xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 0078fk Only Cds Now , No Dvd  (Read 209 times)

clixo

• Archived User
0078fk Only Cds Now , No Dvd
« on: January 27, 2007, 11:44:00 AM »

Hi , i have one xbox 360 with an 0078fk drive that i changed the firmware last december, it was workin perfectly til today , i was playng with it and after 30 minuts it started to make starge noises ( the drive ) , the game stucked and i had to reebot, after the reboot the noise continued and it does no read any dvd , game backup , original , or movie dvd, if it feed it with a music cd it plays normal. is the lenth of the drive " dead " ? any ideas to bring it to normal condition ?

thanks in advance

mr-blonde

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 11:58:00 AM »

sound like its fucked mate get a new dvd drive

WoodZ

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 12:03:00 PM »

QUOTE(mr-blonde @ Jan 27 2007, 07:05 PM) View Post

sound like its fucked mate get a new dvd drive

Can you simply replace the drive? I thought drives were assigned to the unit.

It may be cheaper and easier just to buy a replacement laser unit. I have seen new ones for sale.

mr-blonde

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 12:15:00 PM »

you can replace the drive as long as you have a copy of the original frimware from original drive

WoodZ

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 12:26:00 PM »

QUOTE(mr-blonde @ Jan 27 2007, 07:22 PM) View Post

you can replace the drive as long as you have a copy of the original frimware from original drive

Ahh, that's good to know. Thanks.

Methadon

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 03:22:00 PM »

You need to adjust the DVD POT on your laser. If it can read CDs and not DVDs, I would assume the laser is fine.

clixo

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 09:20:00 AM »

QUOTE(Methadon @ Jan 28 2007, 12:29 AM) *

You need to adjust the DVD POT on your laser. If it can read CDs and not DVDs, I would assume the laser is fine.

news update, after adjusting the pot now i am able to read dvds, either backups or originals , but the wierd thing is that the drive only reads if my finger is " helping " the center piece of the drive to make it stable , if i close the drive it will not work , if i help with my finger it reads perfectly . one other thing i noticed is that the tray seams to " flip up and down too mutch ( i do not now how to explain it better in english )

what now ? the drive reads , but needs help .... this is wierd

Methadon

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 10:48:00 AM »

QUOTE(clixo @ Feb 4 2007, 04:51 PM) View Post

news update, after adjusting the pot now i am able to read dvds, either backups or originals , but the wierd thing is that the drive only reads if my finger is " helping " the center piece of the drive to make it stable , if i close the drive it will not work , if i help with my finger it reads perfectly . one other thing i noticed is that the tray seams to " flip up and down too mutch ( i do not now how to explain it better in english )

what now ? the drive reads , but needs help .... this is wierd

Well, if you're going to replace it, PM me if you wanna sell that one. Never had to help the drive like you're describing, so not sure what to tell you on that one. Perhaps looking up the rubber band trick might help?

clixo

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 01:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(Methadon @ Feb 4 2007, 07:55 PM) *

Well, if you're going to replace it, PM me if you wanna sell that one. Never had to help the drive like you're describing, so not sure what to tell you on that one. Perhaps looking up the rubber band trick might help?

(IMG:http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/1716/dsc01371zl1.th.jpg)

this how i help the drive to make the dvd inside " stable " otherwise it will not read it .

dikemee

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 01:41:00 PM »

Ran in to the exact same problem yesterday.  Yep with a 0078fk.   These peice of shit hitachi's, had mine for a month.  I did figure it out though.  You may not have the same problem, but it was quite simple really.  Whn you open up your DVD rom look at the top spindle.  Is there a little metal circle magnetized to it?  If so, pry it off, and super glue it back on the motor.  That simple.  Like I said you may not have the same problem, but we had the exact same symptoms, and now it works like a bell.  Hope this helps.

clixo

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 05:09:00 AM »

QUOTE(dikemee @ Feb 4 2007, 10:48 PM) View Post

Ran in to the exact same problem yesterday.  Yep with a 0078fk.   These peice of shit hitachi's, had mine for a month.  I did figure it out though.  You may not have the same problem, but it was quite simple really.  Whn you open up your DVD rom look at the top spindle.  Is there a little metal circle magnetized to it?  If so, pry it off, and super glue it back on the motor.  That simple.  Like I said you may not have the same problem, but we had the exact same symptoms, and now it works like a bell.  Hope this helps.

Man , you where 100% right , that solved my problem , thank you very much.

dikemee

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 10:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(clixo @ Feb 6 2007, 01:16 PM) View Post

Man , you where 100% right , that solved my problem , thank you very much.

No problem my man.  Glad your back in business.  Does your's still make weird noised upon booting?

Grim187

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2007, 12:25:00 AM »

QUOTE(dikemee @ Feb 4 2007, 12:48 PM) View Post

These peice of shit hitachi's

you dont know the half of it, 10 360's until i got one that worked, 2 of the Hitachi drives would just stop spinning the disk while i was playing, after i finally got one that worked (with a samsung in it) my computers 80gb Hitachi hdd died.

i hate Hitachi.

clixo

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2007, 03:00:00 AM »

QUOTE(dikemee @ Feb 9 2007, 07:28 AM) *

No problem my man.  Glad your back in business.  Does your's still make weird noised upon booting?

now it boots normaly without any strage noise ... so far

DanUK

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2007, 12:49:00 PM »

i had the exact same problemabout a month back, had my 360 from new, hitachi 0078 drive. had it for a month then heard that noise and no dvds would play, took the drive apart and found that the magnet had come off and stuck to the lid of the dvd drive, just superglued it back in place and it worked like a dream, seems like the 0078 has got a common fault, with the magnets.
Pages: [1] 2