xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Can A Banned Console Do This?  (Read 120 times)

Aiffe

• Archived User
Can A Banned Console Do This?
« on: October 03, 2010, 05:45:00 AM »

So basically, here's the situation. I am a complete and total n00b. I know nothing about modding. I already have an unmodded xbox, but I'm not confident enough to mod it myself.

The game I want to play is one I already own legally. However, it is a Japanese game, dubbed in English, and I am a giant weeaboo. Judge me all you like, but I want to play this game in Japanese with English text. I don't think anyone can call this piracy, considering 1) I already legally own the game, and 2) the version I want to play is not sold anywhere. I would buy it if I could! If I pay money for a game, I should be able to listen to it in any language I like. This is NOT about stealing or getting something for nothing. The fact that I'm considering plunking down a fair bit of money just for the modded console to play this one game should tell you that I'm not saving any money by doing it this way.

I want to get a modded console just to play this game undubbed. I figured it wouldn't matter if it was banned, since I have no intention of playing on xbox live, all I want to do is play my stupid weeaboo game in Japanese.

The problem: the undub of this game exists as raw files meant to be played off the HDD. I heard that banned systems won't let you play anything off the HDD? I thought that maybe it could be converted to an ISO somehow, but the discussion on it seems to suggest it can't ("the sig is broken," whatever that means....) and that it needs a JTAG'd box? Halp, I don't know what any of these things are.

So like, do I really just need a JTAG'd console to play this game? Where do I find those? Is it possible to just buy the banned console and run the game off the HDD? Is it possible to somehow fix the sig (or...something) and make a playable ISO for the banned box? I don't want to throw away money on this console only to find out I can't make it do what I bought it for.

Thank you all for reading!

f34rther34pr

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 10:46:00 AM »

QUOTE(Aiffe @ Oct 3 2010, 06:45 AM) View Post

So basically, here's the situation. I am a complete and total n00b. I know nothing about modding. I already have an unmodded xbox, but I'm not confident enough to mod it myself.

The game I want to play is one I already own legally. However, it is a Japanese game, dubbed in English, and I am a giant weeaboo. Judge me all you like, but I want to play this game in Japanese with English text. I don't think anyone can call this piracy, considering 1) I already legally own the game, and 2) the version I want to play is not sold anywhere. I would buy it if I could! If I pay money for a game, I should be able to listen to it in any language I like. This is NOT about stealing or getting something for nothing. The fact that I'm considering plunking down a fair bit of money just for the modded console to play this one game should tell you that I'm not saving any money by doing it this way.

I want to get a modded console just to play this game undubbed. I figured it wouldn't matter if it was banned, since I have no intention of playing on xbox live, all I want to do is play my stupid weeaboo game in Japanese.

The problem: the undub of this game exists as raw files meant to be played off the HDD. I heard that banned systems won't let you play anything off the HDD? I thought that maybe it could be converted to an ISO somehow, but the discussion on it seems to suggest it can't ("the sig is broken," whatever that means....) and that it needs a JTAG'd box? Halp, I don't know what any of these things are.

So like, do I really just need a JTAG'd console to play this game? Where do I find those? Is it possible to just buy the banned console and run the game off the HDD? Is it possible to somehow fix the sig (or...something) and make a playable ISO for the banned box? I don't want to throw away money on this console only to find out I can't make it do what I bought it for.

Thank you all for reading!

first off, if you're talking about playing this game on the 360 then you're in the wrong section. secondly is this game for xbox or xbox 360? if its for xbox then just hack an original xbox. although usually games are region locked so even if you did hack it you may or may not be able to play it. with an xbox 360 you could jtag it and then mod the dvd drive's firmware and then play it perhaps.
btw, wut is the game called?

Aiffe

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 03:20:00 PM »

Oh, I mean the 360, not the original old xbox, sorry.

I didn't say the name of the game because it said something in the rules about not talking about specific downloaded games, and I didn't want to break any rules. But the game is Tales of Vesperia. (So definitely an xbox 360 game. XD)

f34rther34pr

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 04:01:00 PM »

QUOTE(Aiffe @ Oct 3 2010, 04:20 PM) View Post

Oh, I mean the 360, not the original old xbox, sorry.

I didn't say the name of the game because it said something in the rules about not talking about specific downloaded games, and I didn't want to break any rules. But the game is Tales of Vesperia. (So definitely an xbox 360 game. XD)

i thought they were planning an english release for that game. hmm.

most likely u would need to jtag it to remove the region restriction on your 'box

lordvader129

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 05:56:00 PM »

moving to 360 forum...

SeaQuake

• Recovered User
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 10:51:00 AM »

QUOTE(lordvader129 @ Oct 3 2010, 05:56 PM) View Post

moving to 360 forum...

Kinda Off topic: Foutunately I haven't heard the Japanese voices of tales so I enjoyed the english version. One of my favorites on the xbox 360. I typically hate dubbed games and anime but this game wasn't bad except for the little boy. Loved the characters, graphics, music, battle system and storyline.