xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Dvd Lasers  (Read 84 times)

6h05T_R1d3R

• Archived User
Dvd Lasers
« on: July 10, 2006, 12:04:00 PM »

does anyone know if the laser from the hitachi and samsung are the same? i saw the replacement on diveneo and after asking got the reply it was for the hitachi drive, but they look identical and as far as i know the laser is a 360 specific device so it would seem, to have to be the same...right  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
well if no one knows for sure i'm going to try it myself and see what happens, i could also do a tut on replacing the dvd laser if anyone would like something like that  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)  (so far i have only replaced lasers from same brand drives, and as far as i can see revision makes no difference)

superscorer3

• Archived User
Dvd Lasers
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 01:42:00 AM »

Yes the lasers are the same from what I know.

nickbuhl

• Archived User
Dvd Lasers
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 03:44:00 PM »

I'm not trusting that source of confirmation. Are the lasers identical in the samsung and hitachi drives? Intuition tells me they wouldn't be the same, but who knows? Where can I find a samsung 360 laser?

sicknasty413

• Archived User
Dvd Lasers
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 05:39:00 PM »

Umm... im pretty sure theyre not. Why would samsungs be better at reading discs then? If they had the same laser.. that wouldnt make sense.

Of course, i have no idea. But, again, i would deffinetly not think theyre the same.

FreelanceViper

• Archived User
Dvd Lasers
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 11:26:00 PM »

A tut for the laser swap would be great I just ordered one and it would be nice if someone else has a good idea of how to swap them.

mechazawa

• Archived User
Dvd Lasers
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 11:48:00 PM »

yeah, a tut would be very nice, just ordered a laser aswell. weird though, my drive is now playing dvds fine, but not games, maybe its not able to play dual layered discs?

CattyKid

• Archived User
Dvd Lasers
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 12:18:00 PM »

QUOTE(mechazawa @ Sep 23 2006, 02:19 AM) *

yeah, a tut would be very nice, just ordered a laser aswell. weird though, my drive is now playing dvds fine, but not games, maybe its not able to play dual layered discs?

All games, just like Xbox, are on dual layer discs.  ALL of them.

malice8187

• Archived User
Dvd Lasers
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2006, 07:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(CattyKid @ Sep 23 2006, 01:49 PM) *

All games, just like Xbox, are on dual layer discs.  ALL of them.

your point, my doesnt anymore, just plays DVDs(sometimes) and CDs

sinister slipknot

• Archived User
Dvd Lasers
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2006, 03:47:00 AM »

There are plenty of samsung lasers on the US ebay, it would be easier if you just bought one of those.

Underoathx90

• Archived User
Dvd Lasers
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2006, 09:55:00 AM »

how about the ones on divineo or w.e
wont those still work if i have a samsung cuz it doesnt excatly say on the title if its a samsung or hitachi

MDA

• Archived User
Dvd Lasers
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 08:06:00 PM »

Yes you can use the laser in either drives. I have done it several times with no problems.

I will admit that I was not sure it would work the first time. I had just gotten some lasers in from China and compared them to both the Sammy and the Hitachi. They are identical. I installed one in a Sammy and another in the Hita... Both read every disc I had. Then for kicks I swapped a Sammy into a Hita. it worked as well.

Be sure to remove the anti-static solder point. Kinda hard to miss since it looks like a big glob of solder. It is best to solder wick. Then be sure you have gotten all of it. May need a magnifying glass to check.

Digital_sin

• Archived User
Dvd Lasers
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2007, 01:31:00 AM »

I had a MS28 samsung, it's laser was extremely crappy! it didn't read most of the high quality DL media i used. swapped it's laser lens with my busted hitachi and now it reads every thing i throw at it.

I'm guessing microsoft demanded that all factories make the lasers identical so that if a 360 comes in for repairs later for DDE (which must have happened ALOT with the first xbox) the repair center can just replace the lens with a new one easily without having to carry stock for both dvd drive's lens. even if microsoft decides to break the deal with one of them and sign a deal with a new manufacturer, they woudn't run into any trouble replacing laser lens for old drives.

pimpmaul69

• Archived User
Dvd Lasers
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 11:35:00 AM »

yes you can swap the lasers just fine.. me and mygameswireless.com (apology if i put your name wrong) are probably the most reliable sources in this case as being we both do this for a living in mass amounts.