xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Is My 360 Dead?  (Read 84 times)

~jeff~

• Archived User
Is My 360 Dead?
« on: October 11, 2006, 11:47:00 PM »

Ok, so my 360 has been running well since i got it, but just recently it kinda stopped reading disks, when it tries to, i can hear wierd clicking noises coming from my 360  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)  Except it can read it if they are in the drive already when i boot it up.

I havent had any red flashing lights at all, or any error codes, it just doesnt read the disks. Any help as to what the problem might be, and how to possibly fix it / what to do about it, would be GREATLY appreciated

Thanks

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Is My 360 Dead?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 06:16:00 AM »

It sounds to me like your DVD drives laser is on it's way out... that's usually what happens when it's cooked (With any device that reads optical discs)

Can't say I've ever heard of that happening with a 360 though, seems a bit early.

Have you modified your firmware?/Do you play a lot of DVD/CD-R/RW discs a lot of times using poor quality media can burn out your laser pre-maturely.

If it is the drive you could replace it, but I'd recommend calling MS to have them fix it for you, it'd probably be cheaper and safer.

~jeff~

• Archived User
Is My 360 Dead?
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 09:38:00 PM »

I havent done any modifications to my 360. Could this be causes from my Xbox 360 Overheating???, and could it be fixed by getting one of the cooling devices (fan stand, intercooler) Because with Double agent coming out on the 17th, and with gears of war on the 12th i dont want to be missing my 360.

G0t M4xx 21

• Archived User
Is My 360 Dead?
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 11:24:00 PM »

This is a DVD drive issue, not an overheating problem, none of those fan thingies are going to help you.

If you console is still under warranty, send it back to MS and have it fixed.

Otherwise, it would be less expensive to buy a new laser off ebay or somewhere and fix the drive yourself.

~jeff~

• Archived User
Is My 360 Dead?
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 08:30:00 PM »

do you think that the laser could be causing clicking noises???  and can you replace it with just any old laser?