xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: FreeStyle Dash v2.0 RC 1.8  (Read 502 times)

tk_saturn

• Archived User
FreeStyle Dash v2.0 RC 1.8
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 01:13:00 PM »

A BNIB Falcon should be fine, and you can pick up BNIB Falcon for £200-235 depending on the SKU. The main cause of all the GPU issues seems to be due the expansion and contraction of metal from changes in heat, and because of the small GPU heatsink those temperature changes will be very rapid.

People go on about reballing and how leaded solder fixes it, but the CPU has lead free solder and how often does that need reballing? You see plenty of consoles fail even after a reball, and you get a far few GPU or ED-Ram failures too.

Get a BNIB Falcon/ Jasper and instead of changing the fan speeds instead change the temps the console aims for. Keep it below 60C throughout it's lifespan and it should be fine as it will limit the amount contraction/expansion. Unless you set 80%+, it's a bad idea to set a fixed fan speed. I wouldn't even set a Jasper at 60% let alone a RROD friendly Xenon.

On a FSD note, i've not had any duplicate issues for the last few releases. Thanks to Samba making it easy to manage, I have it scaning 6 different directories for GODs/ XBLA without issue and that's with over 1TB of content. Although I do delete the game data between releases....

radoman

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 01:39:00 PM »

Why wouldnt you set a constant fan speed on a jasper? My jasper has been set at 60-70% since the day I got it. The gpu/ram/cpu temps have never been higher than 50c. So (touching wood) will never rrod on me.  I have messed around with the target temp settings but I found the sound of the fans stepping up and down distracting. Its funny how high the temp threshold is set as stock though, you never seem to see a stock console speed up its fans no matter how warm it gets.

tk_saturn

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2011, 01:51:00 PM »

QUOTE(radoman @ Mar 9 2011, 08:39 PM) View Post

The gpu/ram/cpu temps have never been higher than 50c.

and how exactly do you know that? You have the those temps displayed while gaming do you? The temps vary massively based on room temperature. It makes no sense all at to have a fixed fan speed when room temperature changes so much. There's a reason why these console have variable fan speeds. It would make perfect sense to have a fixed speed if the temperatures were always static, but they aren't.

I have mine set to 55C. While typically the fans sound like they are running at 65% while gaming, on occassion I've heard the fans going at 80%. I also have a rough idea of how hot the console is running while gaming from how loud the fans are.

Stock consoles do ramp up their fans, it's just their threshold is set high. I've had a Falcon before which I had in a cabinet and forgot to open the door for ventaliation a few times, after a while I can hear the sound of a leaf blower. It's clear from the target temps 'sound' is more of a priority and not temperature. Of all the consoles, the Xenons is the most relucant to ramp up despite  generating the most heat/ least cooling. But to be fair about them, you do see quite a few people complaining about the noise of stock consoles as it is and any Xenon is likely to make a racket if it were aiming for the same temps a Jasper aims for.

As for changing noise, clean the fans. I find 'dusty' fans make a vibrato wabbling noise like most motors do at certain speeds. Stripping the fans out and cleaning the dust off with a brush seems to help. Then you're just left with 'white noise'.

radoman

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 02:47:00 PM »

QUOTE(tk_saturn @ Mar 9 2011, 08:51 PM) View Post

and how exactly do you know that? You have the those temps displayed while gaming do you? The temps vary massively based on room temperature. It makes no sense all at to have a fixed fan speed when room temperature changes so much. There's a reason why these console have variable fan speeds. It would make perfect sense to have a fixed speed if the temperatures were always static, but they aren't.

How do i know? I have tested it numerous times by playing a graphically demanding game for hours then exiting to fsd to check. Guide + y takes me back in about 3 seconds, i can then look at the temps. I check the temps every time i exit a game. Its always under 50. The expensive thermal compound + fan shroud mod must make a good bit of difference also.

Im fully aware that the environmental temps are variable (my house is kind of cold btw). The point is, set to auto the temps will potentially get much higher than they would ever get when the fans are set to 70%. So how can it be dangerous to do so, It will always do a better job than fans running auto.
The only time I have ever heard the fans speed up that fast is on consoles that have a bad connction between the chips and the heatsink or consoles that are extremely dusty/poorly ventilated. Im sure most ppl have the good sense not to keep the console enclosed.

I have mine set to 55C. While typically the fans sound like they are running at 65% while gaming, on occassion I've heard the fans going at 80%. I also have a rough idea of how hot the console is running while gaming from how loud the fans are.

Stock consoles do ramp up their fans, it's just their threshold is set high. I've had a Falcon before which I had in a cabinet and forgot to open the door for ventaliation a few times, after a while I can hear the sound of a leaf blower. It's clear from the target temps 'sound' is more of a priority and not temperature. Of all the consoles, the Xenons is the most relucant to ramp up despite  generating the most heat/ least cooling. But to be fair about them, you do see quite a few people complaining about the noise of stock consoles as it is and any Xenon is likely to make a racket if it were aiming for the same temps a Jasper aims for.

As for changing noise, clean the fans. I find 'dusty' fans make a vibrato wabbling noise like most motors do at certain speeds. Stripping the fans out and cleaning the dust off with a brush seems to help. Then you're just left with 'white noise'.

The majority of the noise that ppl generally complain about is caused by the 12x dvd rom.  Ive seen xenons, falcons and jaspers get very warm indeed (possibly as high as 80c) and still remain quiet

I dont dissagree that setting the target temps low is a good way of doing it. I just personally dont like the sound of the fans changing speed. In my case (my console isnt dusty btw) keeping the fans constant works great.

Midnight Tboy

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2011, 07:02:00 PM »

stupid question....but how do you set 'target temps'?  I've only ever seen/noticed temps configurable (in FSD) as a percentage of total speed?

antisniperspy

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2011, 09:06:00 PM »

QUOTE(Midnight Tboy @ Mar 9 2011, 09:02 PM) View Post

stupid question....but how do you set 'target temps'?  I've only ever seen/noticed temps configurable (in FSD) as a percentage of total speed?

I think the temps settings are in the nand. Not sure if you can just change them though.

tk_saturn

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2011, 10:14:00 PM »

^^^ Normally a piece of cake to fix. If it's a BB Jasper then it's been recommended before that you don#t use the onboardMU to prevent E71 issues.

radoman

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2011, 11:14:00 PM »

QUOTE(Midnight Tboy @ Mar 10 2011, 02:02 AM) View Post

You can change them setting by using 360 flash tool then reflashing the console.

Haygar

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2011, 05:25:00 AM »

QUOTE(radoman @ Mar 10 2011, 05:14 PM) View Post

You can change them setting by using 360 flash tool then reflashing the console.

Yes, choose your targets in tools/edit config and bob's your aunty!

letsmod

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2011, 01:04:00 PM »

opps wrong post

jimbo70

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2011, 03:27:00 PM »

QUOTE(tk_saturn @ Mar 10 2011, 01:14 AM) View Post

^^^ Normally a piece of cake to fix. If it's a BB Jasper then it's been recommended before that you don#t use the onboardMU to prevent E71 issues.

Normally yes, however I haven't used the onboard MU at all so I don't think this is the issue here. Not to mention after flashing the complete nand back & it still not working it's still e71.

tk_saturn

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2011, 05:02:00 PM »

QUOTE(jimbo70 @ Mar 10 2011, 10:27 PM) View Post

Not to mention after flashing the complete nand back & it still not working it's still e71.

Upload the freeBoot NAND image you are attempting to flash, and a fresh dump of the E71 NAND from Xellous and i'll take a quick look at it.

Sp00nLude

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2011, 05:35:00 PM »

Mine doesn't auto update fine for some reason. I had auto updated fine in the past..but this time it just stops downloading and doesnt ask me to apply the update.

Tried deleting all game data but no auto update.

Haygar

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2011, 03:30:00 AM »

QUOTE(Sp00nLude @ Mar 11 2011, 07:22 AM) View Post

Where can we download this besides the teamfsd website? Their registration isn't working and this latest release isn't at the "usual place".

'Tis now.

Thanks for keeping the updates coming guys  cool.gif

antisniperspy

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2011, 09:37:00 AM »

QUOTE(Haygar @ Mar 10 2011, 07:25 AM) View Post

Yes, choose your targets in tools/edit config and bob's your aunty!

Since this was brought up in this post what do you guys have set as you're thermal settings?

These are what mine are as default. 080°C;071°C;073°C  -  095°C;090°C;092°C

I would like to change them but what do you guys see as good setting. Does anyone also have a good explination of what each of the 6 settings means
Ps I have a Jasper 512

Thanks
Pages: 1 [2] 3