xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: How Should I Set This Up?  (Read 125 times)

96Firebird

• Archived User
How Should I Set This Up?
« on: August 07, 2007, 10:03:00 PM »

I'm looking to stream some wmv-hd files from my pc to the 360 for hd viewing pleasure on my roommate's hdtv.  I haven't really done much reading on the topic, but I suppose I need to use WMP11 to stream the files to the 360.  My roommate and I will probably be getting a cheap wireless router so he can use his laptop anywhere in the apartment.  But I'm not sure if I want to spend the ~$100 on a wireless network adapter for the 360 if the streaming is going to be choppy for such large files.  I'm not really sure how this works, but I was thinking of getting an external plug-and-play HDD (probably a WD 500GB USB 2.0 drive), and putting the wmv-hd files onto that drive.  Then plug the drive into the laptop and plug the laptop into the 360 and stream from there.  Is that possible?  Are there any cheaper alternatives to the wireless network adapter than will work well?  I want to make this as simple as possible, but don't want to spend gobs of money.  I'm a poor college student (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif).

Thanks for any help.

shad0wlink

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 02:01:00 PM »

i saw my cousin do something like that a couple of moths ago i wasn't really paying attention but if you going to get a router dont go cheapo on it get a nice one *N draft* apple has a really nice router i mean really nice. but other than that use google my friend.

proaudiosoft

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 03:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(96Firebird @ Aug 7 2007, 11:03 PM) *

I'm looking to stream some wmv-hd files from my pc to the 360 for hd viewing pleasure on my roommate's hdtv.  I haven't really done much reading on the topic, but I suppose I need to use WMP11 to stream the files to the 360.  My roommate and I will probably be getting a cheap wireless router so he can use his laptop anywhere in the apartment.  But I'm not sure if I want to spend the ~$100 on a wireless network adapter for the 360 if the streaming is going to be choppy for such large files.  I'm not really sure how this works, but I was thinking of getting an external plug-and-play HDD (probably a WD 500GB USB 2.0 drive), and putting the wmv-hd files onto that drive.  Then plug the drive into the laptop and plug the laptop into the 360 and stream from there.  Is that possible?  Are there any cheaper alternatives to the wireless network adapter than will work well?  I want to make this as simple as possible, but don't want to spend gobs of money.  I'm a poor college student (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif).

Thanks for any help.

Plug the 360 directly into the router if possible, connect your external drive to your laptop. You can stream from you external drive through your laptop through the router to you 360. Just use media center to setup. Piece of cake (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif))

96Firebird

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 09:50:00 PM »

The router will be in my roommate's room, so I can hook my PC directly up to it without going through wireless (I like to download at a constant 15mbps).  The TV is in the living room, and the laptop will be wherever ha.  I'd like to keep the external HDD that will house all the files connected to my PC, so I figured I'd send the files through the network to the laptop and then go from there.  But then I read about ICS, so I may look into that a little more...

Pyro0623

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 05:38:00 PM »

Heres what you can do, go find yourself a cheapo 802.11g access point and set it up in client/bridge mode, then connect it to your 360 via a short Cat5e. G band is plenty fast enough for streaming content and online play. the only reason you should buy a top of the line N adapter is if you need massive amounts of lan throughput. the thing most people dont realise is that gigabit lan in itself may be fast, but streaming video and big file transfers will only go as fast as your hard drive, which is nowhere near gigabit speeds.

And before you pull out the Sata 3Gb/s argument (i've heard it many times), 3Gb/s is the speed of the Bus not the Drive.