xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Running Linux And Fsd From Same Hdd  (Read 293 times)

Chrisoldinho

• Archived User
Running Linux And Fsd From Same Hdd
« on: November 28, 2010, 09:51:00 AM »

None of this is actually necessary though...It works anyway, so just ignore this thread.

Infact mods - could you delete this?

Chris.

thesonandheir

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 08:10:00 PM »

Hi, thanks for the thread.

I would love to have a Linux distro and FSD on my JTAG but I was worried about it overwriting my 640GB HDD.

Have you found an easier way or something?

Cheers

thesonandheir

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 05:46:00 AM »

QUOTE(Chrisoldinho @ Dec 1 2010, 02:24 PM) View Post

Yep much easier way!

I formatted my HDD 1st inside the dashboard.

Then installed Ubuntu 7.10

Then re-installed FSD.

They work side by side with one another. I believe the reason to be effectively that Linux is running as a Virtual Machine and as such doesn't actually mess around with any partitions, it simply created a Virtual Linux which inside formats Ext 3 etc, imagine how VMWare Workstation works only there is no limit to the size of the virtual machine file, it's as small as it needs to be or as large as it needs to be, you decide after the install by how much junk you put on it smile.gif

In other words you can still use your Xbox HDD as normal side by side with Linux without any issues I have yet to see...

Chris.

Cheers, will try this.

Chrisoldinho

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 01:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(ddxcb @ Dec 4 2010, 11:09 PM) View Post

this is bad BTW as it over write either by linux or the xbox  360 partitions.

My HDD pre linux install was 232GB, post linux install the NXE dash could only see 228GB, I formatted this space to see if it would overwrite Linux and go back to 232GB but it doesn't.

I have 3 ripped games, and FSD on it, all working at the same time as Linux, so for me anyway it seems to work so far...

It isn't really a big deal if it doesn't work though as I have a spare USB HDD chassis that I could always port the 250GB HDD into, guess i'll just wait and see how it pans out!! smile.gif

juggahax0r

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 09:47:00 AM »

As you add more stuff to your Linux partition or NXE partition you will lose data on both eventually rendering the Linux partition unbootable, if you are using the NXE partition.

It's best just to use a second drive for linux.

doerek

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 01:13:00 PM »

Hello everybody,

Can somebody please explain me (or link a tut) how i install Ubuntu on an external USB HDD?
Is it even possible?
The (old school) free60 tut only covers the installation to the internal Xbox HDD.

(Excuse my Bad english)
<-German

Sonic-NKT

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 12:05:00 PM »

i heard way back that the usb driver is still a bit unstable so its not really working running linux from a USB Disk, but maybe this was fixed long ago...