xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Unable To Install Games Onto Hard Drive  (Read 1091 times)

PenguinComrade

• Archived User
Unable To Install Games Onto Hard Drive
« on: September 12, 2009, 10:48:00 PM »

Well title says it all.

Earlier I was testing out my 360's since I'm selling a couple but I had a couple of them mixed up and I couldn't remember which one was my banned xbox 360. The only way I knew of to tell was by connecting to xbox live. So I attempted to connect to xbox live and it said that it was banned so I was like okay, this is my banned/modded xbox 360.

Long story short.

After attempting to connect to Xbox Live it seems I've been unable to install games onto my hard drive, regardless of what title or if retail or not on my banned xbox 360. It always says "installation of this game isn't supported". I'm like WTF? It was working just fine earlier today. I haven't screwed around with it at all. I can install games onto my HDD using the other LIVE Xbox 360's.

As for what happens when I install the game on my LIVE Xbox 360's and attempt playing it on the banned box from the HDD, it says that it can only be played on the same 360 it was installed from and I'd have to reinstall it and from there the process repeats itself where I'm just not able to install games onto the HDD or play them from the HDD on my banned box.

Anyone else have issues like this or am I the only one?
Perhaps someone with a banned 360 would like to try and recreate this problem...?

I'm not sure what to believe at this moment... or even do...

The banned Xbox 360 has been updated to the latest dashboard update since I swap around from my live Xbox 360 and my banned Xbox 360.

Things already tried:
Removing the HDD and attempting to install the game.
Result: "Installation of this game isn't supported."

Removing the Dashboard update

Removing and re-installing the Dashboard Update

Installing the game from my LIVE Xbox 360 and attempting to play from my HDD from my Banned Xbox 360
Result: Error message just saying that I'm unable to play the game from the HDD that was installed from another console and I'd have to re-install the game.

Will it blend?
Result: Doesn't fit in my blender.

majinsoftware

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 11:14:00 PM »

Is the hdd a orignal ms one or a hacked one, Also try to reformat it on the xbox you want to install games with.

PenguinComrade

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 10:09:00 AM »

QUOTE(majinsoftware @ Sep 12 2009, 10:14 PM) *

Is the hdd a orignal ms one or a hacked one, Also try to reformat it on the xbox you want to install games with.

It's the original HDD. I tried doing essentially the same thing with a memory card since I have far too many things to re-download on my 120gb HDD. Though luckily I remembered bout my brothers 120gb HDD which I shall use for the experiment since all of his stuff will fit on a 512 MB Memory Card.

Okay well since I can't edit my first post...

Formatted the HDD on the banned Xbox 360 and attempted to install several games both retail and backup
List of games: Too Human, Bully, Perfect Dark Zero, Call of Duty 4, Viking and that's it, I know they're all compatible.

Install DLC from Disc (Retail)
DLC Attempted: Fallout 3 Operation Anchorage and The Pitt
Result: Works

of course I wont know if it's some weird issue with my own console or if it's something that'll happen to everyone who has a banned Xbox 360 that attempts to connect to LIVE until someone else attempts it as well.

This post has been edited by PenguinComrade: Sep 13 2009, 05:26 PM

PenguinComrade

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 12:02:00 PM »

Well I guess no one seems to know what the issue is but I've tried everything I could think of to make it work. Well of course I most likely posted in the wrong section of the forums for this but didn't know where else to post it.

A t t i l a

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 03:16:00 PM »

Hi guys,

I have the same problem. I've already tried to format the HDD, but it hasn't solved the problem. And where did you download the update for the banned box? Maybe the offline (non-official) update has some problem. Anyway it's also strange that the last update is the 2008 Autumn update on the official xbox homepage.
Is there any easy way to remove the latest dashboard?

My friend mentioned something that may be the solution. I'll come back tomorrow if I had the details.

PenguinComrade

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 03:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(A t t i l a @ Sep 15 2009, 02:16 PM) View Post

Hi guys,

I have the same problem. I've already tried to format the HDD, but it hasn't solved the problem. And where did you download the update for the banned box? Maybe the offline (non-official) update has some problem. Anyway it's also strange that the last update is the 2008 Autumn update on the official xbox homepage.
Is there any easy way to remove the latest dashboard?

My friend mentioned something that may be the solution. I'll come back tomorrow if I had the details.

I got it off my LIVE 360, I have several 360's but only one is banned. So basically the update came off another 360. I've already tried removing the update off the Memory Card and HDD but that doesn't make a difference, it always stays the same and I'm still unable to install the games onto the HDD.

A t t i l a

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 01:33:00 PM »

Unfortunately we can't find the solution. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
When we put my HDD to my friend's non-banned box (with the latest dashboard update), it seemed to update the dash just because of my HDD. On my own xbox it doesn't still work to install game.
After all the only problem that I can imagine is the old firmware... I don't know exactly what version I have but I have to "downpatch" the disc image with ppf-o-matic.
This all is a mistery...

This post has been edited by A t t i l a: Sep 18 2009, 08:34 PM

PenguinComrade

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 01:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(A t t i l a @ Sep 18 2009, 12:33 PM) View Post

Unfortunately we can't find the solution. sad.gif
When we put my HDD to my friend's non-banned box (with the latest dashboard update), it seemed to update the dash just because of my HDD. On my own xbox it doesn't still work to install game.
After all the only problem that I can imagine is the old firmware... I don't know exactly what version I have but I have to "downpatch" the disc image with ppf-o-matic.
This all is a mistery...

I doubt it's 'cause of old Firmware. I can play the games just fine without installing them to the HDD but when I attempt to install it into the Hard Drive it just wont let me. This is with BOTH RETAIL and BACK UP games. I'm certain MS is just bricking the Xbox 360 like that but we wont know until someone decides to take the fall with their banned Xbox 360 that can install games and try to connect to Xbox Live then attempt to install the games again afterward.

sepherino

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 11:43:00 PM »

I've just run into this same problem.

But you should also note, if you try to move any games saves from the banned xbox now over to a live xbox - the data will show as corrupt.

In short - as it is now, whats played on the banned xbox, stays on the banned xbox.

Let me know if you find any way to get the ability back to store retail or burned games onto the hdd of your banned 360.

PenguinComrade

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 11:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(sepherino @ Sep 19 2009, 10:43 PM) View Post

I've just run into this same problem.

But you should also note, if you try to move any games saves from the banned xbox now over to a live xbox - the data will show as corrupt.

In short - as it is now, whats played on the banned xbox, stays on the banned xbox.

Let me know if you find any way to get the ability back to store retail or burned games onto the hdd of your banned 360.

Well I don't know bout the saved game thing. I've gotta try it out myself. I'm using the same hard drive for both my LIVE xbox 360 and BANNED Xbox 360. I'll test this out though to confirm it or deny it.

I think this a new situation and we're the firsts to possibly come across the problem. There doesn't seem to be any way to restore it as far as I know of at least any conventional ways.

PenguinComrade

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 12:14:00 AM »

QUOTE(sepherino @ Sep 19 2009, 10:43 PM) View Post

It is CONFIRMED!

Any and all games on your banned Xbox 360 will stay on it. If you do what I do and swap HDDs then your gamer profile will become corrupt along with any game data for any game that you played on it. At least any that has saved on that console otherwise you're fine.

Also if you try to move ANY saved data to a memory card it will say that the item you're trying to move can't be moved between devices. I'm not sure about alternate methods like using the connectivity kit and the likes.

So BEWARE...

I Suspect this is within the new Dashboard update but I am not certain or perhaps it's just the attempt to connect to LIVE with the NEW dashboard update that is causing this. I do not know for sure. Perhaps others can clarify on this but this all started when I attempted to Connect to Live on my Banned Xbox 360 with the newest Dashboard.

All I can is that I'm fairly certain Microsoft is starting to Brick Banned Xbox 360's in some sense..

PenguinComrade

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 12:48:00 AM »

Well I would love to just edit my previous post because I forgot some stuff but unfortunately I can't. Anyway I just wrote this up and wanted to add to my previous post..

I tested the theory out. What I did is test it out on Too Human using my HDD that I use on my LIVE Xbox 360, signed into some random old XBL profile, I went onto there and basically made a new character then just played a few minutes then I got an achievement on the profile. So from there I just quit Too Human and attempted to transfer the game save to a memory card and I KNOW it can be transferred and it just tells me that it can't be transferred between devices. I didn't attempt with profiles though, that's something I forgot to do.

Anyway, I said okay screw it so I just turned off the console and disconnected the HDD and reconnected it to my LIVE 360. So I just go about my normal business and as I look for the profile it's not there anymore. I go to Memory and it says that the profile is corrupt and I'm not able to sign into it without recovering my profile which would contain data from the last time I connected to Xbox Live so any achievements earned on a banned Xbox 360 won't be transferable from 360 to 360 it just becomes corrupt and lost data. I attempted to play Too Human on my LIVE 360 and tried again on the random profile, after recovering the profile, and as I got into Too Human main menu it said that my data is corrupt and can't be loaded and it would set everything back to the defaults.

So far what I know is that this all happened to me when I attempted to connect to LIVE on my BANNED xbox 360 with the newest update. I only knew that it wouldn't install games but I didn't know that the game data and profiles became corrupt after playing on the banned Xbox 360 until it was mentioned over here.

PenguinComrade

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 09:33:00 AM »

Forgot to mention one more thing, 2.0.8498.0 is the Dashboard version of both my LIVE 360 and BANNED 360 not sure bout anyone else.

bonannogiovanni

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 02:27:00 AM »

QUOTE(PenguinComrade @ Sep 20 2009, 05:33 PM) View Post

Forgot to mention one more thing, 2.0.8498.0 is the Dashboard version of both my LIVE 360 and BANNED 360 not sure bout anyone else.

Unfortunately I've got the same symptoms as you. Do you know if after the 9/23 dashboard update things have changed?

ToBbErT

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 06:07:00 AM »

Damn thats very bad news  dry.gif
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7