xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xtra Storage Idea....  (Read 145 times)

maddog06

• Archived User
Xtra Storage Idea....
« on: March 07, 2006, 06:52:00 AM »

http://www.llamma.co.....Drive Mod.htm

1. how the hell do i get this to work??

2. could i use a regular xbox hdd if i did the same "FAT32 partition" thing??

C o s m o

• Archived User
Xtra Storage Idea....
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 07:07:00 AM »

QUOTE(maddog06 @ Mar 7 2006, 07:59 AM) View Post

http://www.llamma.co.....Drive Mod.htm

1. how the hell do i get this to work??

Answer:
First assemble the drive with the USB adapter.  Next plug the unit into your PC.  If your running Windows XP most USB adapters will be automatically recognized and installed.  If you are running an older operating system you may need to install a driver for the adapter

Next create a new FAT32 partition on the newly installed device.  Again if the drive is larger than 32GB you will need to use a utility like Partition Magic to create the volume.  If the drive is smaller than 32GB you can accomplish this via the "Computer Management"  snap in found in the Control Panel -> Administrative tools.  Last you need to format the volume.  The same rule applies for formatting as well; if it is larger than 32GB you will need some other utility like partition magic to format.  Windows XP and 2000 does not natively support the creation and formatting of devices larger than 32GB.

Once you've got it all done you should be able to load content to the drive via windows.  Plug it into your 360 and go to media and select portable device and bam.. there's YOUR media.

QUOTE(maddog06 @ Mar 7 2006, 07:59 AM) View Post

2. could i use a regular xbox hdd if i did the same "FAT32 partition" thing??

Answer:
A hard drive of your choice.  The drive of choice is not important as long as you can get a USB 2.0 adapter for that type of drive.

maddog06

• Archived User
Xtra Storage Idea....
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 07:12:00 AM »

...USB 2.0 adapter

where can I find one of these??

EDIT : http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

is this it???

C o s m o

• Archived User
Xtra Storage Idea....
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 10:01:00 AM »

It looks right to me. smile.gif

bucko

• Recovered User
Xtra Storage Idea....
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 10:14:00 AM »

Remember that your X360 will read-only MP3's and Pictures from a USB HD. You need MCE on a PC networked to your X360 to stream video.

maddog06

• Archived User
Xtra Storage Idea....
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 01:15:00 PM »

how would i use it as a memory card?? does the real 360 hd have to be removed at that time??

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
Xtra Storage Idea....
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 02:12:00 PM »

Can I use a USB stick or other Mass Storage Device in place of a Memory Unit or Hard Drive?
No, USB sticks and other USB based mass storage devices are READ ONLY on the Xbox 360. Further, the only thing the Xbox 360 can read from such devices is audio files and image files, nothing else. Currently there is no known way to modify a USB mass storage device to work as an official memory card or hard drive.

DarkDeity

• Archived User
Xtra Storage Idea....
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 06:28:00 PM »

http://www.axshop.co...s.aspx/sku-1092 USB 2.0 enclosure 8.99 free shipping

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
Xtra Storage Idea....
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2006, 06:37:00 AM »

QUOTE(DarkDeity @ Mar 7 2006, 08:35 PM) View Post

http://www.axshop.co...s.aspx/sku-1092 USB 2.0 enclosure 8.99 free shipping

yeah but thats for a 2.5" HDD... if you want a decent amount of space without paying a ton you should get a 3.5" enclosure. sure the 3.5" enclosures cost a little more but the hard drives are half the price for twice the space.

Also I have that same enclosure in a 3.5" size and I hate it, the build quality is just crap and they didn't even include the screws to keep the end on, I wouldn't recommend it.

maddog06

• Archived User
Xtra Storage Idea....
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2006, 06:58:00 AM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Mar 8 2006, 02:44 PM) View Post

yeah but thats for a 2.5" HDD... if you want a decent amount of space without paying a ton you should get a 3.5" enclosure. sure the 3.5" enclosures cost a little more but the hard drives are half the price for twice the space.

Also I have that same enclosure in a 3.5" size and I hate it, the build quality is just crap and they didn't even include the screws to keep the end on, I wouldn't recommend it.

ok, now my last question, could i use this idea to save game demos (xbox live;gold) instead of saving them on my stock hdd to save space??

thanx for all the input guys  jester.gif

C o s m o

• Archived User
Xtra Storage Idea....
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2006, 07:06:00 AM »

QUOTE(maddog06 @ Mar 8 2006, 08:05 AM) View Post

ok, now my last question, could i use this idea to save game demos (xbox live;gold) instead of saving them on my stock hdd to save space??

thanx for all the input guys  jester.gif

Sorry, but no.  It works like a storage device...like a thumb drive (or jump drive or whatever).  It's read-only, and the only files that can be read are pictures and music.  That's it.