xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 2 Red Lights, Did X-clamp, No Fix And No Heat To Cpu/gpu  (Read 85 times)

Shareef187

• Archived User
2 Red Lights, Did X-clamp, No Fix And No Heat To Cpu/gpu
« on: April 03, 2008, 07:37:00 PM »

I'm working on a 360 for a friend of a friend. It only had 2 red lights, the first and third, like when the system overheats. I just did an X-clamp replacement, and it did not fix the problem. The strange thing is that the cpu and gpu heatsinks do not heat up at all, and I definitely have them on tight enough, and also replaced the thermal compound with AS5. Anyone have any clue what's going on with this unit?

I Bac0n I

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 09:11:00 PM »

the space between the motherboard and the heatsinks is too much, remove a washer.

This post has been edited by I Bac0n I: Apr 4 2008, 04:11 AM

Shareef187

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 09:50:00 PM »

Unfortunately that's not the case. I am only using 1 washer for the cpu heatsink, and 3 for the gpu + shim. This is the same # that I've done for every RROD I've fixed this far... actually, I normally use 2 for the cpu because the washers I use are quite small, and to entertain your suggestion, I just removed one and brought it down to just one, and it's still giving the same problem.

I Bac0n I

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 11:17:00 PM »

If it instantly overheats there in little to no contact between the heatsink and the chips.  There is a spacing issue, unless your 360 has a bigger problem.  I use 1 thick nylon washer between both heatsinks, snug up the bolts and bake the 360.  Then it fires right up after a 30 minute cooldown.

3 washers+a shim is probably too much much.  The washer stack shouldn't be much thicker than the hex part of the X-clamp pin.

Just try different combination's until you find one that works, not all 360s react the same.

Shareef187

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 05:48:00 PM »

I just brought the # of washers on the GPU down to 2, and still no heat. I guarantee it's not an issue of there being space between the CPU/GPU and the heatsinks... Is there any other possible reason this could be happening?

flippy10

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 07:37:00 PM »

The temperature detection circuitry is toast, and there's a good chance your Xbox is too. Sorry :/

Shareef187

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 08:06:00 PM »

Fortunately it's not mine, it's a friend's. Think any last resort moves (heatgun/oven trick) have the slightest chance of working?

jimwross

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 04:30:00 AM »

All of this information is incorrect.

When you get the 2 Red Lights IMMEDIATELY after doing the 3RLOD fix it's becuase the motherboard is flexing.  Take the motherboard OUT of the metal shell and set it on a table, see if it overheats right away (2 red lights).

The temp sensor sits below the CPU.  You will notice that if you have the screws cranked down on the CPU side the motherboard flexes.  This causes the 360 to THINK its overheatting, when its not.

Try loosening the screws a tad bit, ALSO when re-assembling the 360, leave the two middle LONG screws (out of the 6 required to put back the top on) out.  Make sure everything is even; use flat head not pan head screws as well.

brandogg

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 07:57:00 AM »

The 360 instantly "overheats" when the heatsink is not touching the die of the chip. Flexing of the board on it's own isn't going to cause 2 red lights, or even 3 red lights, unless the flexing is causing a short or broken solder joint, or is causing the heatsink to make inadequate contact with the die on the chip below it. Anyone with a 360 can prove this by removing the heatsinks and booting their system. The system has no idea that the motherboard is even being flexed.