xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: "360 Could Get Blu-ray"?  (Read 108 times)

ndjumpball

• Archived User
"360 Could Get Blu-ray"?
« on: January 12, 2006, 10:51:00 AM »

What the hell is m$ thinking!!!!! Not only is there going to be an external HD-dvd drive, but Blu-Ray as well?!?!?! M$ said that this will be done so the console can adapt to the winner of the "DVD format war."  I'd love to know when this will happen! either way, a portion of xbox 360 owners are gonna be pissed by buying the wrong drive or the drive that doesn't "win."  I can't even begin to imagine the controversy that is going to surface.  And I definitely can't wait to see what else M$ is going to pull out the a$s.

Mick Garvey

• Archived User
"360 Could Get Blu-ray"?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 07:34:00 PM »

I think Its a great idea, the flexibility allows the user to choose which format DVD drive they want. What I dont think is a good idea is MS saying that they wont release games on HD DVD. To me that is not a smart move...

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
"360 Could Get Blu-ray"?
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 07:31:00 AM »

What would you be more pissed about?

A. Buying a $100 external HD-DVD drive for your Xbox360 and finding out it's obsolete
or
B. Buying a $500 stand-alone HD-DVD player and finding out it's obsolete

C o s m o

• Archived User
"360 Could Get Blu-ray"?
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 08:10:00 AM »

MICK & TS are both right on here.  IMHO, $ony is foolish for locking themselves to a contested format.  If HD DVD becomes the dominant format, the PS3 will not be as useful as the flexible and affordable 360.  If Blu-Ray becomes dominant, M$ just stops selling HD-DVD add-ons and manufactures a Blu-Ray drive.  People who buy the HD-DVD players will be pissed, but that is the risk you take by trying to stay on the cutting-edge on technology...sometimes things fail.
M$ has increased its overall value with its flexibility.

whiteblur67

• Archived User
"360 Could Get Blu-ray"?
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 09:21:00 PM »

ps3 is not even in production yet(or are they (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif) ) so they still could change there evil minds

Firebat138

• Archived User
"360 Could Get Blu-ray"?
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 09:37:00 PM »

Not in production??? But they promised it would be out by May....  lol

F1R3STORM

• Archived User
"360 Could Get Blu-ray"?
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 11:07:00 PM »

anyone think it might be a hd-dvd, blu-ray combo drive? makes more sense

hamwbone

• Recovered User
"360 Could Get Blu-ray"?
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2006, 02:45:00 AM »

i think the main thing is going to be picture quality, if they use anypart of the drivers they use to run regular dvd im going to stay away and buy a stand alone unit.  if they are going to be cost cutting on this drive, and unless there is HUGE price diffrence, im going to stay away.

now if gears of war 2 needs this drive to be played, yes, i will buy it.   (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)