xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Chips Vs. Flashed Drives: "The Official Thread"  (Read 416 times)

new360

• Archived User
Chips Vs. Flashed Drives: "The Official Thread"
« on: January 19, 2007, 05:34:00 PM »

Hey guys just got myself a 360 and hoping to have it modded to play backups, was hoping it could do what the original modded xbox could do but with the lack of dashboard currently dont know if it will. what i am wanting to know from all of those far more knowledgable than i, as what do you think is the best option flashing or chipping?

--------Edit by Sosotiit---------------
Since this subject comes back regularly and that we redo the same discussion again and again. I decided to use NEW360 thread, which is very typical of this subject, as our official modchip vs flash drive discussion thread. Any new thread with the usual question on this matter will be moved here.
-------------------------------------------

This post has been edited by sosotiit: Mar 11 2007, 01:05 AM

Helliano

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 05:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(new360 @ Jan 20 2007, 01:41 AM) *

Hey guys just got myself a 360 and hoping to have it modded to play backups, was hoping it could do what the original modded xbox could do but with the lack of dashboard currently dont know if it will. what i am wanting to know from all of those far more knowledgable than i, as what do you think is the best option flashing or chipping?

Flashing def, easier faster and always up to date.

Currently "only" thing you can do on 360 is run backup on discs.

sosotiit

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 06:50:00 PM »

The flash allows you to play backup of x360 as well as xbox 1.

Maybe someone will jump in to confirm.
But I never found a confirmation that Xbox 1 backups can be used on X360 modchip.

Something you should confirm if you decide to go with a CHip.

rgds,soso

DADDYDjCK

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 08:38:00 PM »

FLASH IT. . .no doubt about it. . .and you can always keep it up to date with the latest firmware. . .check out the blaster 360 if you are worried about not having to rip open your box all the time!!

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 01:25:00 AM »

Another vote for flashing.  You never even have to crack open your DVD-ROM drive.  As of yet I haven't seen any clear advantages to the chip.  Both will undoubtedly require updates at some point and both will require you to crack open your system each time.

new360

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 03:30:00 PM »

Thanks for that guys, sounds like flashing is the way to go, will it stay this way i've seen a little bit about the devil 360 but not knowing much about much it looked promising to me but looking for pointsa of veiw from those more expereinced and knowledgable

CattyKid

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 03:40:00 PM »

QUOTE(new360 @ Jan 20 2007, 07:37 PM) *

Thanks for that guys, sounds like flashing is the way to go, will it stay this way i've seen a little bit about the devil 360 but not knowing much about much it looked promising to me but looking for pointsa of veiw from those more expereinced and knowledgable

We haven't heard a thing since June 6 2006 and even then it was just a website and no proof of anything.  It's nothing at all.
It may or may not stay this way for a while.  I doubt a homebrew hack, if/when there is one, will be a firmware flash or a chip on the DVD drive... they will likely be more complicated at least at first.

new360

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 09:45:00 PM »

ok thanks for that. So if the chances are high that MS will find ways to shut down flashed drives and modified firmware then is it still worrth doing?

CattyKid

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 10:01:00 PM »

QUOTE(new360 @ Jan 21 2007, 01:52 AM) *

ok thanks for that. So if the chances are high that MS will find ways to shut down flashed drives and modified firmware then is it still worrth doing?

Chances high, we don't know.  Anyone that says yes or no with any certainty is lying.  If hacking or interrupting on Live with modified game files becomes a problem (which it may), then you can bet bans will start, at least from Live.  
But, it's a chance that you have to be willing to take and something that, if it does indeed occur, you need to be able to accept.  It is your job to decide if it is worth or not.

NoFace

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 11:05:00 PM »

IMO, If MS is going to shut down modders/flashers, they will go after the people w/ the chips too. Your best and cheapest way to mod right now is to flash your firmware.

Knasen

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2007, 02:09:00 AM »

Chip or flash...

* Both methods involve opening the case and thus vioding any warranty.
* Flashing is alot cheaper (I did it myself with stuff I already had and it costed me a total 0$ bucks).
* They have about the same functionality, no advantage with chip imo.
* Both methods will probably be detected and banned at the same time IF they really want to/start banning modded consoles.

In the end I don't see anything that is better with a chip, go for FW flash.

anarchyincarcery

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2007, 09:55:00 AM »

well at least the chip can be turned off...

when you insert an original game, the chip turns off and then you can go on xbox live... I dont see how you can get banned if at that momment it is like having an unmodified xbox.

depending on what you need, sometimes its better to install a chip.

playing the game it's really good, but playing your favorite game on live is F-ing sweeet!

new360

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2007, 02:06:00 PM »

thanks for that, the whole idea that a chip can be turned off was the one reason why i considered using a chip, as it can ulternate between the original firmware and modified firmware to use backups. at the end of the day i want to be able to protect my games by using backups but i dont want to sacrifice any functionality.

CattyKid

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2007, 02:31:00 PM »

QUOTE(anarchyincarcery @ Jan 21 2007, 02:02 PM) *

well at least the chip can be turned off...

when you insert an original game, the chip turns off and then you can go on xbox live... I dont see how you can get banned if at that momment it is like having an unmodified xbox.

depending on what you need, sometimes its better to install a chip.

playing the game it's really good, but playing your favorite game on live is F-ing sweeet!

That's no guarantee.  MS COULD implement a check (if they wanted to) into the dashboard, not via Live as they did on the original Xbox.
If you remember, the dashboard runs all the time in the background, so you wouldn't even need to connect to Live to be detected.  Also recall auto-login (which can be turned off) as soon as you boot your 360.

Again, these are all just theories, some backed up more than others.
I've said it before and I will say it again:
If you are worried about losing Live and couldn't deal with it then I suggest keeping your 360 stock or getting another (ridiculous) to run backups on.

new360

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2007, 07:19:00 PM »

ok thanks for that, will being banned from live be the extent of what micrsoft can do to your console?
Pages: [1] 2 3