xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox Dvd Drive Replacement  (Read 11 times)

Rushpro1851

• Archived User
Xbox Dvd Drive Replacement
« on: January 07, 2008, 10:25:00 PM »

Here's the Deal,

My friend gave me a free Xbox 360 that he found in an rig Trailer, I thought Sweet deal! It came with no cables, but I don't mind buying those. The problem is, the DVD drive is SHOT! It makes grinding noses with out any disks in it! It has already destroyed an xbox 360 game, and I have looked inside (The seals were pre-broken) and noticed nothing wrong!. Any way, I am thinking of buying a new drive of Ebay or something like that, but the problem is, I don't know if I can flash it or not...

The drive I have in it right now is a HL and I will be buying the same drive.

Can I simply use a flashing program to Grab the old firmware and flash it to the new drive?

And if so, What program will flash it? I did a little looking and MTKFlash is said not to work.

It will cost $120 for a 20GB hard Drive, Power Brick, VGA cables, and the DVD drive (Canadian)

Is it worth it?

Or should I buy 1 GB ram for my lappy?

RDC

• Archived User
Xbox Dvd Drive Replacement
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 07:39:00 PM »

If it's making noises with no disc in the drive then it can still be the magnet on the spindle motor, the laser doesn't move fast enough to make any kind of noise like that and if it were responsible for the noise it most likely wouldn't work at all. Take the cover off the drive and see if the magnet is missing or stuck to the lid half. If it's not in place you'll get that grinding sound either way, disc or no disc. Sometimes it will still play a disc, just when it goes to speed up or slow down the disc it doesn't have a good hold on it because of the magnet being loose/missing, and that's where that awful noise comes from. If there's physically something else in the drive tearing up the discs then taking it apart would also let ya see whatever that is and remove it, so again yer jumping the gun a bit on just getting a new drive when it's already been stated by you that one does work, just sounds like it needs some attention is all. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)