xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Philips Lite-on Dg-16d2s  (Read 392 times)

XPunked

• Archived User
Philips Lite-on Dg-16d2s
« on: April 24, 2008, 07:54:00 AM »

This is a new thread for the new 'unhackable' Philips Lite-on DG-16D2S.

I started this thread because everyone is calling it the 'new BenQ'. Although it looks very similar to the BenQ, it is not a BenQ drive. Here is the other thread started for this DVD drive: http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=648236

Thus far it has been established:

*It can not be read with DosFlash. After turning the drive on for the second time the status is 52/D2 instead of the usual D1.
*It's has surfaced in consoles worldwide, from refurb factories and store shelves.
*It can not be recognized by MTKFLash
*It has the same drive tray as the BenQ
*Recognised by slax as 16D2S during bootup
*Not recognized by windows

Let's hope C4E and others can crack this baby.......

Someone wanna post some nice pics??

How to ID the drive without taking the system apart:

take the faceplate off of the system. you should now be able to take a peak into the system through the large holes under the dvd drive. if you see white wires, you have a benq, yellow wires means lite-on

This post has been edited by Reaper527: Jun 12 2008, 05:32 PM

VanydotK

• Archived User
Philips Lite-on Dg-16d2s
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 08:50:00 AM »

Seriously? You opened a new thread instead of posting in the existing one? I know you must want to get your post count up but wow.. I guess we should all start finding threads, summarize them and post =D

w0rdie

• Archived User
Philips Lite-on Dg-16d2s
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 02:28:00 PM »

I for one, enjoyed the easy to read consolidation of the few known details.  smile.gif

p1mpma57ah

• Archived User
Philips Lite-on Dg-16d2s
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 06:35:00 PM »

Can anyone preferably from europe who has a box with the new drive get in touch with me please? I will buy it or exchange for a brand new xbox360 with flashable benq. thanks.

XPunked

• Archived User
Philips Lite-on Dg-16d2s
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 07:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(VanydotK @ Apr 24 2008, 03:50 PM) View Post

Seriously? You opened a new thread instead of posting in the existing one? I know you must want to get your post count up but wow.. I guess we should all start finding threads, summarize them and post =D

I just started this thread because the other thread was called 'the new BenQ', and I thought that was a misnomer, so I started this one. I reckon we should call this new DVD drive the 'Lite-on', as a few people in the other thread suggested. Thats all.... I wasn't try to hijack the subject or anything. Thats enough useless banter from me. Lets all stick to the subject: the new 'unhackable' Lite-on DG-16D2S.

I think this DVD drive will definitely hit the retails stores within a few months. M$ wouldn't get a new OEM just for repairs.

Havok

• Archived User
Philips Lite-on Dg-16d2s
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 09:53:00 PM »

The summary is pretty pointless because OF course MTKFlash wont work... it only works with Mediatek chipsets...etc. etc.  

This is a technical forum and *IF* a new thread was going to be created it should contain helpful non-obvious information.

Just by looking at the controller chip in the drive I can see that none of the current tools will work..

Blast

• Archived User
Philips Lite-on Dg-16d2s
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 12:45:00 AM »

I thought the summary was a good thing from a few perspectives, one being that IN the other thread people stated Australia and Germany as sources for the new drives but on the LAST page someone wrote "only australia" which is wrong. People don't read all posts, that's a sad fact. So having a good summary will help getting people to get it.

How many times don't we have people asking the SAME question over and over just because they haven't read the whole thread? Exactly. If the OP wouldn't have created this thread with this name you can be assured that someone else would have and it would have been "ZOMG! I GOT A NEW DRIVE!!!" and it would have had this name. This way we have the name locked already.

Just my 0.02 <insert favorite currency here>

VanydotK

• Archived User
Philips Lite-on Dg-16d2s
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 01:52:00 AM »

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
QUOTE(Blast @ Apr 25 2008, 07:45 AM) *

I thought the summary was a good thing from a few perspectives, one being that IN the other thread people stated Australia and Germany as sources for the new drives but on the LAST page someone wrote "only australia" which is wrong. People don't read all posts, that's a sad fact. So having a good summary will help getting people to get it.

How many times don't we have people asking the SAME question over and over just because they haven't read the whole thread? Exactly. If the OP wouldn't have created this thread with this name you can be assured that someone else would have and it would have been "ZOMG! I GOT A NEW DRIVE!!!" and it would have had this name. This way we have the name locked already.

Just my 0.02 <insert favorite currency here>

It won't matter if this thread was created or not, when that new drive hits retail there will still be idiots that won't bother searching and they'll make a new thread anyway. There are still people making new threads asking if the Hitachi 79 can be flashed with software!

You guys are just lazy and you want everything spood fed to you, that's all there is to it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

XPunked

• Archived User
Philips Lite-on Dg-16d2s
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 03:40:00 AM »

Jesus!!!! I didn't think starting a new thread would start a flaming war.

If anyone would like to discuss the Lite-on drive, instead of the fact that I started a new thread, that would be great (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

caster420

• Archived User
Philips Lite-on Dg-16d2s
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 10:41:00 AM »

QUOTE(Havok @ Apr 24 2008, 11:29 PM) *
The summary is pretty pointless because OF course MTKFlash wont work... it only works with Mediatek chipsets...etc. etc.

I suggest you take a closer look at the photos.  It DOES have a mediatek chipset, just no SPI flash.

Caster.

Havok

• Archived User
Philips Lite-on Dg-16d2s
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 11:26:00 AM »

I conceed to the master....

Thanks for the correction caster...

I definately put my foot in my mouth on that one... BUT.. I was trying to make a point that in the technical section this thread is pretty much pointless.  As all it did was throw the kitchen sink at the problem, while not giving any clear details.

Now if an expert such as yourself.. summarzed the pertinent technical  information.. like the "It has a MTK chipset but SPI flash is missing" (which I obviously missed).  And the thread didn't go off tangent as soon as it was posted.  

Then it would be a good addition to the forum.  But... just my opinion... (goes to sulk in the corner...) wink.gif

caster420

• Archived User
Philips Lite-on Dg-16d2s
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 12:08:00 PM »

QUOTE(Havok @ Apr 25 2008, 01:02 PM) *
I was trying to make a point that in the technical section this thread is pretty much pointless.
 I agree 100%.  It wasn't meant as a shot at you but merely as a correction in facts.

Caster.

This post has been edited by caster420: Apr 25 2008, 07:09 PM

Troed

• Archived User
Philips Lite-on Dg-16d2s
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2008, 01:16:00 PM »

FYI; This drive has appeared in a store bought X360 Premium in the UK. Mfg date: 2008-05-04

Philpy

• Archived User
Philips Lite-on Dg-16d2s
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 02:18:00 PM »

Same here my brother just got a new xbox 360 Premium 3 days ago and i could not flash the drive

it look like all the new xbox's will come with this drive (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

i hope someone can hack this soon

UK

This post has been edited by Philpy: Jun 1 2008, 09:19 PM

riddle13

• Archived User
Philips Lite-on Dg-16d2s
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 08:53:00 AM »

QUOTE(Philpy @ Jun 1 2008, 10:54 PM) View Post

Same here my brother just got a new xbox 360 Premium 3 days ago and i could not flash the drive

it look like all the new xbox's will come with this drive sad.gif

i hope someone can hack this soon

UK

does this drive anly come with a premium one or with elite as well?
Pages: [1] 2 3