xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Connect Xbox360 With Windows Media Connect  (Read 99 times)

WeAzLeNET

• Archived User
Connect Xbox360 With Windows Media Connect
« on: February 23, 2006, 04:02:00 PM »

Dear All,

I had a very strange thing happening with my new Xbox 360 which I bought yesterday. Maybe this topic also helps you a little bit to get your Xbox 360 connected to your Windows Media Connect.

I wanted to connect my notebook via wireless (doesn't matter wireless or cabled) router to the Xbox 360. .Net Framework 1.1 ( http://www.MS.com/downloads/details...&DisplayLang=en ) was applied and I installed the Windows Media Center 2.0 from http://www.MS.com/downloads/details...&DisplayLang=en and XboxXPSP2-ENU.exe from http://www.xbox.com/en-US/pcsetup/alldownloads.htm which should normally give you the possibility to connect to Windows Media Connect with my Xbox 360.
My notebook was configured with static IP (e.g. 192.168.1.2), router had IP (e.g. 192.168.1.1) and I set the Xbox 360 with static IP (e.g. 192.168.1.3). I had necessary ports (UPnP Framework TCP 2869, UDP 1900, Windows Media Connect UDP 10280-10284, TCP 10243) shared in internal Windows Firewall (turned on) added as exceptios (done already automatically at installation point of software).

Connection was established during installation of Xbox 360 Media Setup (XboxXPSP2-ENU.exe) and Xbox was authorized which gave me the feeling that this was an easy network setup of Windows Media Connect. In Media Connect I could already see the Xbox 360 as allowed device and could read its properties. Now  the last step to connect from my Xbox 360 to my shared folders of my notebook seemed to be a second away.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/jester.gif)

So I tried first to Test Media Connection from Network Settings dashboard menu and check connectivity. Network Adapter test Wired was fine and also the IP Address check confirmed successfully except my Computer check failed. Hmmm,.... tried to establish a connection via Media and Music and Computer test but it failed to and always navigated me back to the Network check menu point. I thought I may have to enter the ports at the router,... didn't help... I tried also to connect the Xbox 360 directly to my notebook via cable and failed, too. Disabled my internal Windows Firewall, test failed, too,....of course... I thought maybe something else is blocking here (although I saw the Xbox 360 already in the Media Connect software and could read its properties). I was browsing the internet and found nothing about this error.

So I tried to do some testing with Xbox Live were I got a successful connection with the Connection Settings test and I had the information to download an update. "Ok, let's do that,... should work..." No, of course not. The update wanted to start to download and at the same moment I got error, download failed.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grr.gif)  Damn, I was so frustrated that I called the Xbox360 support today and explained them what I have done and how to solve it. Helpful for the update was the hint of the ports TCP and UDP 3047, and UDP 88 for the router to get the Xbox Live update from the internet. It was working fine. But still my network connection to the PC didn't work. So at the end they asked their second level support after one hours of reinstalling .Net Framework, Media Connect and Xbox 360 Media Setup and trying everything again together with support they told me that I should call Windows XP support hotline...  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/uhh.gif) (Damn, are they crazy, I definetly not gonna call them for this issue,... I was already feeling bad and frustrated to call any support!!)...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/uhh.gif) Thinking deeper I got in my mind that I had in the past problems with software working at domain comuters. I simply logged of my domain membership notebook, logged in with a local computer account (domain account was also admin, so no problem of rights) and tried to connect again... It worked suddenly and I could see my folders on the Xbox 360.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

What a damn problem which took me 3 hours of investigation!  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)  After enabling again Firewall and disabling all shared ports on the router and connecting via wireless router everything was still working fine. The direct connection of Xbox 360 to the notebook was only for problem checking. In the end, you do NOT need to open any ports at the router except you want to use Xbox Live (UDP 88, TCP and UDP 3074), and you can leave your internal Windows Firewall turned on.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

I hope my long (sorry for that, I was so frustrated) explanation helps you to connect to your pc and stream media. Maybe this can also help you when you have a pc which is member of a domain. Only logon with a local account not a domain account. And ... don't even think about sending your Xbox 360 back to repair because support tells you that it is not working!

...so, now I will play the first time on my new Xbox 360, and next time I will not try to test all features at first.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)  Maybe I can also help debugging a little bit in this forum.

KR,
WeAzLe  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

WeAzLeNET

• Archived User
Connect Xbox360 With Windows Media Connect
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 06:31:00 PM »

grr.gif  . . . having tested now my new Xbox 360 and I really feel pissed from features point of view.

How can they sell Xbox 360 with this baaad software and accessories? My first thought when buying the Xbox 360 was that you can not only stream media from PC or removable devices. I was thinking you can also use the 20Gb HDD to copy your MP3 files to it and store pictures on it. It is only possible to put audio cds in and get them into wma file changed. Then they will be stored on the HDD.

Due to legal rights it is forbidden to store/copy MP3 files to the HDD. How can they let you pay 400 Eur for a console with media support which does not even support forwarding in the audio player only next song! Not to forget the bad other things like:

The noise is definetly loud when playing a game, price is too high, the power adapter is like a big stone, the video cable gives you a blury picture, removable device support does not support devices with two partitions only the first will be read, no FTP support, bad documentation delivered (need to go online), no game with Xbox premium, only one controller, bad housing (too soft), no charger for batteries of wireless controller . . .

All these points let me give back the Xbox 360 although I as happy playing a game with the console. But compared to the price which you pay (510 Eur incl. extra wireless controller and NFS Most Wanted) and what you get from the features (loool, that is a whole mess what they have programmed) make me buy the normal Xbox where I can put a modchip in and have all features which I expect to have from a device where I only have to pay 1/3 of the price and have 300Gb of HDD which can store all kinds of media.

Maybe I will change my mind when the scene has hacked the Xbox 360 and comes up with the same as for the Xbox...  tongue.gif

WeAzLe