xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Benq Flash Failing  (Read 31 times)

jjjjayr

• Archived User
Benq Flash Failing
« on: May 04, 2008, 09:25:00 AM »

I am trying to flash a Benq VAD6038 rom using the Textbook Tutorial. I am having to slightly modify the tutorial to my needs. As my motherboard does not support USB flash boot, therefore am using NTFS4DOS.

I can boot into iPrep no problems but when the tutorial says 'Press Y to resend to MTK Vendor' at the 'dben 1234567 61005' stage. I press yes and 0x7F is the drive status. I should then turn the 360 on for a few seconds whilst it runs through drive status, but mine just sits there on the same status.

The 360 isn't mine but i can conclude that the unit has been back to microsoft for some kind of repair as the MFR date is 2006-05-18 and yet the BenQ drive inside is dated November 2007, The heatsinks seem to be as good as brand new for a 2 year old machine too!

Could this be the problem and if so is there any way to solve it? Could the problem be that i am using NTFS4DOS? I don't see how though tbh?

Any help much appreciated.

Martinchris23

• Archived User
Benq Flash Failing
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 09:41:00 AM »

QUOTE(jjjjayr @ May 4 2008, 04:25 PM) *

I am trying to flash a Benq VAD6038 rom using the Textbook Tutorial. I am having to slightly modify the tutorial to my needs. As my motherboard does not support USB flash boot, therefore am using NTFS4DOS.

I can boot into iPrep no problems but when the tutorial says 'Press Y to resend to MTK Vendor' at the 'dben 1234567 61005' stage. I press yes and 0x7F is the drive status. I should then turn the 360 on for a few seconds whilst it runs through drive status, but mine just sits there on the same status.

The 360 isn't mine but i can conclude that the unit has been back to microsoft for some kind of repair as the MFR date is 2006-05-18 and yet the BenQ drive inside is dated November 2007, The heatsinks seem to be as good as brand new for a 2 year old machine too!

Could this be the problem and if so is there any way to solve it? Could the problem be that i am using NTFS4DOS? I don't see how though tbh?

Any help much appreciated.

All new motherboards support booting from USB - it's just not always obvious. Mine is selected by pressing F8 on boot to go to the device selection screen and its listed under hard drives.

Try going through the process without the drive connected. If you're getting the same code, you're not talking to the BenQ - you're probably looking at another device on your PC.

Double check that dosflash is configured to communicate with your SATA port. You may need to go through the iPrep program again to ensure the right device and port are selected.

jjjjayr

• Archived User
Benq Flash Failing
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 02:24:00 PM »

I've done what you suggested and i was definately talking to the BenQ drive. Without it attached i get nothing at all.
I have a Sapphire Gruper Innovation motherboard and i'm pretty sure it doesnt boot from USB, i use the NTFS4DOS boot method for when i flash Sammy drives.

Any other thoughts?

Martinchris23

• Archived User
Benq Flash Failing
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 02:57:00 PM »

There is no way your motherboard DOESN'T support booting from USB.

When you initially boot the machine, look for an option for selecting a boot device - it will be something like F8 or F12 depending on the BIOS you have. From there, assuming you have a USB stick already in place, look under 'hard drives' and you should see it listed.

The problem you have is that I don't think your chipset is supported by DosFlash. From what I can see (http://www.sapphiretech.com/en/products/mainboards_overview.php?gpid=117) , you have an ATI chipset on the motherboard. The only way for you to get a result here is to use a VIA 6421 PCI card.

jjjjayr

• Archived User
Benq Flash Failing
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 06:45:00 PM »

I have a VIA 6421 PCI Card installed and that is the right motherboard! My brother in law and I did look into usb booting a while ago when i Ixtreme'd my sammy drive and thats when we decided to use NTFS4DOS.
I will have another look into usb booting and let you know the outcome.

thanks for your help so far.