xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Repairing My Own Xbox 360  (Read 28 times)

Base400

• Archived User
Repairing My Own Xbox 360
« on: December 05, 2008, 03:20:00 PM »

Hi, I'm new to the forum obviously, I searched the board a little bit before posting here so that I would post this is in the right forum. Hopefully this is the correct forum.

Anyway, I'm looking to repair my own Xbox 360, there's a place that does it around here but they charge $150, for that price I would rather spend an extra $50 to buy a new one, so before I take that step I was hoping that I could it repair myself. I have some knowledge in repairing/building  PC so hopefully that will help me.

Here's the problem. My Xbox360(White Version, Not sure which exact version), My Xbox will play DVDs, and it will play the whole movie, However it will not play 360 games successfully. After 5 minutes of playing, I get two red lights. (May have got 3 rings once or twice out of a bunch of tries). As far as I know that refers to it overheating(2redlights), I am puzzled as to why it does not overheat while playing DVDs. Is there any way that I could fix that?

I have sent this XBOX to to Microsoft before, it was giving me the 3 Rings. Now I am getting the two, unfortunately, I broke the Xbox warranty seal so I can't send this one back.

Thanks in advance, any help appreciated.

DeeRez

• Archived User
Repairing My Own Xbox 360
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 10:35:00 PM »

Playing DVDs doesn't put the chips under as much stress as playing a game, hence more heat when playing.
Your best bet is an x-clamp relacement. Do a search for x clamp tutorial.