xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77]

Author Topic: More on LIVE Bans, HDD Crippling, Possible Ban Causes  (Read 27506 times)

Kaisonic

• Archived User
More on LIVE Bans, HDD Crippling, Possible Ban Causes
« Reply #1140 on: December 02, 2009, 01:44:00 PM »

To my understanding, the revoked list is a list of console IDs that every console gets when they connect to Live, and whenever they load a saved game or profile, they check if the console ID that signed the content is in the revoked list - and if it is, denies access to it. This implies that it's possible for content used by an offline revoked console will not work on an online console, even though the original console never knew it was revoked.

However, the strategy to making those saved games/profiles work implies this isn't true at all - the strategy I linked above seems to just remove some flags and resign the content. This means that content is only revoked if it is signed by a console that has been revoked - and a console must have been online to know it was revoked, so in this case, an offline console can theoretically never be revoked or banned.

Of course, the above two things are just my speculation based on my experience - my bet is that the latter is true. In other words, if you play a modded console offline, you don't have to worry about those saved games or profiles ever being corrupt on a different console.

Edit: Just as a side note, a revoked console can still install games to the hard drive - that seems to be only related to banned consoles.

Mavster

• Archived User
« Reply #1141 on: December 02, 2009, 03:06:00 PM »

QUOTE(Kaisonic @ Dec 2 2009, 12:44 PM) View Post

To my understanding, the revoked list is a list of console IDs that every console gets when they connect to Live, and whenever they load a saved game or profile, they check if the console ID that signed the content is in the revoked list - and if it is, denies access to it. This implies that it's possible for content used by an offline revoked console will not work on an online console, even though the original console never knew it was revoked.

This is completely wrong. Content saved by a machine that was subsequently banned/revoked machine will be absolutely fine on other machines, providing it was saved before the ban occurred.

slayer902

• Archived User
« Reply #1142 on: December 19, 2009, 03:02:00 AM »

let me ask you guys something regarding this "offline revoking" thing.

so basically my console is banned online (via the repair page) but i was smart enough not to connect to XBL. so basically all my save games and profile are fine, and my HDD install function is still intact. but regarding this happening offline. what it does, will be console's ability to install games to the HDD be affected as well which is the case if you get banned by connecting to XBL. coz now i'm kinda confused. thanks.

Syn201

• Archived User
« Reply #1143 on: December 19, 2009, 09:04:00 AM »

QUOTE(slayer902 @ Dec 19 2009, 12:02 PM) View Post

let me ask you guys something regarding this "offline revoking" thing.

so basically my console is banned online (via the repair page) but i was smart enough not to connect to XBL. so basically all my save games and profile are fine, and my HDD install function is still intact. but regarding this happening offline. what it does, will be console's ability to install games to the HDD be affected as well which is the case if you get banned by connecting to XBL. coz now i'm kinda confused. thanks.

dont connect it to live and it will be fine ..

Tatsh

• Archived User
« Reply #1144 on: December 20, 2009, 09:07:00 PM »

I'm not sure what magic I do. It's definitely luck but I am not banned yet. However I may have just shot myself in the foot today by sticking in a backup of CoDMW2. Haven't checked yet. Will update this.

System: Xenon with Hitachi and iXtreme 1.51

EDIT: Still good. Just signed in.

Le Reveur

• Archived User
« Reply #1145 on: December 24, 2009, 11:02:00 AM »

Shoot MS is scaring the shit out of me, with all this banning going on.
Important question:
If I buy the game, and play live on a hacked console is there a possibility of being banned?

bonneville1992

• Archived User
« Reply #1146 on: December 24, 2009, 11:52:00 AM »

QUOTE(Le Reveur @ Dec 24 2009, 07:02 PM) View Post

Shoot MS is scaring the shit out of me, with all this banning going on.
Important question:
If I buy the game, and play live on a hacked console is there a possibility of being banned?

yep, a very big chance, i got banned and didn't even have a disk in the drive.

Le Reveur

• Archived User
« Reply #1147 on: December 24, 2009, 11:55:00 AM »

what if i'm not connected to the internet whatsover, meaning no live connection

flannelfoot

• Archived User
« Reply #1148 on: January 19, 2010, 05:54:00 PM »

It is possible to "uncorrupt" the profiles. But you need to plug the 360 hard drive into a computer, using the 360 transfer kit or whatever. It's fairly easy and straight forward to do.

There's a tutorial on how to do it here: http://www.se7ensins...xbox-360-a.html

miegs3

• Archived User
« Reply #1149 on: January 21, 2010, 12:52:00 AM »

This might have been asked already but there are so many topics/posts on this subject.

When I first heard about the ban wave in the US I disconnected my network (I'm in Aus) I haven't put it back in since but now figured I'd bite the bullet.

My question is:
Is it a smart Idea to buy a memory Unit and PC transfer plug or cable and backup all saves etc. from profile before re-connecting and possibly corrupting that data. I'm not sure how I will react if I'm banned but it is possible that if I get a new box that I want to keep my saves etc.

Advice will be greatly appreciated.

wooby

• Archived User
« Reply #1150 on: January 23, 2010, 09:48:00 AM »

Alright... I know I'm jinxing myself even posting this, but...

I have a 360 that was banned back in the Crackdown/Halo 3 beta days that suddenly and miraculously has been "forgiven". In other words, I can now connect again to Xbox Live. Has anyone else experienced something like this with a previously banned console?

Before you ask, I have no idea how or why it happened. All I can tell you is the following:

Xbox A - First 360 owned (banned during Crackdown ban wave)

Xbox B - Second 360 owned (banned during MW2 ban wave)

Both had their HDD fail AFTER being banned (but not as a result of the ban...happened well after). I replaced both a few months ago (i.e. I formatted a few 120GB drives to replace them with). I never had bothered to continue checking the status of the consoles, but just so happened to try and connect with Xbox A for shits and giggles last week. Got into Silver, recovered gamer tag, back onto Gold. WTF??

Xbox B is STILL BANNED.

NO.

IDEA.

WHY.

If there is another thread for this, sorry for the misplaced post. Couldn't find it with a search. I really felt like I should have kept my mouth shut, but if I can help some other people potentially get unbanned, dammit, I'm going to try.

Dreamdigitaldk

• Archived User
« Reply #1151 on: July 08, 2010, 05:57:00 PM »

I agree when it comes to MS not letting you install games to our hard drives when we get banned that's just wrong in so many ways.Don't we pay enough!

tbird2340

• Archived User
« Reply #1152 on: January 18, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »

Question..

I just bought a Blaster 360 to flash my Liteon 74850C.. I haven't turned my xbox on in months, probably 6+ months.. Should I update to the latest dashboard BEFORE I change the firmware on my drive?

Also, what are the best practices in order to not get banned? I'm guessing to not even play on LIVE at all? Or, is it safe to play on LIVE if you run through abgx? I've read this last wave of banning people got banned without even having a disk in the drive??

Thanks

Ketchup_Bomb

• Archived User
« Reply #1153 on: January 18, 2011, 09:01:00 PM »

You're really behind the times... this thread is from July.

You can flash the drive before or after the System Update, it doesn't do a firmware check.

However, the fact that you've modded the drive means you will be banned from Xbox Live. It's not "if", it's "when". It's never safe to play on Live.

The new kernel can "ban" the Xbox if it fails to respond correctly to anti-piracy challenges. Once banned, any other disc isn't going to work.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77]