xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Swapping Disc Drives  (Read 11 times)

PureEnvy

• Archived User
Swapping Disc Drives
« on: October 22, 2007, 08:36:00 PM »

Recently on my modded firmware xbox 360 i encountered the dreaded red light of death, on seeing this issue and the fact the warranty is over, seal broken etc i figured there is only one solution. Buy a new 360, no my question is, my old 360 dvd drive is intact and modded, so is it possible for me to simply take it out of my old 360 and put it in the new one, that way it saves me having to remod the new drive?

currently in the UK and im wondering if this is a possibilty, as long as i dont encounter any black glue, is this possible as it wud make a lot of sense imo?

thanks in advance

nv

brandogg

• Archived User
Swapping Disc Drives
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 08:19:00 PM »

You need to get the DVD key from your new DVD-ROM on your new system, then you need to spoof your old DVD-ROm using the new DVD's key. Check the DVD-ROM forum for details.

RDC

• Archived User
Swapping Disc Drives
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 10:34:00 PM »

QUOTE(motorhead_nsb @ Oct 23 2007, 12:06 AM) View Post

Please forgive me for hijacking your thread but I had a question thats kinda on the same page. Maybe you could even answer it for me.  If I wanted to put a replacement DVD Drive in my 360, would I have to do anything but just plug it in, provided it was a 360 replacement drive made by the same manufacturer as the previous? Thx.

You can not 'plug and play' new drive into the 360. The key on the drive has to match the one on the motherboard or the drive will only play CDs and DVD movies.

The only way you can 'get around' dumping the FW and injecting the key into the new drives FW is to replace the Logic board in the new drive with the one from your drive, this is only possible if the drives are the same make and there is no damage to the Logic board itself. The FW version of the drive doesn't have to match exactly, but with Hitachi drives there are 2 groups.

So if you have a Samsung ms28 and you get a new Samsung ms25 (or vice-versa) you can just swap Logic boards and the new drive (with your Logic board) will work in your 360. With the Hitachi drives the v59 and lower drives can all have the Logic boards swapped into any other version Hitachi so far. The v78 and v79 have a little bit thicker board, so it doesn't fit in the v59 and older chassis without some slight modification, but it will if need be.

If your drive is only having issues reading games, then trying the POT tweak or replacing the laser is all the drive may need to get back in working order again.

If it was a botched modchip install, something went wrong during a FW flash or the drive is a different make (Samsung to Hitachi or vice-versa) then ya have other things to consider and the key will have to be extracted from the old drive and injected into the new one for sure.