xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Xbox360 To Use Seagate Hard Drive  (Read 223 times)

Xtrem

• Archived User
Xbox360 To Use Seagate Hard Drive
« on: June 09, 2005, 07:46:00 AM »

MS's Xbox 360 is set to use hard drive technology from Seagate, with the company announcing that its new LD25 2.5" discs are to be used as the removable drives for the console. So, now that question is answered, maybe the modding community can get a head start eh?

Link

whet1134

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 08:13:00 AM »

I loath Seagate.  I have a 200Gb in my Xbox right now and it has awful seek noises.  It seriously sounds like the head is scraping on the platters.  I love my Samsung SpinPoint 160Gb that's in my PC, but it's performance is slower than Maxtor's.  I'd prefer Hitachi over Seagate anyday.  But, Seagate is fairly inexpensive (which is why it's in my XBox right now... 200Gb cost me $80 after taxes a year ago) so maybe it's cost cutting by MS?

jayda

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 08:14:00 AM »

ok my bad... it wasnt even from this sites news stand... sorry man.
but on that note. it dose piss me off when they do just been so lazzy copy and paste.

Xtrem

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 08:27:00 AM »

QUOTE(jayda @ Jun 9 2005, 11:25 AM)
it dose piss me off when they do just been so lazzy copy and paste.

You Have Some Serious Probs... Ohhh Yes You Are An Ass... Why Did I Copy And Paste It ¿ So That Everyone Can Express There Opinion. So Next Time STFU ! Get It ¿

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 08:41:00 AM »

beerchug.gif I have about 5 or 6 WD Caviar drives and none of them have given me any problems, 8MB Cache, quiet, and reliable, not to mention priced well... they're just great drives in my experience.

Xtrem

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 08:46:00 AM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Jun 9 2005, 11:52 AM)
Personally I like my Western Digitals

Yup Be To For PC Or Box.

Ozy

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2005, 09:00:00 AM »

Seagate hey. Does that mean that we only get 19.5Gb because of the way seagate work it out?

lostboyz

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2005, 10:05:00 AM »

ive only had one problem with a WD, but it was under warranty and i had a brand new 200gb in less than a week, great service

Achtung

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2005, 01:00:00 PM »

yeh i totally agree, I will only use seagate drives aswell. I find them to be so quiet and rock solid never had one go on me, and if it ever did 5 year warrenty is nice.

RocafellaSqualie

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2005, 01:18:00 PM »

Seagate all the way... quiet, cool, fast, and love that "beep" sound it makes when shutting off the Xbox

I have a Maxtor & WD in my PC now and the Maxtor gets loud when doing heavy tasks like archiving files. My WD is a little more quiet but you can still hear it when doing heavy tasks

thebroken

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2005, 01:29:00 PM »

someone will always find a way there is nothing that is secure

MickRaider

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2005, 01:31:00 PM »

QUOTE(draken333 @ Jun 9 2005, 03:33 PM)
So does this mean our 20GB HD that is installed in the 360 is maybe gonna be a SATA drive? Then maybe if we can upgrade the drive ourself we can use a SATA drive.

Twasi

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2005, 05:17:00 PM »

I prefer Western digital, they are great quality and pretty cheap. on sale you can get them for less than a quarter a gig (around 21 cents), The 200gig in my Box is so quiet I never hear it. I've never used a seagate but alot of people do so I guess they are relatively good also. Most likely it will be modded on time or another and I'll be switching it out for a larger one so it doesn't matter.

CattyKid

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2005, 06:19:00 PM »

I don't really have any experience with Seagate, but I know that I love my Maxtor 160 in my, well, "computer(XBox)."

mrjkwik

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2005, 01:51:00 AM »

LD25 Series - for gaming systems, home entertainment devices and small-footprint PCs

Seagate's new LD25 Series is the first consumer electronics hard drive in a compact, 2.5-inch form factor - an entirely new concept for inside-the-box CE storage that enables smaller, simpler, cooler-running and more cost-effective game consoles, home entertainment devices and small footprint media PCs. Seagate's industry leading DynaPlay technology optimizes the drive for media streaming, power consumption and content security.

LD25 Series makes it possible for game consoles like the Xbox 360 to expand their capabilities far beyond traditional gaming - to enable them to expand and keep new soundtracks for games, to rip and store entire libraries of music and video, and to play back multimedia centralizing other entertainment functions with the gaming function.

With the increasing popularity of PC systems based on clever design and Mini-ITX mainboards, small footprint PCs and PC media centers are becoming a very visible - or perhaps a less visible - part of the home entertainment and information network. The LD25 Series' unique combination of small size and media-focused design will further promote and enable these new, creative designs. Based on Seagate's industry-leading technology platforms, the LD25 Series offers 20GB, 30GB and 40GB capacities and both PATA and SATA interfaces, is designed specifically for use in installed home entertainment applications, and features Seagate's patented SoftSonic fluid dynamic bearing motors for super-quiet operation and high reliability. LD25 Series is shipping now to the MS Xbox 360 and to other consumer electronics customers and manufacturers of small-footprint PCs.

"The hard drive extends the gaming experience on Xbox 360," said Todd Holmdahl, corporate vice president, Xbox hardware. "From downloading trailers, new game levels, maps, weapons, vehicles, and more to supporting custom playlists in every game and storing video messages from friends, Seagate's LD25 Series 2.5-inch hard drive brings gaming and digital media together for the ultimate entertainment experience."

more info.
capacities  20 and 40 gb
interface  pata and sata
speed  5400rpm
cache  2mb

additional features:
backward compatible with chipsets using legacy dma modes
thin sata cables and small connector add to space saving abilities of ld25 series

compatiblity:
ld25 series is compatible with systems interfacing with standard parallel and serial ata devices.  it is also compatible with legacy dma and pio modes uses by loc-cost motherboards.

link to that info here
Pages: [1] 2