps to fix this, they could post it here.  Otherwise I'll update after talking with M$ help.

Kaitou_Ace

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 02:06:00 PM »

sorry i don't have an answer for you.  what kind of router are you using?  i have a dlink 624+ and i have the same problem.  maybe it's a router issue?  let me know if you learn anything.  last i checked dlink was supported, so...

Kaitou_Ace

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 02:56:00 PM »

can't find the edit button.  anyway...

I had an issue with my router (dlink, supported by xbox live) that would not allow me to connect to my pc with Windows Media Connect, the program designed to allow streaming from XP of pics and music to the Xbox 360.  The 4MYXBOX people had no idea how to fix it, so I made up a way which is actually pretty simple.

If you are having trouble with your Xbox 360 and Windows XP connecting to stream files, connect your PC and 360 together with a hub (or switching hub), then run that to your router.  Make sure your hub is set to "uplink" mode.  That way, your systems can talk to each other through the hub, and can go online through the uplink to the router.

Hubs run about $20.  i bought mine in 1998 and it's still kicking.

Hope this helps if anyone runs into this issue.  I told the lady at 4MYXBOX what I did to fix it too.  This is a MacGuyver fix until we get a WMC update or they change the compatibility list.  Good luck.

C o s m o

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 02:56:00 PM »

My router is Zonet ($25 from newegg).  It works fine with LIVE and has not had any issues.  I think my first step will be to establish a direct connection and see where I can go from there.

moddingswede

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 03:23:00 PM »

do you have a firewall program running on your computer? if so, there are certain ports you need to open.

C o s m o

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 04:13:00 PM »

I'm sure I do have firewalling.  Standard SP2 firewall and the router has a firewall as well.  Any idea which ports?

MadEx

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 10:48:00 PM »

I have a wired network. Media connect installed, and on the PC it sees the Xbox 360 and the first stage of connecting the 360 sees the computer as SERVER 1. But after that it keeps failing. I don't have a software firewall and just connecting thru a router. Tried to open the first port on that list to no avail. Help is appreciated.

Found this on the MS page, didn't help me much tho. Still can't connect. Good luck everyone else.

4.4  My device cannot find my computer. What can I do?
If your digital media receiver cannot find your computer, verify that the Windows Media Connect network service is running by doing the following:

Log on to your computer as an administrator.
      Click Start, and then click Run.
      In the Run box, type services.msc.
      In Services, find Windows Media Connect (WMC), and then verify that the Status column indicates Started.
      If the service is stopped, right-click Windows Media Connect (WMC), and then click Start.

If you have verified that the service is running and you are still having a problem, your computer firewall might be preventing Windows Media Connect from working correctly.

If you are running Windows Media Connect 1.0, try upgrading to Windows Media Connect 2.0. To find out how to download the new version, see question 2.1. To determine which version of Windows Media Connect you are running, see question 1.8.

If you are running Windows Media Connect 2.0, Windows Firewall might be blocking your device from accessing your computer. You can use the Reset button to automatically open the ports that Windows Media Connect requires to share content.

In Windows, click Start, click All Programs, and then click Windows Media Connect.
      Click Settings, and then click Reset.
      Note   Clicking Reset opens the following Windows Firewall ports: 2869 TCP, 10243 TCP, 1900 UDP, 10280 UDP, 10281 UDP, 10282 UDP, 10283 UDP, and 10284 UDP. If you are using a firewall other than Windows Firewall, you may need to manually open these ports in that firewall.

xboxjojo

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2005, 01:01:00 AM »

I have a linksys BEFSX41 and am having the same problem.  Finds the netowork connection, finds IP but can't connect to media connect. I have a winxp sp2 pc.

Kaitou_Ace

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2005, 01:34:00 AM »

good luck finding a solution.  in the mean time i'm going to stick with the method i outlined above.  you might also want to try a switch.  you can pick one up at radio shack for like $10, but i'm not sure if it will work.  in network layer theory, it should...  but then in the same theory this shouldn't be a problem.

keep us posted.

-kaitou_ace

dracus

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2005, 09:56:00 PM »

Ok I have a solution. I am not sure why this worked but it did.

1. Set up the media connect program. In my case it identifed the xbox 360 but the xbox couldn't find the pc.

2. Don't waste your time calling m$.

3. Download and install this program. http://www.tversity.com/ I have no idea why this worked, but installed it and made one share(likely not neccessary). Then suddenly the xbox 360 can see the computer and all is good.  I suspect it has something to do with upnp.

One note I have not been able to get this to work with a wireless PC. But after installing tversity the wired worked where it wouldnt before.

You can uninstall tversity after you've installed it. Things still work. Hope this helps people.

Next I am going to see if tversity can allow steaming of avi since it does allow it, even though xbox doesn't.

Dracus

cgrumler

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2005, 03:50:00 PM »

I installed this program, but....

Everytime I click on the "Share Media" option, it tells me:

C:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt.  The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Windows applications.  Choose 'close' to terminate the application.

Then it gives me the option of either to close or ignore.  Clicking on either one will exit out of the command prompt, anyway.  Help!   sad.gif

Kaitou_Ace

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2005, 04:48:00 PM »

common problem.  usually the .nt file is not there.  all you need to do is download a new copy, which you can get online and put it where the .nt file is supposed to go.  let me know if this helps or if you need more help than that.

-kaitou_ace

JMan8108

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2005, 04:57:00 PM »

I run WMConnect through my wireless linksys network. Setup and ease of use was/is awesome.

vermilion

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2005, 06:12:00 PM »

Please don't shoot me if this has been said already, but I had the same problem. What I did was google Windows Media Connect. The first link that came up was one to M$ website that I used to download a different Windows Media Connect from the one found on the link that's given in the 360 dash.

cgrumler

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2005, 07:38:00 PM »

QUOTE(Kaitou_Ace @ Nov 26 2005, 12:19 AM) View Post

common problem.  usually the .nt file is not there.  all you need to do is download a new copy, which you can get online and put it where the .nt file is supposed to go.  let me know if this helps or if you need more help than that.

-kaitou_ace

Well, I found a new copy of the file, but the error message calls for  a "C:\Windows\System32" folder.  All that I actually SEE on my computer is "C:\Windows\System"   Any thoughts?
Pages: [1] 2